John Hume

Started by Eamonnca1, August 03, 2020, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 04, 2020, 10:07:11 AM
Brilliant man - the cornerstone the peace process was built on.
Cornerstone and architect, all other players shifted their position, were drawn/dragged into the process and Hume was the fulcrum.
How he had to share the Nobel prize with Trimble beats me.

gallsman

When it's Trimble's turn I'll not sure he'll get the same level of affection or plaudits from world leaders.

Gold

Quote from: Main Street on August 05, 2020, 10:17:55 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 04, 2020, 10:07:11 AM
Brilliant man - the cornerstone the peace process was built on.
Cornerstone and architect, all other players shifted their position, were drawn/dragged into the process and Hume was the fulcrum.
How he had to share the Nobel prize with Trimble beats me.

Rank wasnt it. Trimble wasnt fit to lace his 4th cousin's boots.
Although as he would say there could be no winners. It was the price that had to be paid for peace
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

dublin7

Quote from: Rois on August 05, 2020, 02:57:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 05, 2020, 01:15:02 PM
A lovely mass covered tastefully by RTE
Fr Farren did him justice with his homily.  A nice thing about the imposed restrictions is that it very much felt like a personal funeral and yes, the key politicians were there, but it wasn't a circus.  It was like it was one of our family.

I watched the funeral service on TV and couldn't help but compare the quiet dignity shown by the Hume family with the political show put on by SF for Bobby Storey's funeral a few weeks ago.

It was a nice simple service and fair play to RTE for broadcasting it in a tasteful manner

Itchy

Quote from: dublin7 on August 06, 2020, 06:37:45 AM
Fr Farren did him justice with his homily.  A nice thing about the imposed restrictions is that it very much felt like a personal funeral and yes, the key politicians were there, but it wasn't a circus.  It was like it was one of our family.

I watched the funeral service on TV and couldn't help but compare the quiet dignity shown by the Hume family with the political show put on by SF for Bobby Storey's funeral a few weeks ago.

It was a nice simple service and fair play to RTE for broadcasting it in a tasteful manner

Comparing funerals now, stay classy Dublin7.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Itchy on August 06, 2020, 08:25:14 AM

Everyone is saying and thinking it though. Arrogance versus humility. And that is no slight on Bobby Storeys family, may he rest in peace. But it is fair comment and a very relevant one directed at SF.

ardtole

I think privately even some in sinn fein are saying it was an own goal. Anyone who had to bury a loved one during the restrictions must have felt badly let down.

Itchy

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 06, 2020, 08:49:44 AM

Everyone is saying and thinking it though. Arrogance versus humility. And that is no slight on Bobby Storeys family, may he rest in peace. But it is fair comment and a very relevant one directed at SF.

Then take it to the Sinn Fein thread and add it to your list of complaints.

Rois

Quote from: Itchy on August 06, 2020, 09:11:00 AM
Then take it to the Sinn Fein thread and add it to your list of complaints.
Seriously, please heed this.  This thread is about John Hume the legend. 

imtommygunn

What was the crunchie story?

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2020, 09:25:06 AM
What was the crunchie story?

Apparently he liked his chocolate bars. Heard something about the grandkids used to send him bars for his birthdays, and his son saying that John said a crunchie was less fattening because it had loads of air in it.

imtommygunn

Applesisapples

Firstly, we did not see the inside of the church for Storey's funeral, but it has been said that there were 120 socially distanced in the church and this has not been refuted, secondly SDLP quite correctly provided a guard of honour for JH. Also the good people of Derry rightly lined the streets for him. The SDLP or Hume family could not control that anymore than SF could those who lined the streets of Belfast, and there would also be a bigger tradition of doing so for republican funerals. Not about comparisons but Irish people will always honour their dead at funerals.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2020, 09:59:57 AM

And tell us this....was his coffin nicer than Storey's too?

Poor taste. As Rois said yous would be betrer taking elsewhere

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2020, 10:04:47 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 06, 2020, 08:49:44 AM

Isn't it? They might see that differently.

My point is, I do not think they would not have had full control of that situation, if they did well it would have been a poor decision albeit at a very difficult time for them.