Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

And we know the county managers who are complaining now aren't among the 12 original respondents?

Without exception, everyone I know involved with the game in any practical way acknowledge the game needs help as a spectacle. However, any of those whose opinion i'd give any credence were able to discern the effect of the handpass limit on the game and recognised immediately that it was a mistake. The games to date bear that out but anyone who supported it immediately - not least the Rules crew - won't admit they were wrong and seem intent on hanging in and damaging possible future attempts to make a credible impact through rule changes.

trailer

Anyone with any level of understanding of the game know these playing rules are hindering not helping the game.

Zulu

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 16, 2019, 09:31:41 PM
And we know the county managers who are complaining now aren't among the 12 original respondents?

Without exception, everyone I know involved with the game in any practical way acknowledge the game needs help as a spectacle. However, any of those whose opinion i'd give any credence were able to discern the effect of the handpass limit on the game and recognised immediately that it was a mistake. The games to date bear that out but anyone who supported it immediately - not least the Rules crew - won't admit they were wrong and seem intent on hanging in and damaging possible future attempts to make a credible impact through rule changes.

In fairness, we can all have opinions but until we give things a chance none of us can be sure and I certainly wouldn't agree that the experimental rules have been given enough time to see if they will have a positive impact or not. With the exception of the sin bin, I wouldn't have proposed any of the experimental rules but I haven't heard a single suggestion that I think wold definitely impact the game positively from the get go.

I'm be willing to give the rules time to have an impact. The 3 hand pass rule for example, won't have an discernible impact until coaches and teams start to prepare and develop tactically using the rule. It might turn out to have n o positive effect but with nothing else on the table and a game which is in a bad place I think we need to give it a go. My only issue is why the GAA don't trial things at lower levels, even run special competitions under experimental rules before throwing them under the spotlight.

bucko

Quote from: trailer on January 16, 2019, 09:40:15 PM
Anyone with any level of understanding of the game know these playing rules are hindering not helping the game.
Because the starting point for the rule changes was " How do we reduce the amount of handpassing in the game" and too much focus was put on that. In typical GAA fashion a set of rules were created that appear to compound the problem rather than alleviate it. The thought process needed to start with "What rule changes would benefit the team who puts the emphasis on attack". Then we might start moving in a better direction. Not this trial situation which over complicates the game and heaps more on already overloaded referees.

manfromdelmonte

As a player, coach and referee I just don't see how the handpsss rule will work

The rules are fine.
If players were more highly skilled and their managers allowed them to take more risks in kicking the ball forward, then it would solve a lot

I'd actually make the goalie take goal kicks from either side of the goal from the small rectangle.
It would stretch out the pitch, the defending team has to cover more ground and would leave more room

cornetto

Shane Walsh of Galway gave his views on the new rules talking to rte
"The hand pass rule seems just a bit daft with three. You've gone from a record number of hand passes in a game to three hand passes consecutively. I think that's a bit of an extreme jump.

"If the ball can be moved forward quickly, move it forward quickly It's not a case of we have to count this hand-pass and use the three and then kick. Just play the game as you see it.

"If the attacking mark goes through, you will look to play to players' strengths.

"You're probably going to see a few big lads you've never seen before play football inside in the full-forward line. I think it brings a bit of excitement – you're showing the art of catching and kicking, which is a huge part of what Gaelic football  is about.

"So I think that would be huge if they implement that one. But does it slow up the game? Will teams use the time advantage to kill off games? It's 15 seconds, that's probably something that trial and error will work out. I don't know. For us, having the likes of Damo [Comer] inside, it would be something you'd like to use." :)
I notice he didn't mention the sin bin this has to be a must one of the more positive proposals"

I too would be a supporter of the forward mark,Michael Murphy,Aidan o shea in around the forward line,soaring for high ball.it did not work too well for Jason Doherty's in the fbd last Sunday, he caught a high ball was in on goal but was called back for a mark.it can be tweaked though.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: bucko on January 16, 2019, 11:47:11 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 16, 2019, 09:40:15 PM
Because the starting point for the rule changes was " How do we reduce the amount of handpassing in the game" and too much focus was put on that. In typical GAA fashion a set of rules were created that appear to compound the problem rather than alleviate it. The thought process needed to start with "What rule changes would benefit the team who puts the emphasis on attack". Then we might start moving in a better direction. Not this trial situation which over complicates the game and heaps more on already overloaded referees.

