"It's time for the GAA to drop the national anthem"

Started by seafoid, September 21, 2016, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2021, 10:23:32 AM
Quote from: general_lee on December 13, 2021, 09:55:47 AM
On the face of it it's only a small thing, but singing the National anthem before a big match or final was (and to a certain extent still is) one of the few occasions when "nordies" got to express their identity collectively, free from any threat of harassment. Personally not fussed if it was confined to finals only, but I wouldn't underestimate the meaning it holds for people in the north - something some of our southern cousins would do well to remember.

I think before a big game AI semis, AI finals maybe and Provincial finals i think sure play it. But before McKenna cup, league games its a bit of a joke. You have players stretching, spitting out water during it. You have supporters chatting through it. Its the anthem of our country and if it is not going to be respected then don't embarrass yourself by playing it. Finally in the broader context if it becomes a barrier to other people from different backgrounds playing our games then I have no problem at all getting shot of it altogether, my identify as an Irishman is bigger and more complex than a 60 second song.
100%. If it gets more people playing our games I don't see the harm.

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 13, 2021, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2021, 10:23:32 AM
On the face of it it's only a small thing, but singing the National anthem before a big match or final was (and to a certain extent still is) one of the few occasions when "nordies" got to express their identity collectively, free from any threat of harassment. Personally not fussed if it was confined to finals only, but I wouldn't underestimate the meaning it holds for people in the north - something some of our southern cousins would do well to remember.

I think before a big game AI semis, AI finals maybe and Provincial finals i think sure play it. But before McKenna cup, league games its a bit of a joke. You have players stretching, spitting out water during it. You have supporters chatting through it. Its the anthem of our country and if it is not going to be respected then don't embarrass yourself by playing it. Finally in the broader context if it becomes a barrier to other people from different backgrounds playing our games then I have no problem at all getting shot of it altogether, my identify as an Irishman is bigger and more complex than a 60 second song.
Very rarely if ever see players not giving the anthem full respect snd attention and can definitely say no one in the stand has ever chatted through it at any game I've been at, but anyway just my experience. Completely disagree on your second point, don't think we should be ditching our national anthem to pander to people that have no interest in our sport or culture.

And you know for sure that they aren't interested in our sport or culture? There were Irish speakers in unionist circles 100 years ago. There is a woman from a loyalist background (whos name escapes me at the moment) who I see on TV learning Irish and involved in a new GAA club up in Belfast. Why cant we budge a bit? You are not giving anything away, a song that is 100 years old invented for a 26 county state. Look at what the union jack waving, GSTQ mob have done  to NI soccer, do you want to be the other side to that coin. A united Ireland is coming btw, it would be best to help people to come into our organisations rather to freeze  them out over a song.

pbat

I like the anthem before games but I am open to the prospect of dropping it for the correct reasons. If its to reach a hand out to genuine protestants then why not, but I don't feel the need as the type who may consider GAA are the same lads who have no issues going to Dublin to watch the Irish Rugby team.

But if its just to appease certain people like the ignoramous below, Jamie Bryson and his knuckle dragger friends I wouldn't even consider it.

Lord John Kilclooney
@KilclooneyJohn
Rory Best,now a GAA Club member and GAA supporter, did not contribute a positive commentary for Ulster Rugby in this evening's game in France!!
9:17 PM · Dec 11, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pbat

O Hanlon's of Poyntzpass were he is from held a cross community day to honour him a couple of months ago, Banbridge Rugby club came up and they played a half an half rugby/football. Not sure he joined the club but it was in all the local papers.

charlieTully

Quote from: Rossfan on December 13, 2021, 06:59:38 PM
What Club did Rory Best join?

His father has been a member for years. Rory and Simons lads both play for OHanlons.

Baile Brigín 2

Great. But knock the bewilderment as to why themmuns aren't interested on the head.

Armagh18

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 14, 2021, 11:28:37 AM

Great. But knock the bewilderment as to why themmuns aren't interested on the head.
Is there many that care if themmuns are interested or not? If they are that's great if not it's no loss.

Rossfan

Quote from: charlieTully on December 14, 2021, 11:03:11 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 13, 2021, 06:59:38 PM
What Club did Rory Best join?

His father has been a member for years. Rory and Simons lads both play for OHanlons.
Very good.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM