2010 SHC Proposals for Special Congress

Started by Lecale2, August 25, 2009, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

The CCC's preferred option for 2010 has been published. Carlow get to play in the Liam McCarthy with no relgation throughout the tiers.

Next year there will be 1 county relegated to Christy Ring provided it's Carlow that lose the play off. If it's any other county then the rules will be looked at again!

No promotion for Christy Ring winners next year to bring the numbers back to even numbers. What's the point in winning Christy Ring?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=116827

Farrandeelin

Sure if it's Antrim/Laois and not Carlow they could at least have the winners of the Christy Ring cup promoted. There'd be 14 teams then. (an even number)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AFS

Surely the whole purpose of the tiered structure was so that teams could steadily build themselves up to the point where they are capable of competing at the highest level. I can't understand the hurry to boot Carlow, Antrim or Laois back down the tiers, and to prevent Westmeath, Down or anyone else from moving up. You'd almost think that the traditional counties are happy enough with only having 9 or 10 decent hurling counties to contend with  ::)

INDIANA

Quote from: AFS on August 26, 2009, 04:03:46 PM
Surely the whole purpose of the tiered structure was so that teams could steadily build themselves up to the point where they are capable of competing at the highest level. I can't understand the hurry to boot Carlow, Antrim or Laois back down the tiers, and to prevent Westmeath, Down or anyone else from moving up. You'd almost think that the traditional counties are happy enough with only having 9 or 10 decent hurling counties to contend with  ::)
[/b]

Spot on- as I've said before the snobbery among some of them is incredible. Mike mac's comments this year are a case study in that. Everyone expected Dublin to get relegated from Div 1 this year and that would have been fine but because its clare..............you know the rest.

Gnevin

Anyone think this system would work?

"The team the comes last in each of the tier excluding the bottom is relegated while the team that comes top of each tier takes the relegated teams place excluding the winners of the top tier no matter who they are"

Too simplistic?

The proposal is a  typical GAA solution to a typical GAA problem
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AFS

Quote from: Gnevin on August 26, 2009, 06:59:51 PM
Anyone think this system would work?

"The team the comes last in each of the tier excluding the bottom is relegated while the team that comes top of each tier takes the relegated teams place excluding the winners of the top tier no matter who they are"

Too simplistic?

The proposal is a  typical GAA solution to a typical GAA problem

Yes. If a team like Carlow puts in years of work to fight their way into the top tier they should be given more than a year to try to establish themselves there. The one up, one down system won't change anything. There'll be the same 2 or 3 yo yo teams jumping up and down every couple of years.

Instead of rushing to get the number of McCarthy cup teams back down to 12, they should be planning to expand it to 14, 16, etc.

stevecw

Ok yes its good that they decided to include Carlow as we have surely earned that right after winning Christy Ring 2 years in a row.
While i admire that...i don't like what they are planning for 2010.

Ok so its a 1 down & nobody to be promoted thing???
1st of all regarding relegation...what if Antrim are bottom team again next year???? Thats only year 2 of their 3 year exemption!!? So once again will they escape?? And hope gaa are ready for that scenario as it could easily happen as Antrim are no better than some of the so called weaker sides that are actually Leinster counties.

Take this year Laois beat Antrim in championship, while Carlow beat Antrim in league. Ok in final league standings Antrim were ahead of Carlow...but then Carlow finished ahead of Laois!!

Its a mess, and worst part of all about this is no promotion for Christy Ring Cup winners!!! :o
That is just crazy and will mean that no team will give a sh!te about the CR next year.

Why the hell can't they just say ok we have 13 now...no relegation for next year and promote the CR champs who will be either Down/Westmeath or Mayo.
Ok we have 14 for 2011....that can only be good to have 14 teams competing for Liam McCarthy!
Then lets get angry and say ok relegation for worst....by then Antrim will be at year 3 of their crazy "exemption"...so if they are worst they go!!

Maybe that makes too much sense to be considered?? Any opinions?

Lecale2

I like your thinking Stevecw. I know the Down lads put in a huge effort this year because there was promotion as a target. Take it away and what's the point?

Gnevin

Quote from: stevecw on August 27, 2009, 02:07:16 AM
Ok yes its good that they decided to include Carlow as we have surely earned that right after winning Christy Ring 2 years in a row.
While i admire that...i don't like what they are planning for 2010.

Ok so its a 1 down & nobody to be promoted thing???
1st of all regarding relegation...what if Antrim are bottom team again next year???? Thats only year 2 of their 3 year exemption!!? So once again will they escape?? And hope gaa are ready for that scenario as it could easily happen as Antrim are no better than some of the so called weaker sides that are actually Leinster counties.

Take this year Laois beat Antrim in championship, while Carlow beat Antrim in league. Ok in final league standings Antrim were ahead of Carlow...but then Carlow finished ahead of Laois!!

Its a mess, and worst part of all about this is no promotion for Christy Ring Cup winners!!! :o
That is just crazy and will mean that no team will give a sh!te about the CR next year.

Why the hell can't they just say ok we have 13 now...no relegation for next year and promote the CR champs who will be either Down/Westmeath or Mayo.
Ok we have 14 for 2011....that can only be good to have 14 teams competing for Liam McCarthy!
Then lets get angry and say ok relegation for worst....by then Antrim will be at year 3 of their crazy "exemption"...so if they are worst they go!!

Maybe that makes too much sense to be considered?? Any opinions?
The elephant in the room is are they good enough ? Are Carlow better than anyone in this years McCarthy? Would the beat anyone?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tayto

We'll find out next year! ... seriously though they should be able to give antrim - laois a right rattle.

Lecale2

QuoteThe elephant in the room is are they good enough ?

The elephant in the room is can anyone beat Kilkenny. We cant have a one county championship so the others are all included to make up the number. Carlow are there on merit after winning the Christy Ring and good luck to them.

Gnevin

Quote from: Lecale2 on August 27, 2009, 01:43:40 PM
QuoteThe elephant in the room is are they good enough ?

The elephant in the room is can anyone beat Kilkenny. We cant have a one county championship so the others are all included to make up the number. Carlow are there on merit after winning the Christy Ring and good luck to them.

Yes I wasn't saying they shouldn't get a go at it . I was saying are there enough good teams to maintain 14 in the McCarthy Cup.  At the moment I think 12 is the right number.

slow corner back

I think the three year exemption to allow counties a chance to improve ( ie Antrim ) is not a bad idea buit it has to apply fairly to all counties and not just one. Why are Carlow not allowed three years in which to compete in the Leinster championship? If after three years they are getting beat out the door by everyone ( I do not believe they will be ) then let Carlow decide if they want to remain in the Liam McCarthy or drop down to the CR to rebuild. In the meantime any team winning the CR should get three years to establish themselves as a senior team. On a related point all the relegation play offs are soul destroying for the counties involved and normally take up two to three sundays in July and August thus restricting club games in the affected counties ( normally Antrim and Laois). The footballers got rid of the Tommy Murphy cup this year and Antrim, Wicklow and Sligo all gave good accounts of themselves in the senior championship. Why are we insisting on the hurling championship being a closed shop?