Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: OgraAnDun on August 28, 2018, 11:54:15 AM
Quote from: Armamike on August 28, 2018, 11:38:05 AM
It's only the third game of the season but how can Man u's defending go from one of the best last year to what we've seen the past few games? Is it injuries, change of tactics or something else? Matic been a big miss, to provide a bit of cover for the centre backs?

IIRC, De Gea had the second highest number of saves in the league last season (might be slightly off on that, but he definitely ranked highly). As is now well documented at this stage, he's let in 12 goals from the last 16 shots on target this year (including the World Cup).

That kind of stat means nothing though, some shots are not likely to be saved. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

I would imagine, assuming that he steadies the ship and turns the current form around which he is more than capable of he will be in place to the end of the season.

Whats the alternative, you bring in a new manager and give him £150m for two centre backs?

If they have been happy to watch for the past season and a bit then nothing makes me think this will change.

The camera continually flashing to Woodward in the directors box and him sitting shakng his head, would not happen anywhere else. He has become too high profile and needs to get into the background for the sake of the club.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 28, 2018, 12:00:20 PM
It's only the third game of the season but how can Man u's defending go from one of the best last year to what we've seen the past few games? Is it injuries, change of tactics or something else? Matic been a big miss, to provide a bit of cover for the centre backs?

IIRC, De Gea had the second highest number of saves in the league last season (might be slightly off on that, but he definitely ranked highly). As is now well documented at this stage, he's let in 12 goals from the last 16 shots on target this year (including the World Cup).

My point being that Utds great defence was more a case of having a great keeper - if he goes through a poor patch of form, the leaky defence is suddenly exposed.

smort

Quote from: OgraAnDun on August 28, 2018, 12:17:02 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 28, 2018, 12:00:20 PM

My point being that Utds great defence was more a case of having a great keeper - if he goes through a poor patch of form, the leaky defence is suddenly exposed.

There were stats earlier in the year which showed how good de gea was last season

https://twitter.com/optajoe/status/982690650528387072?lang=en

If he regresses to the norm or performs worse than the avg then utd are in trouble

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11212584/david-de-gea-premier-leagues-top-performing-goalkeeper-stats-reveal

oliverkelly

Quote from: NAG1 on August 28, 2018, 12:04:49 PM
I would imagine, assuming that he steadies the ship and turns the current form around which he is more than capable of he will be in place to the end of the season.

Whats the alternative, you bring in a new manager and give him £150m for two centre backs?

If they have been happy to watch for the past season and a bit then nothing makes me think this will change.

The camera continually flashing to Woodward in the directors box and him sitting shakng his head, would not happen anywhere else. He has become too high profile and needs to get into the background for the sake of the club.

Mourinho hasnt helped matters basically calling him out saying he gave him a list and hasnt got what he wanted brinmging him into the limelight. Fu** Me you have already bought 3 defenders and made our defense worse than when you took over. On top of getting absolutely nothing out of Sanchez, Martial and Pogba. Its Jose's fault he is not a good manager anymore

Dire Ear

What's Pogba at, is he just lazy?

johnnycool

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 28, 2018, 02:48:40 PM

He wants shot of Jose and playing accordingly.

oakleaflad

Quote from: johnnycool on August 28, 2018, 02:59:47 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on August 28, 2018, 02:48:40 PM

He wants shot of Jose and playing accordingly.
I thought he played ok and tried pretty hard last night. In fact, I thought there was a great effort from the whole United team. Just that they were all over the place at the back.

Dire Ear

Watched him in the second half; didnt look interested at all

gawa316

What was the deal with playing Herrera in a back 3? Trying to prove a point or actual tactics involved?

5 very winnable games coming up so pressure will most likely have lifted by the next time they play a top 6 side.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/24/jose-mourinho-fighting-stay-top-level-leaves-man-utd-big-club/

Jose Mourinho is not just fighting to prove he is the man who can deliver the Premier League title at Manchester United. He is in the midst of a fight to preserve his position as a top level, Champions League competing manager.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: gawa316 on August 29, 2018, 12:32:50 AM
What was the deal with playing Herrera in a back 3? Trying to prove a point or actual tactics involved?

5 very winnable games coming up so pressure will most likely have lifted by the next time they play a top 6 side.

Brighton was a very "winnable" game too.

TabClear

Quote from: gawa316 on August 29, 2018, 12:32:50 AM

He needed a base to launch his tactical masterstroke of putting Fellani upfront.

I actually didnt think Utd were that bad on Monday night. They outplayed a good Spurs team for half an hour and should have taken the lead. Spurs were then clinical in that 2 minute burst and suddenly they were chasing the game which was obviously going to expose them at the back.  I think Liverpool have Spurs, City and Chelsea in their next 5 games so positions could be very different at the end of September.

The bigger issue seems to be his attitude that he is above criticism. I like the way he wants respect for the fact  he has won 3 Premier Leagues but it is the players fault when things are going badly. He spent £60m plus on a centre back pairing, £90m on a central/attacking midfielder, £80m on two defensive midfielders, one of whom was in the top 2 midfielders in the Premier League the year before, £80m on a striker and got + £60m plus of value for Sanchez. He inherited the best keeper in the world, throw in the talent that Martial/Lingaard and Rashford have and he cannot get them to function as a team. BUt apparently he has not been backed by the Board...

At some point he has to take some responsibility but I just do not think that is in his makeup, he always has to blame someone else.

oliverkelly

He also spent 20 mil on Delot a defender this summer.

TabClear

Quote from: oliverkelly on August 29, 2018, 11:11:04 AM
He also spent 20 mil on Delot a defender this summer.

To be fair I think he is injured.