Quote from: JoG2 on January 26, 2017, 10:00:42 AM
With Mane

September: WWWW
October:     WDWWW
November:  WDWW
December: WDWWW
January:     D

Without:
January:  DLDWLL     (the one win coming against Plymouth in the FA Cup)

Did they say last night he's going to miss the Chelsea game?

Lads its pretty obvious St Galls and Stallion are one and the same. I don't know why ye bother replying to the posts.

I am not, nor have I ever been, associated in any way with the Stallion.  He could never replicate the quality of my posts.

I would also like to point out that no-one in my immediate family benefits from the RHI scheme.  My cousin's sister in law Karla Lockhard is a complete boiler tho as is her sister in law Darlene Forster. Two complete ditch pigs the two of them

you do think of "Stevie G" every night before sleepy time though.

The Stallion

I also would like to express my displeasure at being confused with someone who presumably delights in the dull as dishwater brand of football St Galls have given us over recent years.

Apologies accepted in advance from those who got this one completely wrong.

J70

Quote from: The Stallion on January 26, 2017, 01:41:53 PM
I don't require an attention fix, but to put aside your rudeness for a moment:

"You came on here last year, calling Klopp a fraud and a poor manager. This was despite his track record and the general esteem with which he is held in the football world based on that track record"

I don't care what "the football world" thinks of Klopp. The football world is full of of ex-footballer idiots who haven't a clue about football. I prefer to make my own judgment, and for me, Klopp is incompetent.
And it's full of ex-footballers and professional football writers and current and former managers who DO have a clue what they're talking about.
But, let's see below if you, finally, offer something to back up your charge of incompetence...
"while giving absolutely no acknowledgement of the marked improvement in the team overall"

Results may have improved, but performances certainly haven't in my opinion. Almost every game Liverpool are carved apart even by poor sides. That they win some games does not alter the fact they are a shambles quite often.
Well at least you acknowledge that results have improved!
And why do you think that is? And if they are a shambles at times at the back, then surely you have the balls to admit that the fact that results HAVE improved, to the extent that Liverpool at the turn of the year had accumulated enough points to leave them top most seasons, is down to the marked transformation they've undergone in attack?
. "It's a work in progress, and honestly, Klopp and Liverpool are, overall, maybe even a little ahead of where they expected to be."

Maybe he's exceeding your bizarrely low expectations from a manager, but I would have expected at a minimum that someone given 60 million to improve Liverpool in the Summer would have signed a competent left back, keeper and Henderson replacement. Klopp didn't.
And just WHERE is a manager going to get all those players for that price in this day and age? He spent 30-odd on Mane, who has been a marked success to the extent that the team has looked decidedly inferior without him. Another 25 on Wijnaldum, who has also been a success in midfield. They looked for a left-back, but couldn't get the deal they wanted, and so slotted Milner into the role, where he has done very well. They took a chance on a keeper for 5 million, a lad who excelled last season in Germany. He's only 23, and like many keepers coming in from abroad, has taken time to get used to the physical and aerial side of the English game. As for Henderson, he has been excellent overall this season, and all your baseless dismissal of him doesn't change that. Of the four major additions, only Karius has been, so far, a relative failure, and he has plenty of time to change that. Matip, Mane and Wijnaldum have all been very positive additions to the team and significant factors in Liverpool's improvement this year.
My expectations were/are for a top four challenge. There were too many issues still to be addressed this season for a proper title challenge. No one builds a championship winning team over one summer, at least outside of the world of Abramovich or the Sheiks, especially starting from where Klopp did when he took over.

You mention Caulker more than I do these days. It's just one of many baffling decisions from Klopp. I could, and do, list several others.
You're the one who was clinging to what was, in the grand scheme of things, a meaningless, minor, tactical adjustment from Klopp as a massive indictment of his judgement. My mentioning him was to serve as a reminder of why your contributions on this topic are broadly dismissed as so asinine that they had to be trolling. You made your own bed.

"Someone who is a contrarian for the sake of it."

This is also inaccurate. I agree with most of my fellow Liverpool supporters that Coutinho is a very good footballer,  and they have other decent players like Firmino. I have no problem praising quality. Klopp has done nothing to earn such praise, and it seems he is worshipped for little more than finishing first in a two horse race in Germany and some cringesome "zany" interviews.
Well sure by that standard, "two horse race", where do any decent managers stand? Most title wins these days come in "two horse races". Ferguson wasn't beating Arsenal, Chelsea and City all at the same time. Each came and went. Atletico have been challenging a bit in the last few years, but by and large, in Spain, its two teams also. Juve just won five in a row in Italy.
And of course, as usual, you ignore the context. Klopp took over Dortmund when they'd finished 13th (and 9th the previous year). He'd won two league titles within four years of taking over, and finished runners-up the following two seasons to the global superpower that is Bayern, also finishing runners-up in the Champions League to them.  Further, the squad he built rebounded after he left and finished runners-up again last season.
Only someone with an agenda, either irrational dislike or pure contrarianism, would dismiss those achievements in such a manner.

