Referees Section (All Queries on Rulings Welcomed) No Smart Arses/Tyre Kickers

Started by Offical Line, November 17, 2006, 04:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Official line
I take it you can only advance the ball if its a free, and a sideline ball isnt a free and there is no advantage rule. I think this tells its own story, we the great unwashed dont know the rules correctly. we think we do but we dont!!!

i think this thread could be a brillient one if it isnt abused, so guys take it easy
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Guillem2

What is the rule in football on playing the ball on the ground. I was told that its ok for a player laying on thr ground to palm it away from himself but I've also seen it blown for a free. This is something even the refs aren't sure about.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

oneillcup2007

Official Line you are very welcome.  Lets see how you would deal with this interpretation?
1) Forward hits marker off the ball. 
2) referee awards free kick to attacking team still unaware of incident.  Umpire raises flag and walks 2 yards onto field.  Opposition stops.
3) Unmarked Forward runs for quick free kick slots the goal past umpire and Goalkeeper (umpire still on field of play)
4) Referee consults with umpire sends goalscorer off, then allows goal and 14 man team wins by 3 points. 
Were the rules correctly applied here or what should have happened differently, to protect a team that dosent strike?

David McKeown

I have a quick question that despite all the reading of the rule book I have been doing recently for this project I cant find an answer to.  A team is awarded a free kick, the player opts to take it from his hands, the player then kicks the ball and catches it again.  In essence the player has merely soloed it, is this legal and if so can a player kick a ball say 10 yards, catch it again before bouncing and be allowed to take the free kick again?  Im not trying to be smart with this, this is something I have wondered about.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

vengaboy

I was just wonderin as I got blew up for this the other day are u allowed to handpass the ball behind yourself a la brian o'driscoll but with a clear striking action? I mean to sort of face one way and go to hand pass then turn your hand around and flick it behind yourself?

Sky Blue

OakLeaf

Quote from: Offical Line on November 17, 2006, 07:15:55 PM
Gabriel Hurl,

Your position on the Advantage Rule is incorrect, if you read the rules properly you will see what i mean, i am not acting the smart arse, there is no rule titled Advantage rule, however in the Rules of Football and hurling, 4.36 in football rule will clarify it for you. Your answer with the awarding a 10 yrds further up the line is also incorrect for dissent, the player can be cautioned, you cannot move the ball a further 10yrds up the line.

I would suggest that you read the book in more detail Gabriel, even 1.2?

Offical Line, I believe you are incorrect about being able to advance the ball from a side line for dissent. We had this discussion with Pat Mc Eneany last year and he in turn, had discussed it previously at the National referee's seminar. You CAN move the ball 13m for dissent even when it's a sideline ball. You CAN'T move it straight up the line; you must move it infield in a direct line towards the goals. It actually surprised me but it's true.

It's not called an advantage rule in Gaelic so as not to confuse it with Soccer and Rugby. In both of those sports the referee can play "advantage" with the option of bringing play back if it doesn't turn into an genuine advantage. In Gaelic we can't bring play back. If it doesn't turn into an advantage then it's tough luck as they say.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Guillem2 on November 18, 2006, 07:57:50 AM
What is the rule in football on playing the ball on the ground. I was told that its ok for a player laying on thr ground to palm it away from himself but I've also seen it blown for a free. This is something even the refs aren't sure about.

You can only play the ball on the ground with your hand, if you had position of the ball and fell to the ground. If the ball comes loose as you fall you can plam the ball away from you on the ground and can even score by doing this.

OakLeaf

Quote from: oneillcup2007 on November 18, 2006, 10:37:55 AM
Official Line you are very welcome.  Lets see how you would deal with this interpretation?
1) Forward hits marker off the ball. 
2) referee awards free kick to attacking team still unaware of incident.  Umpire raises flag and walks 2 yards onto field.  Opposition stops.
3) Unmarked Forward runs for quick free kick slots the goal past umpire and Goalkeeper (umpire still on field of play)
4) Referee consults with umpire sends goalscorer off, then allows goal and 14 man team wins by 3 points. 
Were the rules correctly applied here or what should have happened differently, to protect a team that dosent strike?

The goal must be disallowed and play should be re-started from the position of the incident with a hop ball. The bottom line is that, nothing that happened after that incident, is valid play until the hop ball re-starts play (unless off course if some else struck during that time).

oneillcup2007

Its a totally unique situation which was well documented at the time.
Th referee had stopped play to award a free kick to the attacking team.  The kick was take quickly to the now unmarked forward who scored.  There is no doubt that the Umpire was too far forward because a defender near clattred him trying to get back.  I think it was a horrendous error of judgement, but I also think it is an interesting case study and an amusing one on hindsight.  The attacker(forward) as  you may well have guessed was an old school teacher of your own.  The defender a man who would have liked to serve you beer.   

vengaboy

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on November 18, 2006, 01:01:13 PM
QuoteI was just wonderin as I got blew up for this the other day are u allowed to handpass the ball behind yourself a la brian o'driscoll but with a clear striking action? I mean to sort of face one way and go to hand pass then turn your hand around and flick it behind yourself?

It sounds legal, did you try and get clarifcation from the referee why it was not legal?

No mac eoghain I didnt try and gain clarification as such, he seemed to be in no mood to discuss after what I said to him.  ;)

Offical Line

Sorry Lads been away on duty, i think the scenarios are excellent that are comming in, and some great topics of discussion, In Responce to Oakleaf, i did not state you could move the ball further up the line if read my reply correctly, so i believe you have accused my in the wrong, i accept your apology.

This as stated can be an excellent thread , don,t abuse it lads we have have different interpretations- and at times are Rules are not Clear and Concise which leads to aggravation to say the least, however we can all learn from the scenarios placed here and help each other. I started this tread for everyone to contribute and its Great to See..

Heres one!!

Player taking the kick out, mis-kicks from edge of small rectangle by the way(It was a wide ball), ball travels about 8mtrs and his corner back comes in takes picks up the Ball and clears in down field? What should be the Resulting Action of the REFEREE?

Will try to come in as often as possible,and contribute KEEP IT UP!

oneillcup2007

In a kickout scenario If a goalkeeper kicks the ball off his own post can he take the rebound and play on?

Offical Line

Mac Eoghain, what do you base that answer on? How does he kick the ball off his own post? (Seems vitually impossible to me-However who says ive seen it all!) Mr oneillcup2007!

vengaboy

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on November 19, 2006, 10:23:35 AM
QuotePlayer taking the kick out, mis-kicks from edge of small rectangle by the way(It was a wide ball), ball travels about 8mtrs and his corner back comes in takes picks up the Ball and clears in down field? What should be the Resulting Action of the REFEREE?

Surely its cancel the kick out and throw the ball up at the edge of the large rectangle.

Yeah thats correct, however if the keeper had kicked it only 13m and the ball had stayed inside the 21 and no one was inside the 21 at the moment he kicked it, then if the corner back comes in and picks it up it is play on.

Now here's an interesting one, what is everyone's opinions on the "rolling ball"?