Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SticksandStones

Quote from: Square Ball on June 29, 2024, 05:46:17 PMOur under 15s won the  shield in the Feile in Mayo this afternoon.

Great News, fair play

Truth hurts

what are people's views on the new minor championship format?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 01, 2024, 01:51:28 PMwhat are people's views on the new minor championship format?

Haven't seen it Truth.. What's the format?

rory

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 01, 2024, 02:39:13 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on July 01, 2024, 01:51:28 PMwhat are people's views on the new minor championship format?

32 teams in round 1. Div 1/2 teams in one bowl Div 3/4 teams in the other. Winners go to A championship, losers go to B.

Championships are 4 groups of four. No seeding so technically the top 4 teams in Div 1 could be in same group.
Top 2 in each group go through to quarter finals.

The round 1 game is scheduled for Tue Aug 6th with the 4 league finals happening on the 3rd/4th giving the league finalists as little as 2 days to prepare for a game that decides what championship they are in, right in the middle of holiday season.

There will be some upsets I would say.

Truth hurts

Quote from: rory on July 01, 2024, 10:59:37 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on July 01, 2024, 02:39:13 PM

32 teams in round 1. Div 1/2 teams in one bowl Div 3/4 teams in the other. Winners go to A championship, losers go to B.

Championships are 4 groups of four. No seeding so technically the top 4 teams in Div 1 could be in same group.
Top 2 in each group go through to quarter finals.

The round 1 game is scheduled for Tue Aug 6th with the 4 league finals happening on the 3rd/4th giving the league finalists as little as 2 days to prepare for a game that decides what championship they are in, right in the middle of holiday season.

There will be some upsets I would say.

I was unaware that the group was not seeded. That is more insane than what I initially heard.

maldini

I'd imagine there'll be a lot of division 3 and 4 teams not fielding in the first round when they get drawn against division 1 teams

thewobbler

This all sounds a bit strange; an unusual formula that once again prove that there's no perfect format.

SuperRed

What happened in the Longstone v Liatroim game on Friday night? Have both clubs dropped the points, or will there be a replay?

toby47

Is Eugene Branagan still on the down panel?

Sheedy

Quote from: toby47 on July 07, 2024, 11:03:18 AMIs Eugene Branagan still on the down panel?
No, hasn't played any for Down this year.
nil satis nisi optimum

Square Ball

Quote from: SuperRed on July 07, 2024, 10:39:34 AMWhat happened in the Longstone v Liatroim game on Friday night? Have both clubs dropped the points, or will there be a replay?

Its down as 0-0 to 0-0 on the Down site
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mourne Red

Quote from: SuperRed on July 07, 2024, 10:39:34 AMWhat happened in the Longstone v Liatroim game on Friday night? Have both clubs dropped the points, or will there be a replay?

Leitrims tweet which has been since deleted and just as well said "Game abandoned as referee hasn't ability to control the match"

Not the first social media outburst Liatroim have had against a referee

Sheedy

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 07, 2024, 04:14:28 PM

Leitrims tweet which has been since deleted and just as well said "Game abandoned as referee hasn't ability to control the match"

as far as I heard, there was lots of fights and off the ball stuff going on, ref told both managers if it continued he would stop the match, it did so he abandoned the match. 
nil satis nisi optimum

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Sheedy on July 07, 2024, 05:55:12 PM

as far as I heard, there was lots of fights and off the ball stuff going on, ref told both managers if it continued he would stop the match, it did so he abandoned the match. 

Can see pros and cons to this becoming established practice.

Early abandonment in a tight game referee just right - they didn't sign up to referee a boxing match and its hard enough to get referees.

But what if one team knew they were going to lose with 5 mins to go and started rows?
i usse an speelchekor

Duine Inteacht Eile

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 07, 2024, 10:26:57 PM
Quote from: Sheedy on July 07, 2024, 05:55:12 PM

Can see pros and cons to this becoming established practice.

Early abandonment in a tight game referee just right - they didn't sign up to referee a boxing match and its hard enough to get referees.

But what if one team knew they were going to lose with 5 mins to go and started rows?
If that's obvious it will be detailed in the referee's report. Of course, it might not be obvious but if the winning team are happy to engage then it's tough shit really.
On the tweet, that's language I've heard all my life. Field fights involving over 20 men are the fault of the referee as he couldn't control the game. Absolves everyone from having control of themselves.