All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: yellowcard on January 22, 2024, 12:14:14 PMIt was a big psychological barrier for Glen to overcome yesterday by winning the final in Croke Park. If they had lost that game I think they would have found it hard to get back there.

For Derry as a county it could be the big breakthrough that might elevate them to believe that they can challenge to win an AI title. I think they will be one of around 5 teams that could win it this year and it certainly helps to have a few AI winners among the squad.

Yes a psychological barrier lifted and while the building blocks has been in place with their past underage success credit must go to O'Rourke for leading them to All-Ireland win a year after losing the final narrowly the year before. Main question now is what's next for Glen? Happy with their lot or do what Corofin did recently and look to win a few more All-Irelands?

For me I'd have 3 teams that could win the All Ireland this year (Derry,Kerry,Dublin)

They'll be other contenders but for any of them to reach the final I'm thinking they'll have to avoid that trio on route.

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Armamike on January 22, 2024, 01:06:56 PMDerry need to find a couple more forwards.

They've done some job of keeping everyone fit the last 2 years, that record won't continue either after 2 years like they've had.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Armamike on January 22, 2024, 01:06:56 PMDerry need to find a couple more forwards.

There was good Derry forwards on their 2020 U17 All-Ireland winning team and are few better for making good underage forwards into good senior forwards than Mickey Harte.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

Derry need more depth. You look at that game yesterday and Glen did the damage in the last ten. Kerry and Dublin won the semi finals last year in the last ten and Dublin won the final last ten really. You need depth to do that which they lack a bit of.

An Watcher

Yep, it's tyrones most recent all ireland cathal mcshane, darragh canavan and tiernan mccann were all able to come off the bench to arguably make them stronger.  Many reckon your strongest team should finish matches

Estimator

Thats 4 different Derry clubs now with All-Ireland Senior Club Football titles. Same amount as Dublin and one less than Kerry, though their totals include sides that are no longer allowed to enter the competition (UCD and East Kerry respectively).
Ulster League Champions 2009

Sonny Joe

And the interesting thing about the four, there are 25 mins at the max from Glen to Ballinderry. Bellaghy and Lavey in between that drive. A pure hot bed
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

bannside

Credit where its due. Glen were persecuted for years as a townie club that would never deliver. You only have to go back to start of Derry thread here to see that. In fact all towns were written off, as the rural clubs were the predominant forces.

Then Coleraine won it and in time Magherafelt crossed the coveted line...before Glen kicked the doors down altogether  not just winning Derry, but Ulster and now AI.

People talk about tradition, I say go ahead and make your own history. Glen proved that.

NotedObserver

Quote from: Sonny Joe on January 22, 2024, 02:01:39 PMAnd the interesting thing about the four, there are 25 mins at the max from Glen to Ballinderry. Bellaghy and Lavey in between that drive. A pure hot bed

Slaughtneil will rue their missed chance in 2017

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bannside on January 22, 2024, 02:25:19 PMCredit where its due. Glen were persecuted for years as a townie club that would never deliver. You only have to go back to start of Derry thread here to see that. In fact all towns were written off, as the rural clubs were the predominant forces.

Then Coleraine won it and in time Magherafelt crossed the coveted line...before Glen kicked the doors down altogether  not just winning Derry, but Ulster and now AI.

People talk about tradition, I say go ahead and make your own history. Glen proved that.

Agreed on making your own tradition but that only happens in special circumstances. This is a very gifted group of footballers in Glen and in Glass they have one of the top 5 players in the country. They nearly threw it away yesterday but got over the line.

Question now is can they back it up?  Good teams win 1,  great teams back it up. Had yesterday taken the edge off them enough or are they hungry for more. Much will depend on how much Harte expects of them for Derry. The body can only do so much so back to back will be a huge ask

AustinPowers

Quote from: ranch on January 22, 2024, 12:40:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 22, 2024, 12:35:53 PM
Quote from: OakLeaf on January 22, 2024, 11:44:08 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 22, 2024, 11:38:35 AMFirst senior all ireland win by a Derry team in Croke Park since 1993.

Ballinderry in 2002?
Not according to the Irish Times

Croke Park was being redeveloped when Ballinderry won it. The final was played in Thurles I'm pretty sure.

It was in Thurles. 100%

Will Malachy O Rourke  stay on with Glen or bow out   at the top?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: An Watcher on January 22, 2024, 01:43:51 PMYep, it's tyrones most recent all ireland cathal mcshane, darragh canavan and tiernan mccann were all able to come off the bench to arguably make them stronger.  Many reckon your strongest team should finish matches

A few teams have tried that and games was ended as a contest before they started to make changes.

tiempo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 22, 2024, 02:38:14 PM
Quote from: bannside on January 22, 2024, 02:25:19 PMCredit where its due. Glen were persecuted for years as a townie club that would never deliver. You only have to go back to start of Derry thread here to see that. In fact all towns were written off, as the rural clubs were the predominant forces.

Agreed on making your own tradition but that only happens in special circumstances. This is a very gifted group of footballers in Glen and in Glass they have one of the top 5 players in the country. They nearly threw it away yesterday but got over the line.

Question now is can they back it up?  Good teams win 1,  great teams back it up. Had yesterday taken the edge off them enough or are they hungry for more. Much will depend on how much Harte expects of them for Derry. The body can only do so much so back to back will be a huge ask

Appreciate you've won a few but have to disagree, great teams win 1, yes other teams come along that transcend an era and elevate themselves higher in the pantheon, but Glen and others with 1 title are still great in my view considering what it takes to get there. Be interesting to see how they go next year, really is a brilliant competition

imtommygunn

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 22, 2024, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on January 22, 2024, 01:43:51 PMYep, it's tyrones most recent all ireland cathal mcshane, darragh canavan and tiernan mccann were all able to come off the bench to arguably make them stronger.  Many reckon your strongest team should finish matches

A few teams have tried that and games was ended as a contest before they started to make changes.

Dublin should have lost to Mayo in one of those years due to this  :(

If you have stronger on the bench you need pretty strong on the pitch in the first place. Not many have that.