Walter Cronc

Are Liverpool a better side under Klopp than Rogers....you could argue they arent.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 26, 2017, 02:43:25 PM
Are Liverpool a better side under Klopp than Rogers....you could argue they arent.

Ah God. They absolutely are. Are they better than they were when Suarez was there, and Gerrard? That's arguable, but they are certainly better balanced.

Are they better than in the last 18 months of Rodger's reign? Absolutely. Are they playing better now? Probably not, but are we really saying that 1 poor month negates everything else that he has brought? This is nuts.

The Stallion

I don't have time to read your post in full, but one part which did catch my eye was:

"No one builds a championship winning team over one summer, at least outside of the world of Abramovich or the Sheiks, especially starting from where Klopp did when he took over"

It made me chuckle, so thanks for that. I know you don't like to acknowledge that last season happened given Klopp took Liverpool to mid-table obscurity, but while he was doing a crap job a proper manager won the League with a much inferior side at a fraction of the cost.

YNWA

Gabriel_Hurl

You could - you'd be wrong though

J70

Quote from: The Stallion on January 26, 2017, 02:51:03 PM
I don't have time to read your post in full, but one part which did catch my eye was:

"No one builds a championship winning team over one summer, at least outside of the world of Abramovich or the Sheiks, especially starting from where Klopp did when he took over"

It made me chuckle, so thanks for that. I know you don't like to acknowledge that last season happened given Klopp took Liverpool to mid-table obscurity, but while he was doing a crap job a proper manager won the League with a much inferior side at a fraction of the cost.

YNWA

This, again, is an example of why I think you're trolling. Maybe you should have picked a different part of my post, which would take less than a minute to read, to focus on.

Ranieri did an extraordinary job, but that was a perfect storm for Leicester, when an entire team/squad overachieved dramatically. They've sank back to their level this season and the chances of them even challenging for champions league places again are slim as things stand for them.

To expect such an isolated, unexpected, league win to be repeated elsewhere, especially in this age of vastly wealthy competitors, is either ignorant of reality or, again, just making shit up for the sake of attention. It's like saying that someone jumping off a five storey roof and, by some miracle, surviving unharmed, means that others should, realistically, be expected to do the same. Both are statistical improbabilities.

Holding Klopp or any other manager (including Ranieri himself) to that standard is just idiotic. Ranieri himself is a solid, capable, journeyman manager with no other history of top division title success, even with a season of Abramovich wealth thrown in there.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2017, 03:11:29 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on January 26, 2017, 02:51:03 PM

YNWA

This, again, is an example of why I think you're trolling. Maybe you should have picked a different part of my post, which would take less than a minute to read, to focus on.

Ranieri did an extraordinary job, but that was a perfect storm for Leicester, when an entire team/squad overachieved dramatically. They've sank back to their level this season and the chances of them even challenging for champions league places again are slim as things stand for them.

To expect such an isolated, unexpected, league win to be repeated elsewhere, especially in this age of vastly wealthy competitors, is either ignorant of reality or, again, just making shit up for the sake of attention. It's like saying that someone jumping off a five storey roof and, by some miracle, surviving unharmed, means that others should, realistically, be expected to do the same. Both are statistical improbabilities.

Holding Klopp or any other manager (including Ranieri himself) to that standard is just idiotic. Ranieri himself is a solid, capable, journeyman manager with no other history of top division title success, even with a season of Abramovich wealth thrown in there.

For one I'm a big fan of Klopp. Just few strange signings or lack of in many cases. He reminds me a bit of Wenger in many ways, not much of a clue about defending.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2017, 02:45:57 PM

Ah God. They absolutely are. Are they better than they were when Suarez was there, and Gerrard? That's arguable, but they are certainly better balanced.

Are they better than in the last 18 months of Rodger's reign? Absolutely. Are they playing better now? Probably not, but are we really saying that 1 poor month negates everything else that he has brought? This is nuts.

Rodgers single biggest error was that he didn't jettison Gerrard earlier. He was living off his reputation for years and holding back that team. He cost ye that league ye should have won.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2017, 03:47:10 PM

Rodgers single biggest error was that he didn't jettison Gerrard earlier. He was living off his reputation for years and holding back that team. He cost ye that league ye should have won.

Nah, he should have been deployed in front of the back four.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gabriel_Hurl

I'm not having that - apart from "that" incident, he scored 10 league goals during a 16-game unbeaten league run which got them to where they were.

He led the league in assists that year as well.

The Stallion

I agree Gerrard should have been sold to the highest bidder long before he did finally leave. He held the team back and the millions wasted on his salary would have been better put to use on a midfielder who could do a bit more than just take set pieces and hit the occasional rocket from 30 yards.

The Stallion

Quote from: stew on January 26, 2017, 04:04:22 PM

Nah, he should have been deployed in front of the back four.

Gerrard was never good playing deep or just behind the striker. His best spell for the club was when played on the right of midfield

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 26, 2017, 04:08:47 PM

I'm not having that - apart from "that" incident, he scored 10 league goals during a 16-game unbeaten league run which got them to where they were.

He led the league in assists that year as well.

Most were penalties and he missed one or two of those. Amazing how many penalties Liverpool got in that run.