The beating of that girl in Bangor

Started by Eamonnca1, April 25, 2018, 07:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Boycey on April 26, 2018, 09:05:47 AM
I'm not making any comment on the wee girl rather reporting that the even more public jury of Facebook has decided has decided that she's a Cnut too and deserved what she got.

A bit like I said on the other thread I despair of people..

I'm fairly sure that retaliation will be on the menu too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 26, 2018, 06:02:24 PM
Quote from: Taylor on April 26, 2018, 09:16:49 AM
Quote from: Minder on April 26, 2018, 09:06:36 AM
Maybe it's just me being ultra cynical and a misery guts but why is it now the done thing when someone gets a booting or some crisis happens the first thing that happens is setting up a Go Fund Me page??

I remember after the Manchester attack last year they were falling over themselves to set them up for some of the "homeless heroes" (one ended up getting jailed for theft), now what sense is there in just handing someone a wad of money, especially someone with obvious problems. Money isn't always the answer.

Gives some people a real kick to put up on social media that they have donated money. How many would donate if no one else knew they were donating?
Self gratifying bullshit

When you see something like that played back in front of you it presses the same emotional buttons as if you were seeing it first hand. Anyone that was beaten up in school reacts very strongly to seeing this sort of thing. Same as Michael Buerke's BBC news report of the Ethiopian famine, we all remember the wave of "we've got to do something-ism."

When we're physically remote from something we still feel the urge to help, but since we're not there on the ground, contributing money is the best we can do. I don't think it's the worst aspect of human nature and I couldn't describe it as "self gratifying bullshit." I just think we have to be a bit more careful about how we try to help, and the answer isn't always obvious. To this day it's controversial as to whether or not Live Aid's money made mattters better or worse for Ethiopia.

When someone sets up a go-fund-me page it usually makes a lot of money, although I'd be interested in knowing what the checks and balances are for making sure the money goes to the right people or does any good. I'm always sceptical about go fund me pages because I don't know if it's some scammer trying to make a quick buck.

Remember the Ulster Says No campaign and the big rally at city hall? Apparently some enterprising fenians put some "Ulster Says No" posters on buckets, walked around collecting money from the crowd, and pocketed the lot of it!

Aye that's ok though if you're stupid enough to donate to shit like that then they deserve to lose their money!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on April 26, 2018, 11:43:17 PM
Maybe it's just me being ultra cynical and a misery guts but why is it now the done thing when someone gets a booting or some crisis happens the first thing that happens is setting up a Go Fund Me page??

I remember after the Manchester attack last year they were falling over themselves to set them up for some of the "homeless heroes" (one ended up getting jailed for theft), now what sense is there in just handing someone a wad of money, especially someone with obvious problems. Money isn't always the answer.

Gives some people a real kick to put up on social media that they have donated money. How many would donate if no one else knew they were donating?
Self gratifying bullshit

When you see something like that played back in front of you it presses the same emotional buttons as if you were seeing it first hand. Anyone that was beaten up in school reacts very strongly to seeing this sort of thing. Same as Michael Buerke's BBC news report of the Ethiopian famine, we all remember the wave of "we've got to do something-ism."

When we're physically remote from something we still feel the urge to help, but since we're not there on the ground, contributing money is the best we can do. I don't think it's the worst aspect of human nature and I couldn't describe it as "self gratifying bullshit." I just think we have to be a bit more careful about how we try to help, and the answer isn't always obvious. To this day it's controversial as to whether or not Live Aid's money made mattters better or worse for Ethiopia.

When someone sets up a go-fund-me page it usually makes a lot of money, although I'd be interested in knowing what the checks and balances are for making sure the money goes to the right people or does any good. I'm always sceptical about go fund me pages because I don't know if it's some scammer trying to make a quick buck.

Remember the Ulster Says No campaign and the big rally at city hall? Apparently some enterprising fenians put some "Ulster Says No" posters on buckets, walked around collecting money from the crowd, and pocketed the lot of it!

Aye that's ok though if you're stupid enough to donate to shit like that then they deserve to lose their money!!!