I think this is a key point when looking at any rule change.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

joemamas

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 17, 2019, 12:04:36 AM
As a player, coach and referee I just don't see how the handpsss rule will work

The rules are fine.
If players were more highly skilled and their managers allowed them to take more risks in kicking the ball forward, then it would solve a lot

I'd actually make the goalie take goal kicks from either side of the goal from the small rectangle.
It would stretch out the pitch, the defending team has to cover more ground and would leave more room

This seems to be the biggest issue, a lot of "managers/chancers", the latter more at club level, are coaching teams to handpass, handpass handpass, and do not kick the ball forward 25 or 30 yards.
it is really entertaining stuff to watch  ::)

By all accounts, it goes so far that if a young fella (God forbids kicks the ball into a 50/50 situation, his coach will rip him a new one, and more that likely yell "keep possession, don't kick it in".

I don't have all the answers, but like a lot of others agree on the problem.

rosnarun

Quote from: cornetto on January 17, 2019, 09:26:28 AM
"The hand pass rule seems just a bit daft with three. You’ve gone from a record number of hand passes in a game to three hand passes consecutively. I think that’s a bit of an extreme jump.

"If the ball can be moved forward quickly, move it forward quickly It's not a case of we have to count this hand-pass and use the three and then kick. Just play the game as you see it.

"If the attacking mark goes through, you will look to play to players’ strengths.

"You’re probably going to see a few big lads you’ve never seen before play football inside in the full-forward line. I think it brings a bit of excitement – you’re showing the art of catching and kicking, which is a huge part of what Gaelic football  is about.

"So I think that would be huge if they implement that one. But does it slow up the game? Will teams use the time advantage to kill off games? It’s 15 seconds, that’s probably something that trial and error will work out. I don’t know. For us, having the likes of Damo [Comer] inside, it would be something you’d like to use." :)
I notice he didn't mention the sin bin this has to be a must one of the more positive proposals"

I too would be a supporter of the forward mark,Michael Murphy,Aidan o shea in around the forward line,soaring for high ball.it did not work too well for Jason Doherty's in the fbd last Sunday, he caught a high ball was in on goal but was called back for a mark.it can be tweaked though.
"The hand pass rule seems just a bit daft with three. You’ve gone from a record number of hand passes in a game to three hand passes consecutively. I think that’s a bit of an extreme jump.

"If the attacking mark goes through, you will look to play to players’ strengths.

"You’re probably going to see a few big lads you’ve never seen before play football inside in the full-forward line. I think it brings a bit of excitement – you’re showing the art of catching and kicking, which is a huge part of what Gaelic football  is about.

"So I think that would be huge if they implement that one. But does it slow up the game? Will teams use the time advantage to kill off games? It’s 15 seconds, that’s probably something that trial and error will work out. I don’t know. For us, having the likes of Damo [Comer] inside, it would be something you’d like to use." :)

so is the mark compulsory if the ball I scaught or is there an option to play on?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Itchy

Quote from: rosnarun on January 17, 2019, 02:00:27 PM
"The hand pass rule seems just a bit daft with three. You've gone from a record number of hand passes in a game to three hand passes consecutively. I think that's a bit of an extreme jump.

"If the attacking mark goes through, you will look to play to players' strengths.

"You're probably going to see a few big lads you've never seen before play football inside in the full-forward line. I think it brings a bit of excitement – you're showing the art of catching and kicking, which is a huge part of what Gaelic football  is about.

"So I think that would be huge if they implement that one. But does it slow up the game? Will teams use the time advantage to kill off games? It's 15 seconds, that's probably something that trial and error will work out. I don't know. For us, having the likes of Damo [Comer] inside, it would be something you'd like to use." :)

so is the mark compulsory if the ball I scaught or is there an option to play on?

You can play on

Rossfan

I'd have thought it's the same as the midfield one - Ref blows for the mark but player can stop or go??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on January 17, 2019, 02:03:45 PM
I'd have thought it's the same as the midfield one - Ref blows for the mark but player can stop or go??

does the catcher have the 4 steps without being tackled advantage if they decide to lay on immediately? Would be quite the advantage in the scoring zone

giveballaghback

I have attended 2 games so far under these rules and I agree with all the rules except the sideline kicked forward, the handpass rule is very positive imo and you could clearly see that players were reluctant to give the 3rd handpass so they looked to kick at all times, there were no rugby league situations that have spoiled our game. The forward mark is great and when teams cop on to using it will change the game big time. We need to have patience and allow the refs some time to get used to the changes and maybe the linesmen could do the counting on the 3 handpass rule as they are all miked now anyway for inter county games. Those shouting loudest against this are managers who will have to reshuffle the deck if these rules come in
but imo these rules are a step towards making our games watchable again   

ONeill

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 17, 2019, 07:57:12 PM
the handpass rule is very positive imo and you could clearly see that players were reluctant to give the 3rd handpass so they looked to kick at all times,

What???

There was a moment last week when Tyrone broke brilliantly from their own 45. 2 handpasses and Harte had three runners steaming ahead of him. So he kicked a hand pass. 3 yards. Why?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM