Mortgages - Help!

Started by Tony Baloney, May 20, 2008, 05:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

I was first time buyer and had 10% deposit.  Defintely think you are best speaking to someone and a few people at that.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Muzz on January 25, 2011, 04:21:27 PM
Street Fighter - I dont know a while pile about Mortgages but was searching for one.  After going through Mortgage Shop they were taking too long and decided to look some up myself.  Went ahead with one and they failed me on the very last step.

I was given a number for a completely independant guy in Belfast - Called him and had a better rate and Mortgage signed within a week.  Sorted Insurance and everything for me.

I know this guy is in it for himself i.e. hes getting commision on what he sells but basically he talked to the guys first gave them all the details made sure that the mortgage would go through and then got me to sign my papers.  I cant fault the service.  Top notch and kept me informed the full way through.

If you are in Belfast and fancy meeting with him give me a PM and I'll forward the contact details.  Worth a chat anyways - would do no harm.

Muzz

Excellant stuff Muzz.

Will do no harm to pm me the details anyway.

Without asking you too much about your private affairs had you a good enough deposit set aside for the property?

Is it really a buyers market for 1st time buyers with a good deposit and a some level of job security? 

Hereiam

Was in with the bank today about our self build mortage and I was just wondering did the people on this board who have mortgages take out payment protection insurance. I'm in two minds about this one.

HiMucker

Does anyone know if any banks still offer a sterling mortgage for a property in the south or is that a no go these days?

muppet

Quote from: Hereiam on March 29, 2012, 10:31:13 PM
Was in with the bank today about our self build mortage and I was just wondering did the people on this board who have mortgages take out payment protection insurance. I'm in two minds about this one.

You can take it out for a percentage of your income (e.g. only insure 50% or whatever) and if you have a wife and kids it can give you piece of mind. However if you already have any similar type of income protection insurance or early pension coverage (ill-health etc) it might be a waste of money as they will not be paid cumulatively. Better get independent advice (i.e. not from the bank offering the mortgage).
MWWSI 2017

DennistheMenace

Anyone got a mortgage recently or looking about one, now is a good time with interest rates at record low? What rate are people currently on?

ziggy90

Quote from: Hereiam on March 29, 2012, 10:31:13 PM

If you take out this insurance make sure you tell them to contact your doctor for your full medical history. Failure to disclose even the smallest ailment can, and usually will, lead to your policy been invalid.
The greatest shower of shysters I've ever encountered.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

TabClear

Hoping for some advice here.  I have a mortgage with Ulster Bank. I'm on the svr  >:( as the house is in negative equity of probably £30K and so can't move away. I ve heard of some banks offering products for negative equity customers but ub in the north don't seem to do it ? Anyone aware of any options I might have to reduce my rate?

imtommygunn

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 05, 2016, 08:46:39 AM
Anyone got a mortgage recently or looking about one, now is a good time with interest rates at record low? What rate are people currently on?

On 2. something(maybe .49) and up for renewal end of next month. Hoping to go below 2 this month. I looked last night and saw a few at that rate. If you look at money supermarket and the like you'll find out handy enough the good rates.

trueblue1234

Just wondering does anyone know what stages roughly you can drawn down your instalments for a self build?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

quit yo jibbajabba

First floor level, roofed, plastered and completed. Tho there can be flexibilty depending on lender

Boycey

Any of you good folk switched your mortgage lender? Specifically in the south... I stuck my details into one of them comparison yokes last week and it looked to me as if I could save a right few quid. I just wondering if there are any pitfalls or hidden costs to doing it and is it a ballache to do. Thanks in advance..

Milltown Row2

Changed to Santander recently, we use a guy who looks after all that stuff, so never really take any notice of best deals but they must have had an change over offer as we got £3000 cheque from changing it, I thought we'd have to put it into the mortgage but the broker guy said nope thats yours!!

£150 quid well spent using someone who knows what they are doing, as they can save you money and let you know of the pitfalls and hidden costs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tubberman

Quote from: Boycey on February 20, 2017, 01:47:53 PM
Any of you good folk switched your mortgage lender? Specifically in the south... I stuck my details into one of them comparison yokes last week and it looked to me as if I could save a right few quid. I just wondering if there are any pitfalls or hidden costs to doing it and is it a ballache to do. Thanks in advance..

Didn't switch mortgage provider, but switched to a 3 year fixed-rate at 3.1% with BofI.
That's down from 3.75% which in turn was down from starting rate of 4.5% !!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Boycey

Ha I see I'm not rushing into anything as I asked this back in Feb...

BOI have offered to fix my mortgage at 3.0% for 1,2,3 or 5 years, down from 4.35% or at 3.3% for 10 years. Is longer or shorter the best option?