I won a free burger and drink on the Monopoly game at McDonalds the other week, gave it to a beggar on the street, raging i didnt video it and highlight it on my FB page or instagram it or tweeted it, could have went viral (i think they are the terms) no instead I've shared it on the board, possibly the smallest media outlet out there!

Though to be fair I did get a run of good luck, so, just maybe giving something can bring a bitta luck your way!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2018, 09:09:18 AM

Self gratifying bullshit

I won a free burger and drink on the Monopoly game at McDonalds the other week, gave it to a beggar on the street, raging i didnt video it and highlight it on my FB page or instagram it or tweeted it, could have went viral (i think they are the terms) no instead I've shared it on the board, possibly the smallest media outlet out there!

Though to be fair I did get a run of good luck, so, just maybe giving something can bring a bitta luck your way!

I saw some p***k at that in Belfast City Centre a few months ago, got his mate to video him giving a homeless man a sausage roll.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2018, 09:11:45 AM

Self gratifying bullshit

I saw some p***k at that in Belfast City Centre a few months ago, got his mate to video him giving a homeless man a sausage roll.

There are some serious wankers about!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

MoChara

Self gratifying bullshit

So you thought you'd go one better and save the story so you could tell everyone about how you didn't tell everyone about your good deed?  :P :P

But seriously the term used for this is Virtue Signaling its about letting everyone know how great a person you are, its generally people that don't really care about a cause or issue any deeper than its ability to inflate their own ego and others perception of them. Social Media and smart phones are the blame I think, its so obvious when you see it, it'd makes me cringe like f**k

Taylor

Quote from: MoChara on April 27, 2018, 09:19:30 AM

Self gratifying bullshit

So you thought you'd go one better and save the story so you could tell everyone about how you didn't tell everyone about your good deed?  :P :P

But seriously the term used for this is Virtue Signaling its about letting everyone know how great a person you are, its generally people that don't really care about a cause or issue any deeper than its ability to inflate their own ego and others perception of them. Social Media and smart phones are the blame I think, its so obvious when you see it, it'd makes me cringe like f**k

I still call it self gratifying bullshit

MoChara

Quote from: Taylor on April 27, 2018, 09:21:00 AM

Self gratifying bullshit

I still call it self gratifying bullshit
It most certainly is

Milltown Row2

Self gratifying bullshit

Aye everyone! About 30 people! :o

Would have been more people seeing me give him something where he sat! ;D I dont know anyone who uses this site, how popular would this discussion board be? I'd imagie not that much

MoChara

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2018, 10:28:51 AM

Self gratifying bullshit

Aye everyone! About 30 people! :o

Would have been more people seeing me give him something where he sat! ;D I dont know anyone who uses this site, how popular would this discussion board be? I'd imagie not that much

I'm only winding, you brought it up in a relevant discussion, if you'd started a thread about it it would have looked different.

Milltown Row2

I know, I was writing it and said to myself, Hmm you are that dickhead, ya know what i mean.... though in fairness whether i was due a bit of luck or not or if you believe in that crap I did notice a very good up turn in business !! So I've been to McDees every day and have yet to win a burger  :P

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2018, 12:00:43 PM
I know, I was writing it and said to myself, Hmm you are that d**khead, ya know what i mean.... though in fairness whether i was due a bit of luck or not or if you believe in that crap I did notice a very good up turn in business !! So I've been to McDees every day and have yet to win a burger  :P

Next time you're down at our place refereeing and everyone is giving out about you, I'll retell your good deed to give you a few brownie points........

Till the next decision goes against us  ;)

Tony Baloney

I know, I was writing it and said to myself, Hmm you are that d**khead, ya know what i mean.... though in fairness whether i was due a bit of luck or not or if you believe in that crap I did notice a very good up turn in business !! So I've been to McDees every day and have yet to win a burger  :P
Was it a Big Mac or just an ordinary burger?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 27, 2018, 01:17:16 PM

Ordinary chicken! Had have been a chicken legend I'd have kept it

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2018, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 27, 2018, 01:17:16 PM

Ordinary chicken! Had have been a chicken legend I'd have kept it
This is why I have asked the question as I knew if it was something decent you'd have eaten it. Cancel his MBE for services to charity.