F A I Salaries

Started by Rossfan, August 09, 2010, 11:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

On RTE Radio Sports this morning they had a piece on the FAI's Finances.
They mentioned the C E O took a pay cut of €17,000 p.a giving him a new REDUCED !!!! figure of €435,000 ( FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND EURO !!!!) which is more than the GAA Ard Stiúthóir and IRFU Secretary put together.

All I can say is
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

I heard that today and nearly crashed the car, although I wouldn't have big qualms about it being bigger than the GAA figure. What brought it home to me though was it's bigger than the Taoiseach's, and I'd say every other important public figure in this, or many other, countries. I'd pay the HSE CEO that amount and tell him to sort out the HSE.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Rossfan on August 09, 2010, 11:11:50 AM
On RTE Radio Sports this morning they had a piece on the FAI's Finances.
They mentioned the C E O took a pay cut of €17,000 p.a giving him a new REDUCED !!!! figure of €435,000 ( FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND EURO !!!!) which is more than the GAA Ard Stiúthóir and IRFU Secretary put together.

All I can say is
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Is the salary of the Ard Stiúthóir publically available? Was there not a bit of a fuss at Congress when Mark Conway tried to have the wage bill published?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

haranguerer

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 11:16:05 AM
I heard that today and nearly crashed the car, although I wouldn't have big qualms about it being bigger than the GAA figure. What brought it home to me though was it's bigger than the Taoiseach's, and I'd say every other important public figure in this, or many other, countries. I'd pay the HSE CEO that amount and tell him to sort out the HSE.

Whenever anyone mentions salaries, its always compared to the taoiseachs, or the PM in Britain, which is always small by comparison. Its never an appropriate comparison however, rather just a shock tactic, because of the money public figures earn after they've retired from office. for eg...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5489614.ece

AZOffaly

Quote from: haranguerer on August 09, 2010, 01:01:45 PM

Whenever anyone mentions salaries, its always compared to the taoiseachs, or the PM in Britain, which is always small by comparison. Its never an appropriate comparison however, rather just a shock tactic, because of the money public figures earn after they've retired from office. for eg...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5489614.ece

I know what you are saying, but in fairness for a p.a. comparison alone it's bananas. How can a sporting organisation in Ireland pay a CEO nearly a half a million a year? It's crazy.

Main Street

Reluctantly I have been impressed by the much of Delaney's stewardship of the FAI in the last couple of years.
He is getting well paid, but turnover is >60m. He has a good grasp of the general direction of  FAI coaching/development and the thorny LOI. In general, he is a good rep for the FAI and alone earns his FAI crust with the sponsorship deals he negotiates.

More of an issue though are the heavy loans the FAI had to take up to finance New Lansdowne.

AZOffaly

Fair enough. If he's returning value for money, then it's value for money. He'd want to be going at some tack to be giving value for money on a 440k salary, but you would know better, I'd say, than me.

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on August 09, 2010, 01:34:37 PM
Reluctantly I have been impressed by the much of Delaney's stewardship of the FAI in the last couple of years.
He is getting well paid, but turnover is >60m. He has a good grasp of the general direction of  FAI coaching/development and the thorny LOI. In general, he is a good rep for the FAI and alone earns his FAI crust with the sponsorship deals he negotiates.

More of an issue though are the heavy loans the FAI had to take up to finance New Lansdowne.
He made a huge mistake regarding the sale of the premium seats in Lansdowne. One company offered to buy the whole lot, but he turned it down (not just him, but presumably the final decision was his). Now they can hardly sell any.

Minder

I saw it bandied about somewhere that Cooneys salary is €300k. Dunno how accurate that was.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

Delaney is a vastly superior administrartor to what the FAI had previously but he is not a superman and along with all the holes in the FAI, he has to deal with a seriously disfunctioning LOI.

AFAIR, he had made a deal with a company to sell the premium seats, but he picked the wrong company as they hummed and hawwed, delaying the sale and when the Banks crashed they fled.
There would appear to be a better class of financial management in the IRFU :)

DoireGael

Quote from: Minder on August 09, 2010, 02:51:45 PM
I saw it bandied about somewhere that Cooneys salary is €300k. Dunno how accurate that was.

If thats true, thats a disgrace.

Doogie Browser

The FAI changed sponsors this month too, less than 6 months after launching a new range.

heffo

I heard that today and nearly crashed the car

In an inverse case to the Ashley Cole incident!

heffo

Quote from: Minder on August 09, 2010, 02:51:45 PM

It's €170k ballpark - that's what he's on in FAS so the GAA has to match it.

It was a similar situation with Nicky Brennan who is a senior Manager in Glanbia

Dougal Maguire

A guy I know who's linked to rugby was telling me that the rugger buggers were glad to be out of Croker as they reckoned the Croke Park management was out to shaft them at every opportunity. He also said that it seemed that the FAI were absolute pushovers in this regard displaying an  inability to negotiate effectively with the result that Croke Park had a field day fleecing them at every chance
Careful now