Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrdub

Quote from: whitey on December 19, 2021, 04:19:23 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on December 19, 2021, 03:00:05 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2021, 10:56:47 PM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on December 17, 2021, 10:16:27 PM
Removed a few posts that were uncomplimentary at least.

Let's keep it somewhat decent.

Yes, in hindsight - remembering Philly's on field record of gouging players was poor form and I apologise for this. Lets just remember the good times.

The same Philly McMahon who was manly enough NOT to divulge the name of the scum b"stard who sledged him about his dead brother. Which one of the two were in the right then?
The man has done so much not only for Ballymun and Dublin, but for everyone on this island with drink, drug and mental problems. He willingly travels the length and breadth of the country, visits clubs etc. He's certainly no angel no the pitch, he did what it took to win, but there's more to Philly McMahon than what you see

So you think intentionally injuring/maiming an opponent  in order to win a football game is laudable?

Definitely not, read what I said..." He's certainly no angel on the pitch", and I will never condone any player deliberately hurting another player, eg Cillian O'Connor, Ricey et al, but ffs give the guy some credit for what he's done for young ones everywhere

whitey

Quote from: Tyrdub on December 19, 2021, 04:37:55 PM

Yes, in hindsight - remembering Philly's on field record of gouging players was poor form and I apologise for this. Lets just remember the good times.

The same Philly McMahon who was manly enough NOT to divulge the name of the scum b"stard who sledged him about his dead brother. Which one of the two were in the right then?
The man has done so much not only for Ballymun and Dublin, but for everyone on this island with drink, drug and mental problems. He willingly travels the length and breadth of the country, visits clubs etc. He's certainly no angel no the pitch, he did what it took to win, but there's more to Philly McMahon than what you see

So you think intentionally injuring/maiming an opponent  in order to win a football game is laudable?

Definitely not, read what I said..." He's certainly no angel on the pitch", and I will never condone any player deliberately hurting another player, eg Cillian O'Connor, Ricey et al, but ffs give the guy some credit for what he's done for young ones everywhere

He's a fantastic footballer

He's a fantastic community worker

And as a footballer he is without doubt the biggest tr**p of the last 10 years

Tyrdub

Quote from: whitey on December 19, 2021, 05:01:46 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on December 19, 2021, 04:37:55 PM

He's a fantastic footballer

He's a fantastic community worker

And as a footballer he is without doubt the biggest tr**p of the last 10 years

Looks like we are never going to agree on every facet of Philly McMahon

"One man's rubbish in another man's treasure"

One thing we can agree on though is that every victorious team needs, or has had, the enforcer type on their team. Ricey, Crowley, McGeeney etc. I would suggest the the O'Connors would be in the tr**p mode as well but, then again, I did say " victorious team".

whitey

The O Connors are dirty but they're not scumbags

I don't ever recall them biting or eye gouging opponents-that's my definition on a sc**bag

You probably have a different definition and if you do, you're perfectly entitled to it

Tyrdub

Quote from: whitey on December 19, 2021, 05:29:48 PM

I don't ever recall them biting or eye gouging opponents-that's my definition on a sc**bag

You probably have a different definition and if you do, you're perfectly entitled to it

Like I said, there is lots we will not agree on

Have a good Christmas

whitey

Quote from: Tyrdub on December 19, 2021, 05:35:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 19, 2021, 05:29:48 PM

Like I said, there is lots we will not agree on

Have a good Christmas

Same to you

TheGreatest

One of the best, big personality, brilliant player and as tough as nails, in his prime he was one of the best defenders in the country, circa 2013 to 2017 ish.

Brought some big named players on tours around Croke park a few times.

Got abuse in abundance from all angles, he did his talking and fighting on the pitch, never off it, has the accolades to back it up,

Well done Philly on a great career.

TheGreatest

And the usual comments from the Muppets and begrudgers... And as usual one county sticks out more than others .....

This is the level of abuse he got, while trying to get to his sick and dieing father to celebrate, Mayo fans were throwing digs at him, that's the calibre of a Mayo fans/men..

"He normally came down to the fence at the Hogan Stand and I would run over to him and give him a hug. Over the years that was the ritual – hug me da and me mam," explains Philly.
"But he couldn't get down because he was too ill. So I jumped over the fence, we had beat Mayo and there was Mayo fans pulling out at me and getting their digs in at me.
"So I started climbing over the seats. There was a couple of them pulling out at me and I said: 'Listen I'm getting up to me da there' and a couple of Dublin fans were saying: 'Leave him alone' so I jumped up the seats and it was a special moment for me.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2019/10/19/news/my-father-s-life-inspires-me-to-do-the-best-i-can-with-mine-says-philly-mcmahon-1742940/

hoynevalley

I think Davy Fitzgerald made a great point about online trolling recently. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/davy-fitzgerald-internet-trolls-have-a-sickness-1.4711854

a couple posters on this thread just might be having tough time with the pandemic taking anger out on amateur players

"Internet trolls have a 'sickness'
'I think they have their own issues they have to deal with and I would feel sorry for them'

hoynevalley

Quote from: whitey on November 23, 2021, 01:11:21 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 23, 2021, 12:47:33 PM
What a warrior Colm Boyle was.

That rattle he hit Comer will live long in my memory

Comer only 19 at time. Boyle was lucky to stay on.

hoynevalley

Joey Holden gone. Very underrated full back.

whitey

Quote from: hoynevalley on December 20, 2021, 10:57:00 AM

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/davy-fitzgerald-internet-trolls-have-a-sickness-1.4711854

a couple posters on this thread just might be having tough time with the pandemic taking anger out on amateur players

'I think they have their own issues they have to deal with and I would feel sorry for them'

So you think someone who has bitten, eye gouged and head butted opponents should be canonized?

Relative to the disgusting sledging that occurred regarding his deceased brother......maybe someone should ask St Philly what was the worst thing he ever said to an opponent?

TheGreatest

Quote from: whitey on December 20, 2021, 12:57:59 PM

So you think someone who has bitten, eye gouged and head butted opponents should be canonized?

Relative to the disgusting sledging that occurred regarding his deceased brother......maybe someone should ask St Philly what was the worst thing he ever said to an opponent?

No angel, absolutely, but he's ours, fact is though, 8 AI'S later, he has had a great career and life with the Dubs, i am sure he is not bothered about what we discuss, not sure he ever got done for any incident mentioned above i.e proof, maybe I'm wrong here..

I use to hate Ricey, hate him, when Tyrone were beating us out the gate in the 00s, until he finished playing, met him in Mcgowans after a match, locked, decent guy.

whitey

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 20, 2021, 01:28:33 PM

No angel, absolutely, but he's ours, fact is though, 8 AI'S later, he has had a great career and life with the Dubs, i am sure he is not bothered about what we discuss, not sure he ever got done for any incident mentioned above i.e proof, maybe I'm wrong here..

I use to hate Ricey, hate him, when Tyrone were beating us out the gate in the 00s, until he finished playing, met him in Mcgowans after a match, locked, decent guy.

So here's a philosophical question for you

If Sam was on the line and your team could win by intentionally injuring an opposition player what would you want the Dublin player to do

(I'm not talking about a wild reckless challenge-I'm talking about a sly off the ball assault that could
Lead to a serious injury to an opponent)

hoynevalley

Who was bitten/head butted. Philip is no saint but I'm calling out trolling an amateuer player with words like tr**p and sc**bag.