Ulster JFC/IFC 2021.

Started by DownFanatic, October 27, 2021, 11:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on January 10, 2022, 03:51:47 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 10, 2022, 03:01:25 PM
Coming from a club beat in 3 Ulster junior hurling finals id have given my right arm for one. Completely done over this year too but hey ho.Definitely though at least one of those years we played a team who were in wrong grade. Donegal for example putting their senior hurling champions into junior Ulster mostly a joke .
Or Monaghan putting their senior runners up into the junior championship

Always been the way though, as far back as these competitions really got going you had the like of Burt in the Ulster JHC as well as the Monaghan Senior winners too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

How often have they won it though? The fact that it's not that often they win it would near say it's the right decision.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Castleblayney 3 times. Sertanta and Burt too. Other years they had to go intermediate due to the old 5 year rule or it would have been more. Year Burt won it beat us in semi 1-12 to 1-9.

Sad to see Strabane fold(too many boys wanted the easy option at Setanta-no stomach for the hard road). They were good at this level early noughties

nrico2006

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 11, 2022, 12:12:15 PM
How often have they won it though? The fact that it's not that often they win it would near say it's the right decision.

That happens due to there being a fine line between Intermediate and Junior in Ulster, which has resulted in losses but in most cases there are very strong sides from those counties who technically should be a level up and ultimately have won the provincial (and have been forced to move up for 5 years) whereas the subsequent winners of those counties championships may not be as strong and lose in Ulster, which was evident this year with St Eunans losing to Camlough.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 11, 2022, 12:29:07 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 11, 2022, 12:12:15 PM

That happens due to there being a fine line between Intermediate and Junior in Ulster, which has resulted in losses but in most cases there are very strong sides from those counties who technically should be a level up and ultimately have won the provincial (and have been forced to move up for 5 years) whereas the subsequent winners of those counties championships may not be as strong and lose in Ulster, which was evident this year with St Eunans losing to Camlough.

Very true. I do think Eunans were caught on hop though

JoG2

Ulster Junior hurling for eg.. If you win it, are you not barred from playing in it for 3 years, like Coleraine this year?

nrico2006

Quote from: JoG2 on January 11, 2022, 12:41:48 PM
Ulster Junior hurling for eg.. If you win it, are you not barred from playing in it for 3 years, like Coleraine this year?

Used to be 5 years, reduced to 2 or 3 now.  Bit of a shock to see the Donegal winners lose to a team like Camlough, but then again St Eunans wouldn't be at the level of Setanta who they caught on the hop in the Donegal final.

imtommygunn

Fair point on the teams being out for three years after they win it. I saw castleblaney cushendun the year castleblaney  won it and tbh they were lucky enough but cushendun have went on to be a good intermediate team in Antrim.

The Tyrone teams were developing well in the Antrim leagues. I think COVID really knocked them back. I thought they might have pushed in in ulster a bit.

Milltown Row2

Good to see other Armagh teams though

Armagh played UUJ last night, skill level very good from both and some size of squad from Armagh, was great to see, a healthy hurling Ulster will only improve the standards across the boards. Gone are the days of Antrim teams expecting to waltz to an Ulster club title
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I think he plays for donegal now (or did) but Declan Coulter from Armagh was a forward who would get on a lot of teams up and down the country. Keady, Middletown etc big hurling places. Paul McCormack one of the best hurlers at queens back in my day and there were half decent antrim ones there at the time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 11, 2022, 01:58:52 PM
I think he plays for donegal now (or did) but Declan Coulter from Armagh was a forward who would get on a lot of teams up and down the country. Keady, Middletown etc big hurling places. Paul McCormack one of the best hurlers at queens back in my day and there were half decent antrim ones there at the time.

I remember heading to watch our senior as a kid play Armagh Harps (I think) in the Athletic grounds, that was their home venue way back in the day, as senior I played a few their before they were moved to some other pitch. Armagh even then had teams in Antrim leagues.

What is the Ulster leagues like? The standard must be high enough if these teams are coming through Ulster
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardchieftain

It was Pearse Ogs who used the Athletic grounds as a home venue for many years.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardchieftain on January 11, 2022, 08:35:07 PM
It was Pearse Ogs who used the Athletic grounds as a home venue for many years.

But they didn't hurl, so it was Harps I'm sure, I'm going back nearly 40 years, when I watched our seniors, over 30 years when I played

tiempo

Something in the water down there, they'll do anything for the whiff of Croke

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40783116.html

Maroon Manc