The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Quote from: Brandon on December 23, 2021, 12:38:58 AM
Will Sean Moore from ballyfin be on the panel this year ? He's probably the best forward we have in Laois and he never is on the panel anybody know why ? He played one game I seen him alright come on against Meath in the o'byrne cup near the end in stradbally a few years back.
I don't think he is part of the panel training at the moment. You'd have to assume he was asked and for whatever reasons doesn't want to be involved.

The PRO

Quote from: The PRO on December 23, 2021, 01:07:24 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 23, 2021, 12:38:58 AM
Will Sean Moore from ballyfin be on the panel this year ? He's probably the best forward we have in Laois and he never is on the panel anybody know why ? He played one game I seen him alright come on against Meath in the o'byrne cup near the end in stradbally a few years back.
I don't think he is part of the panel training at the moment. You'd have to assume he was asked and for whatever reasons doesn't want to be involved.
I'm going to correct myself here as I heard over the Christmas that Sean is part of the training panel.

Spillane

Opinions on the new format in football being potentially introduced?

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/01/04/laois-senior-football-championship-could-revert-to-group-format-for-next-season-as-proposal-in-place-to-reduce-to-12-teams-by-2024/

I was a fan of the four groups of 4 that was in place years ago, eliminates the "tough draw" scenario, for example Ballyfin were in relegation this year after losing closely to both the county finalists.

Also think the number 16 fits well as a structure, better than 12 that is being proposed. Will that consist of 2 groups of 6, or 4 groups of 3?

Spiritof86

U-20 development league starting next month :

John Kerins Cup: Laois, Kildare, Meath and Dublin

Liam O'Connor Cup: Wicklow, Offaly, Limerick and Clare

Philly McGuinness Cup: Armagh, Cavan, Westmeath, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Leitrim, Longford and Sligo

Leo Murphy Cup: Derry, Donegal, Mayo, Roscommon, Antrim, Down, Louth and Tyrone

Andrew Corden Cup: Tipperary, Waterford, Carlow and Wexford

Robbo

No change to senior next year.

Same format. groups of 4 idea rejected.
No decision on redusing numbers down from 16 either

One change that might happen from 2023 is seeding previous tears quarter-finalists in the first round.

Pugwash

I think that's a huge mistake in my opinion.

There are 16 Senior teams in name only operating in Laois at the moment, I would say at a push you would have 10 maybe 11 competitive sides and the other 5 or 6 are Intermediate standard at best.

Our long term focus should be on the implementation of a Senior Championship like they have in Kerry where small rural clubs amalgamate to form sides capable of competing at the highest level but also allow them to keep their identity and play in Intermediate/Junior Championships solo.

Shorten the league calendar, give teams 5/6 maximum and have two Championship's at senior level. One without amalgamations and another with, keep the same format for Intermediate and Junior etc.

It would stop all of this nonsense whereby club players start training in January to play Championship games in August.

Helix.

Quote from: Robbo on January 25, 2022, 07:48:59 AM
No change to senior next year.

Same format. groups of 4 idea rejected.
No decision on redusing numbers down from 16 either

One change that might happen from 2023 is seeding previous tears quarter-finalists in the first round.
A bit like turkeys voting for Christmas. The seeding element proposed looked a bit shady. Would be great to have a 12 team format like Kerry.

Butch Cassidy

Great news on Laoistoday that the number of GPOs is to double with the new recruits in place this month. I know Portlaoise and Port are going to avail of this which is great news for the urban population, what other clubs will be getting them?

clonadmad

Laois juvenile amalgamations 2022

Under 13 Football -

o Ballyfin (Mountrath, Slieve Bloom & 1 Castletown player )
o Ballyroan Abbey (plus 1 Clough Ballacolla player)
o Colt & Shanahoe (plus 3 Trumera players)
o Kilcavan & The Rock
o Na Fianna Og (Arles Kilcruise, Arles Killeen, Barrowhouse)
o Spink & Crettyard
o St Pauls (Courtwood & Emo)
o Stradbally Parish Gaels (Annanough, Stradbally, Timahoe)

Under 15 Football -

o Ballyfin Gaels (Mountrath, Slieve Bloom & 3 Castletown players )
o Ballyroan Abbey Gaels (Colt, Shanahoe, plus 2 Clough Ballacolla players, plus 2 Trumera players)
o Crettyard & Spink
o Mountmellick Parish Gaels (Clonaslee St Manmans, Kilcavan, Mountmellick & The Rock)
o Na Fianna Og (Arles Kilcruise, Arles Killeen & Barrowhouse,)

Under 17 Football –

o Ballyfin Gaels (Mountrath & Slieve Bloom)
o Ballyroan Abbey Gaels (Colt, Shanahoe & Clough Ballacolla)
o Mountmellick Parish Gaels (Clonaslee St Manmans, Kilcavan, Mountmellick, The Rock)
o Na Fianna Og (Arles Kilcruise, Arles Killeen & Barrowhouse)
o Crettyard & Spink

Laois Rising

What has happened that Crettyard are no longer in with Na Fianna Og. Thought things were going well there with good success at minor and U20 last year.

The PRO

Quote from: Laois Rising on March 09, 2022, 11:15:45 AM
What has happened that Crettyard are no longer in with Na Fianna Og. Thought things were going well there with good success at minor and U20 last year.
Don't know where Crettyard going with Spink leaves Park Ratheniska who seemed to have a good set up at under 15, 17.

Jd

Ballyroan Abbey gaels have an amalgamation of 6 clubs at one level...... From one of the most dominant underage setups of recent times.I'm a bit surprised it was allowed but I suppose the young people needs some option for football.

clonadmad

Spink were in an amalgamation with park for the past 3/4 years and it seemed to be working well for both clubs,they won an u13A last year and it worked well at 15 and 17 and u20 also

For reasons best known to themselves spink went to Crettyard who won an u13 c last year on their own and Crettyard were part of the na Fianna amalgamation who were beaten in the minor A final,won the u20b with a very young team and were competitive at u15 also in 2021

So there's 2 stable long term amalgamations broken up

Ballyroan Gaels at u15 will have 40 plus young lads on that panel alone

If lads want to figure out where the problems in laois football will be in 2025-2030

Here's a good starting point

Butch Cassidy

Slightly off topic but strange that there's no Ballyroan player on the minor panel? They've been cleaning up at underage level, just surprised to see no one on it

Laois man

A lads 6 clubs together with a senior club in one grade. Where would you see it.