John Hume

Started by Eamonnca1, August 03, 2020, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Rois on August 04, 2020, 01:37:58 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 04, 2020, 09:48:20 AM

he also got unbending prejudicial unionists with a superiority complex to consider and accept that they must share power with the peasants. For me that was actually his biggest achievement.
I firmly agree with this point.  John's focus on civil rights and equality was spot on and wedged open a door for nationalists that previously wasn't open in terms of senior roles in government and commerce in particular.  He was part of the first cohort to benefit from free secondary education, which was another accelerant towards equality.

Another initiative the ruling elites in "Ulster" did their utmost to prevent and was forced upon them.

John probably knew he needed the international element to get the Brits and the unionists to seriously consider some form of parity of esteem and developed relations with politicians in the US culminating of getting the ear of Clinton and the European ties to secure the "peace" money used to bring the militant element onside (on both sides).

Trimble was put in a no win situation as the eyes of the world were on him as Unionism has always been forced to deliver in their eyes are concessions but in nationalist eyes is parity.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2020, 02:05:19 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 04, 2020, 01:50:52 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2020, 01:19:35 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 04, 2020, 12:53:43 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 04, 2020, 12:47:57 PM
People using John Humes death to throw the boot into SF really need to have a word with themselves.

As they say here is Derry "Take yer oil"

They did attack his house on many many occasions
You've derailed the thread to have a pointless dig at SF. Bit of sense maybe.

Look, tá an fhírinne searbh.
I am from Derry.

John brought so much to our city from the bridge, airport, Seagate and of course peace. He done this under constant verbal attacks from loyalists like Gergory Campbell and physical/verbal attacks from IRA in Derry. This is not opinion. It is fact. I'm ashamed to say that I still have clear memories at 11 years of age been instructed by republicans in my street to attack SDLP canvassing cars in the same fashion we attacked the army/police. This was the normal approach locally to John and his party. You know "The stoops"

As I said "Take yer oil". All of this is about John and it is not derailment to say it. I am just presenting the same facts we hear on the news, but in a more real, raw manner.

Whatever you reckon. You can't walk past a thread without a bit of SF bashing. Some of it is justified. But it's got to the stage now where you look like you've got one motive on this board such is the volume of posts having a dig at SF. And I'm always wary of people with agendas.

gardening, wildlife and hurling are my big interests.
But I think you will agree that most of the active threads on here are related one way or the other to local politics. If me and few others were not on here it would be very unbalanced and the board is clearly oversubscribed with supporters of one political party. That's fine too, but if I start telling lies then it would be fair to criticise me

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/martin-mansergh-john-hume-ensured-the-emancipation-of-catholics-in-the-north-1.4321084?mode=amp

"In 1925, the Free State's minister for justice Kevin O'Higgins complained to the British that, since partition, Catholic nationalists in the North were living in the same conditions of Catholics prior to Catholic emancipation. John Hume, whose politics embodied the ideals of the civil rights movement, made the biggest contribution to their renewed emancipation."

https://youtu.be/O3G1bwD0ao0
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnnycool on August 04, 2020, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 04, 2020, 10:13:05 AM
Quote from: Itchy on August 04, 2020, 09:48:20 AM
Lots of great stories coming out about this great man. I particularly like one about how he met with ETA and Spanish Loyalists and got them talking to each other, told ETA that violence was futile and told the Spanish Loyalist that he should accept that but for an accident of birth he might be doing exactly the same as his ETA opponent. So true.

Unfortunately I then had to listen to that utter w**ker John Bruton on Drive Time this morning pretty much equating Hume with his own anti nationalist sentiment which is clearly false - I doubt Hume would have much time for Brutons politics. He spent his entire interview saying that Hume got terrorists to give up violence, never mentioned anything else. But it was much more than that simple thing that Mr Bruton would have us all believe, he also got unbending prejudicial unionists with a superiority complex to consider and accept that they must share power with the peasants. For me that was actually his biggest achievement.

Bruton is a tool.
But Adams on radio ulster yesterday was embarrassing, made it all about him and SF. Was a bit more magnanimous last night on evening news, probably realised he was being a knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZoLp5kOIc

This one?
I heard Gerry Adams on numerous outlets yesterday saying similar to this video. There has been some selective quoting of Adams with agendas, no doubt. Any SF person that I have seen commenting have been gracious and magnanimous about John Hume. John Hume was probably the last SDLP person I voted for. As Adams himself said the SDLP without him was not fit for purpose and Mallon, Rodgers et all were FG lite and not in touch with working class nationalists. Lest we forget though John Hume talking to me or my mate would not have found a solution. People are too quick to decry the contribution of Adams and McGuinness, change can only come from within. But God Rest John Hume in my opinion one of our greatest leaders ever.

blewuporstuffed

Some fantastic photos of him over the last few days

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tbrick18

John Hume was an absolute statesman and a man of the people.
He had the courage to follow his principles and he dragged those around him with him. We could do with more of this type type of politician today.
I'm not an SDLP supporter, but Hume is one of those people who will go down in history as being instrumental in the peace process here and for that he should be respected and revered.

Its sad that his illness meant he couldn't remember all that he achieved, but his legacy lives on and he'll certainly go down in history as someone who made a real difference in this country for all those who live here.

RIP.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000lw2r

Great interview.

The Glen. Great people and area. Like a lot of Derry, country people slowly becoming city people.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Boycey on August 04, 2020, 12:51:23 PM
The thin skin of some of you shinners is unreal......

They are the most thin-skinned people I've ever met. Never saw moaning minnies like them.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 04, 2020, 04:54:11 PM
Quote from: Boycey on August 04, 2020, 12:51:23 PM
The thin skin of some of you shinners is unreal......

They are the most thin-skinned people I've ever met. Never saw moaning minnies like them.

Have to say had a chuckle at this. yeah you should try and get them banned.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Eamonnca1

Rois

Did anyone read the article by John Hume that was published in the Irish Times back in 1964 and reprinted today in their supplement? That he wrote it in 1964 before the Troubles is amazing, he focussed on unity by consent, and how positions of accepting the constitutional position and being a nationalist were not mutually exclusive. In fact, his words of advice plot the progress made by nationalists since then, without one word about violence.

Farrandeelin

An absolutely amazing man. He is/was one of the most influential person in Irish history. Sid already said he espoused non-violent ways of achieving political progress. The stories of people here about his humility makes him  seem more normal than most of these politicians we have nowadays.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lurganblue

David McWilliams just did a quality wee podcast episode on him.  Credit Union gets a mention.  Very interesting stuff.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

A lovely mass covered tastefully by RTE

Rois

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 05, 2020, 01:15:02 PM
A lovely mass covered tastefully by RTE
Fr Farren did him justice with his homily.  A nice thing about the imposed restrictions is that it very much felt like a personal funeral and yes, the key politicians were there, but it wasn't a circus.  It was like it was one of our family.