Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 02, 2007, 02:59:27 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 02:51:38 PM
With the few players struggling with fitness and injury would I be right in saying (who you are playing aside) that being drawn to play in the second week of quarter finals is a huge plus for ye?
absolutely
we would have struggled to field a lot of the players who started against Laois.
Even then after an additional weeks rest, we will still be touch and go on a few key players
Right now we are down about 5 with only one most likely to be fit for next week. Too early to say yet regarding the rest, but its unlikely they will all recover.

You're sounding more like a Kerry man every day. ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 02, 2007, 03:08:04 PM
You're sounding more like a Kerry man every day. ;)
I know - I am working my way down there...
wait till I spring my 'smallpox epidmic hits Derry squad'  - then I'll be indistinguishable from a corkonian !

Real Talk

Quote from: Real Talk on August 01, 2007, 11:08:02 PM

Derry best keeper in the panel is 'Deets'.  He was a brilliant county Minor keeper(remember him scoring a penalty in Clones on a losing team) who could land the ball on a 'sixpence' which would be ideal for quick kick outs .... hardly going to happen is it?

Strange no comment from all the experts on 'Deets' (C Gilligan)

Hound

Sorry for being thick, but what is "Skinner's" actual name?

Derry Devil

southderryman

Quote from: Hound on August 02, 2007, 09:44:57 PM
Sorry for being thick, but what is "Skinner's" actual name?

its eoin bradley, he's a younger brother of paddy

jodyb

Agree with all you say, but he's the type who would absolutely revel in being the centre of attention in a packed croker - doesn't springfield regularly report that he's knocking in 2-5 odd for glenullin every week (suspension permitting), and I heard he was in the form of his life prior to his little altercation in front of Bruno.
I would definitely back him for a goal against Dublin, and whilst you couldn't start him, who'd give the lads on the field a lift if they were trailing by 3/4 points with 15mins left, Skinner or Crook (I'm usually loathe to criticise individuals, but I can't help it - the lad just isn't up to county standard).
[/quote]
I have to concede Bogball, you make a very compelling point. Absolutely agree! (Memories of the marshes '05)

Having said that, if he does make way for Skinner. I still think Young Wilkinson has generally made more of an impact coming on than Donaghy and as such, would at least retain favour over him as the next replacement option.

Only other concern I have with Skinner is that Paddy has started to use those around him recently and it's working. I'd hate to see it revert back to the 'Paddy an Eoin' party

Quote from: Real Talk on August 01, 2007, 11:08:02 PM

Derry best keeper in the panel is 'Deets'.  He was a brilliant county Minor keeper(remember him scoring a penalty in Clones on a losing team) who could land the ball on a 'sixpence' which would be ideal for quick kick outs .... hardly going to happen is it?

Strange no comment from all the experts on 'Deets' (C Gilligan)

What's your point Real Talk? Is the implication that no-one recalls that he was actually a keeper? I think you'll find that its not really that obscure a fact. He's talked about it himself, in more than one interview. I actually remember him playing a League Game for the senior team in goal. In screen (i think), late 90s, dont remember exactly. Maybe someone can verify the actual date.

Real Talk

Quote from: jodyb on August 02, 2007, 10:44:23 PM

What's your point Real Talk? Is the implication that no-one recalls that he was actually a keeper? I think you'll find that its not really that obscure a fact. He's talked about it himself, in more than one interview. I actually remember him playing a League Game for the senior team in goal. In screen (i think), late 90s, dont remember exactly. Maybe someone can verify the actual date.

My point is very simple:  does anyone think he could do a better job than Gillis, given the importance of short, quick, accurate kick-outs in the modern game?

orangeman

I hear the ticket situation in Derry and I suppose Dublin as well is dire - does anyone know about tickets ?

DUBSFORSAM1

Dublin hard to get tickets - Derry easy to get tickets so I have heard...

Loup Bandit

Not too bad to get tickets here in Derry, if you're attached to a club anyway.
Anyone hear any stories about Dub's paying big money for tickets?

Really looking forward to the game myself.

With dub's habits of rotating the positions of their forwards, i wonder will the derry backs be assigned to track a certain opponent or just play the positions. i think id like to see lockhart on Alan Brogan if he starts in the full forward line, but wouldnt want him to be dragged out to centre-half back. This would also apply to McCloy if he is fit to play IMO.
Would be confident in Kevin McGuckins ability to play anywhere in the back line.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Real Talk on August 03, 2007, 12:53:28 PM
Quote from: jodyb on August 02, 2007, 10:44:23 PM

My point is very simple:  does anyone think he could do a better job than Gillis, given the importance of short, quick, accurate kick-outs in the modern game?
No, why do you think short accurate kickouts are so important in the modern game?

robertemmet

The selection of Derry's All Time best 15 is going to take place via the Derry website

www.derrygaa.ie

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Loup Bandit on August 03, 2007, 01:57:04 PM
Not too bad to get tickets here in Derry, if you're attached to a club anyway.
Anyone hear any stories about Dub's paying big money for tickets?

Really looking forward to the game myself.

With dub's habits of rotating the positions of their forwards, i wonder will the derry backs be assigned to track a certain opponent or just play the positions. i think id like to see lockhart on Alan Brogan if he starts in the full forward line, but wouldnt want him to be dragged out to centre-half back. This would also apply to McCloy if he is fit to play IMO.
Would be confident in Kevin McGuckins ability to play anywhere in the back line.

Well there is big money being offered on ebay etc and other websites.....

Forwards aren't being moved that much in last couple of games...sherlock/vaughan have rotated but thats really about it....

So Loup - you got your tickets yet??? Where abouts are you?

burn the hurl

I've been reading the posts on this site for a while now and i thought it was time to throw my hat in the ring and sign up and figure out if i know anything about Gaelic games at all!

On a new topic - I reckon the weakest line in the Derry team is the goalkeeper.  After being dropped for the Armagh match he (Gilis) made a stumbling return against Mayo when he handed them a goal on a plate - then again against Loise when neither goals were unstoppable IMO! In fairness the replacement goalkeeper far from staked a claim when given his chance against Armagh. Also Gilis has been known to be inconsistent with his kickouts.

Are there better keepers in Derry? Scullion (Bellaghy)? McCloskey (Glenullin who is number 2 to McIvor but has long been considered to be the next Derry goalie)? McGuckin (Loup - Currently travelling i believe)?

Any thoughts? Also any question marks on the Dublin team or have they got it in the bag?