The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

On the other hand I'd have imagined one of the biggest selling bands in Ireland making fifty years on the road, would have warranted an interview.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

balladmaker

QuoteOn the other hand I'd have imagined one of the biggest selling bands in Ireland making fifty years on the road, would have warranted an interview.

The backlash ongoing at present against RTE could prove more beneficial to The Wolfe Tones than getting an interview.  I've the inside line on this one, and was actually in the RTE studio last night.  RTE didn't want The Wolfe Tones about the place, but they were pressured into giving them an appearance for their 50th Anniversary.  The Wolfe Tones had lined up numerous guests to accompany them on the show to make a night of it, some of them pretty big names from the world of music, film and politics, but RTE didn't want to know.  It went from a full show to 2 songs and a 20 min interview, to 1 song and an interview, and at 11pm last night to just 1 song.  Whether you are into The Wolfe Tones or not is irrelevant, they are one of Ireland's most iconic acts, 50 year careers are extremely rare, they deserved more than what was afforded them last night.  But that's RTE for you, they'd rather conduct pedestrian interviews with a former chess champion, a 60 year old who pulls 20 year old men, and Barry McGuigan talking about meeting the Queen!

Syferus

Quote from: balladmaker on March 29, 2014, 11:37:41 AM
QuoteOn the other hand I'd have imagined one of the biggest selling bands in Ireland making fifty years on the road, would have warranted an interview.

The backlash ongoing at present against RTE could prove more beneficial to The Wolfe Tones than getting an interview.  I've the inside line on this one, and was actually in the RTE studio last night.  RTE didn't want The Wolfe Tones about the place, but they were pressured into giving them an appearance for their 50th Anniversary.  The Wolfe Tones had lined up numerous guests to accompany them on the show to make a night of it, some of them pretty big names from the world of music, film and politics, but RTE didn't want to know.  It went from a full show to 2 songs and a 20 min interview, to 1 song and an interview, and at 11pm last night to just 1 song.  Whether you are into The Wolfe Tones or not is irrelevant, they are one of Ireland's most iconic acts, 50 year careers are extremely rare, they deserved more than what was afforded them last night.  But that's RTE for you, they'd rather conduct pedestrian interviews with a former chess champion, a 60 year old who pulls 20 year old men, and Barry McGuigan talking about meeting the Queen!

I much prefer Framps and Barry to the Rah 'Tasches, honestly.

Garry Kasparov was the highlight of the night by a mile and to push the above off for lads who sing vaguely sectarian songs would have been stupid in the extreme for any television show.

There will be very little backlash.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2014, 01:37:07 PM

I much prefer Framps and Barry to the Rah 'Tasches, honestly.

Garry Kasparov was the highlight of the night by a mile and to push the above off for lads who sing vaguely sectarian songs would have been stupid in the extreme for any television show.

There will be very little backlash.

Well on the Late Late Show, the song you heard was not 'A Nation Once Again', (or 'A NATION ONCE MOREEEEEEE' as you call it), but 'On The One Road' (a song about "inclusiveness", if that is what you're after). So maybe with a level of knowledge like that of the music of the Wolfe Tones, it's possible that ignorance is the excuse for your comment about them being "vaguely sectarian".

Sectarian?? Hmmmmm...

"For far too long we've been a divided people" - (line from 'This is the Day')

So here's to those great Protestant Men, Who gave their lives to free our land - (line from 'Protestant Men')

For if ever the Catholics and Protestants united.... - (line from 'In Belfast')

While our north and south are divided, By religious bigotry, Our people have never decided to live, As one community. - ('Must Ireland Divided Be')

Now these days are gone and it's time to forget, The fights fought long ago. King Billy and James are in their graves, Where you can't felt friend from foe. (Line from 'Sash My Father Wore')
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

CD

On another Late Late Music related theme - did anyone see The Riptide Movement on the LL last night - really good band - playing the Empire in Belfast 22 May. £10 - a bargain! 
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

All of a Sludden

Quote from: The Wolfe Tones
And it said..............
Ooh ah up the Ra, say ooh ah up the Ra

How's that for inclusiveness.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Nally Stand

Quote from: All of a Sludden on March 29, 2014, 03:41:02 PM

Republicanism isn't sectarianism.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 29, 2014, 04:36:24 PM

But not for long.  ::)
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Syferus

Own who you are. Trying to dance around with semantics (yelling your support for a paramiltarty organisation linked with reems of sectarian violence isn't sectarian? Kay.) is why people like Adams and company are marginalised in the more moderate south.

Anyways, enjoyed Framps and his attitude to all this stuff will do more good for the north than a half century of Rah songs by the Wolfe Tones ever could.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2014, 05:29:03 PM

Own who you are. Trying to dance around with semantics (yelling your support for a paramiltarty organisation linked with reems of sectarian violence isn't sectarian? Kay.) is why people like Adams and company are marginalised in the more moderate south.

Anyways, enjoyed Framps and his attitude to all this stuff will do more good for the north than a half century of Rah songs by the Wolfe Tones ever could.
Sectarian attacks didn't typify IRA activites at any time in the last century. But sure it's always easy to generalise isn't it? Anyway, didn't Gerry Adams top the poll in Louth? "Moderate south" ffs. Easy to hold "moderate" views when you've spent years getting spoonfed whatever Section 31 state censorship dictated that you were allowed to hear I suppose.

Syferus

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 29, 2014, 05:56:21 PM

Sectarian attacks didn't typify IRA activites at any time in the last century. But sure it's always easy to generalise isn't it? Anyway, didn't Gerry Adams top the poll in Louth? "Moderate south" ffs. Easy to hold "moderate" views when you've spent years getting spoonfed whatever Section 31 state censorship dictated that you were allowed to hear I suppose.

Lovely.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2014, 06:08:49 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 29, 2014, 05:56:21 PM

Lovely.
What?

Farrandeelin

:-\ :-X :-[ Good on them for trying..
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

5 Sams

I am officially OLD. Jayo on The Late Late says he has a 15 year old son. Holy buck.
The Aristocrat Years

From the Bunker

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 26, 2014, 06:55:50 PM
I am officially OLD. Jayo on The Late Late says he has a 15 year old son. Holy buck.

Well he is 38 and next year it will be 20 years since he won a AI medal!