The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Eamonnca1

"Right now, in a number of states, the laws allow a baby to be born from his or her mother's womb in the ninth month. It is wrong. It has to change."

seafoid

There might be a shutdown this weekend. The GOP is toxic

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2018, 09:08:44 PM
what does that mean to the ordinary man on the street ? I don't need much from the government. Dems choosing illegal residents over citizens

J70

Quote from: Gmac on January 19, 2018, 10:03:49 PM
what does that mean to the ordinary man on the street ? I don't need much from the government. Dems choosing illegal residents over citizens

Tax season starts in a week or two. People need passports. People like to visit national parks. People need social security. The CDC is busy collecting data on a severe flu season. And so on and on. Just because you personally need nothing at the moment doesn't mean it's an irrelevance.

The Dems are right to draw a line in the sand (along with some Republicans) on this issue, which has broad public support (do you really think kids who have lived almost their entire lives on the States should be left for months wondering what the f**k is going to become of them, unable to plan their future?). They had a bipartisan deal last week which Trump agreed to sign until Miller and the rest got to him. He has been changing his mind on what he wants by the hour. McConnell promised a vote on DACA last time around, but due to Trump being all over the place, he is afraid to bring it to the floor. The CHIP thing is a pure stunt. It would easily pass with overwhelming bipartisan support as a stand alone bill, but McConnell wants to use it as leverage.

Gabriel_Hurl

Well Trump did say he would run the government like his businesses. It only took a year to shut down the government.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on January 20, 2018, 03:53:03 AM
Quote from: Gmac on January 19, 2018, 10:03:49 PM

Tax season starts in a week or two. People need passports. People like to visit national parks. People need social security. The CDC is busy collecting data on a severe flu season. And so on and on. Just because you personally need nothing at the moment doesn't mean it's an irrelevance.

The Dems are right to draw a line in the sand (along with some Republicans) on this issue, which has broad public support (do you really think kids who have lived almost their entire lives on the States should be left for months wondering what the f**k is going to become of them, unable to plan their future?). They had a bipartisan deal last week which Trump agreed to sign until Miller and the rest got to him. He has been changing his mind on what he wants by the hour. McConnell promised a vote on DACA last time around, but due to Trump being all over the place, he is afraid to bring it to the floor. The CHIP thing is a pure stunt. It would easily pass with overwhelming bipartisan support as a stand alone bill, but McConnell wants to use it as leverage.

It looks like the big issue on the GOP side regarding DACA is white nationalism.

@FoxNews

.@MarkSteynOnline on DACA: "In Arizona, a majority of the grade school children now are Hispanic. That means Arizona's future is as a Hispanic society. That means in effect, the border has moved north." #Tucker

This is polarisation.

heganboy

Also kind of funny as Arizona was actually part of Mexico, the old border moved north and only became a state in 1912...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Quote from: heganboy on January 20, 2018, 12:51:15 PM
Also kind of funny as Arizona was actually part of Mexico, the old border moved north and only became a state in 1912...
I was thinking the same thing

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on January 20, 2018, 01:34:29 PM
no wonder flake and McCain are so sore on trump ,just worrying about re-election

Eamonnca1

The GOP will probably now try to blame the Democrats for the shutdown. Even though it's a Republican House, Republican Senate and a Republican White House. This is a Republican shutdown.

Denn Forever

I'd love to say that the Dems should be be magnanimous and say they'll vote so the budget passes but I reckon the Reps would slaugher them calling them weak and not fit to govern.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

This is much more important than Whitey''s Clinton schtick :

Norman Ornstein

@NormOrnstein

·

1h

Reinforces what has become clear for a long time: John Kelly is a truly pernicious force

Norman Ornstein Retweeted

Joe Scarborough

@JoeNBC

·

3h

Remember Wolfe saying that Trump is clueless on policy and his staff leads him around by the nose? Well, two times this week his staff killed deals that Trump had supported to keep the government open.

Both Republicans.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on January 20, 2018, 03:20:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 20, 2018, 01:34:29 PM
no wonder flake and McCain are so sore on trump ,just worrying about re-election

Huh? Flake is showing some balls because he is not running for re-election. McCain has an extremely serious (almost always terminal) cancer fight on his hands and isn't up for relection until 2022, if he somehow lives that long. Not worrying about reelection allows politicians to act with a bit of integrity and call Trump and the GOP out on their bullshit and extremism.