Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Quote from: johnnycool on September 06, 2022, 07:52:55 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on September 05, 2022, 04:09:03 PM
Quote from: ardtole on September 05, 2022, 03:21:33 PM
Bredagh beating Ballygalget at the weekend must have been the 1st time in a long time, a non-Ards club beat an Ards club.

Maybe Laoitrim have done it at some stage, or would it go right back to when Kilclief reigned supreme.
No, beat one of them in the championship previously

Bredagh have beat both ourselves and Ballycran last year, so not really a surprise. We've fallen down and will take a while to get back up and not taking away from Bredagh who've some fine hurlers in their team and probably should be with the county panel if not already.

RIP Martin Spike Baile, the last few years have been hard on the family as he'd an aggressive form of dementia take hold, hard to watch the impact it had on him, big, strong lad wasting away. Only turned 60 the other week.

Some player in his day, very unpredictable in all sorts of ways and was in his pomp when a lot of us young lads started coming through, he'd always look out for you, some craic on team building nights out.

Condolences to Sheila, Shane, Naomi, Caolan and especially the Da, Seamus, our treasurer for lord knows how many years, runs the bar, cuts the grass, you name it.

What is the landscape like now in Down regards club hurling at underage? I see Castlewellan are into 'A' grade finals at U-13 and U-15 level. Are some of the mainland clubs now on par with Ards' sides in most age groups?

terrifictommy

Is there no live streams this weekend? Enjoyed all that coverage last week.

johnnycool

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 06, 2022, 10:34:40 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 06, 2022, 07:52:55 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on September 05, 2022, 04:09:03 PM
Quote from: ardtole on September 05, 2022, 03:21:33 PM
Bredagh beating Ballygalget at the weekend must have been the 1st time in a long time, a non-Ards club beat an Ards club.

Maybe Laoitrim have done it at some stage, or would it go right back to when Kilclief reigned supreme.
No, beat one of them in the championship previously

Bredagh have beat both ourselves and Ballycran last year, so not really a surprise. We've fallen down and will take a while to get back up and not taking away from Bredagh who've some fine hurlers in their team and probably should be with the county panel if not already.

RIP Martin Spike Baile, the last few years have been hard on the family as he'd an aggressive form of dementia take hold, hard to watch the impact it had on him, big, strong lad wasting away. Only turned 60 the other week.

Some player in his day, very unpredictable in all sorts of ways and was in his pomp when a lot of us young lads started coming through, he'd always look out for you, some craic on team building nights out.

Condolences to Sheila, Shane, Naomi, Caolan and especially the Da, Seamus, our treasurer for lord knows how many years, runs the bar, cuts the grass, you name it.

What is the landscape like now in Down regards club hurling at underage? I see Castlewellan are into 'A' grade finals at U-13 and U-15 level. Are some of the mainland clubs now on par with Ards' sides in most age groups?

Castlewellan are coming strong at U15, in saying that I was surprised they beat Portaferry in Portaferry on Sunday past as the Ports would have been considered strong favourites based on results going into that game but they did beat us in the U13 final last year so they should be there or there abouts.
U13 they're the strongest team I've saw this year and should win that one.
They've also got a strong P7 outfit to boot in the go games, so keep up the good work is all I can say. They play a decent style of hurling and have plenty of skill in them.

We play O'Rahillies in the U17 semi-final on Wednesday evening in Liatroim which is a combination of Castlewellan, Liatroim, Balella, Ballyvarley and I think a Clonduff lad going by his shorts, they're probably slight favourites based on the last encounter and the winners will face Bredagh in the final, so the Ards aren't as dominant at underage as it used to be and that's a good thing for Down hurling.
From a Ballygalget perspective we've always struggled with teams able to field a full compliment of lads in their last years at that level. We don't have that luxury and will always be dipping into the younger lads to field and there's nothing you can do with a 14yo playing against a 16 or 70yo which will happen in quite a few positions on Wednesday night.

Truth hurts

Any thoughts on tonight? I think Rostrevor will win ok, Saul to take the Kingdom and I have a feeling the Stone can raise their game. They have a few scalps over the years in the championship and we could have another massive one tonight.

Lotto

10 minutes in and with 15 behind the ball, Longstone still score easily twice - what masterclass strategy from Poacher and the new Down coach Clarke.

Lotto

Quote from: Johnnysboys on September 05, 2022, 10:35:26 PM
Benny, Darren and Donal in with the minors. Strong south down connect again with another Burren man in the picture. They must have serious connections on the county board.
I agree with the previous statements about young lads having their head turned by other things in life apart from GAA. Hard to blame them.

Big weekend of action ahead - Hope this weather fecks off so the games aren ruined.

Three wonderful players for Down over the years but several issues for me. Benny has been a very mediocre coach with 2 clubs now, Darren has no coaching experience and is still playing, Donal apparently with an intermediate club in Louth and Burren minors with 5/6 others, he's also still playing. Sorry, Benny still staying with Rostrevor. How could anyone in their right mind make this appointment without any interview and still think that it is for the good of Down football moving forward?.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Lotto on September 08, 2022, 07:43:51 PM
10 minutes in and with 15 behind the ball, Longstone still score easily twice - what masterclass strategy from Poacher and the new Down coach Clarke.

This aged well 🙄

Truth hurts

Quote from: Lotto on September 08, 2022, 08:21:20 PM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on September 05, 2022, 10:35:26 PM
Benny, Darren and Donal in with the minors. Strong south down connect again with another Burren man in the picture. They must have serious connections on the county board.
I agree with the previous statements about young lads having their head turned by other things in life apart from GAA. Hard to blame them.

Big weekend of action ahead - Hope this weather fecks off so the games aren ruined.

Three wonderful players for Down over the years but several issues for me. Benny has been a very mediocre coach with 2 clubs now, Darren has no coaching experience and is still playing, Donal apparently with an intermediate club in Louth and Burren minors with 5/6 others, he's also still playing. Sorry, Benny still staying with Rostrevor. How could anyone in their right mind make this appointment without any interview and still think that it is for the good of Down football moving forward?.

And who would you want in? Jim McGuiness? It's a good team and they will do well, give them time. I really am excited for Down football next year, let's be positive Lotto, you are always complaining about something, you need to take up yoga.

terrifictommy

Goals galore in Liatroim last night, very high scoring! Rostrevor thought they had it in the bag early. Few cards dealt in Ballymartin after the game too I heard. And no Longstone score in 2nd half?

Truth hurts

Quote from: terrifictommy on September 09, 2022, 10:17:34 AM
Goals galore in Liatroim last night, very high scoring! Rostrevor thought they had it in the bag early. Few cards dealt in Ballymartin after the game too I heard. And no Longstone score in 2nd half?

I watched the Longstone game on Pairc tv, the first half was poor with Mayobridge standing off them and letting them have the kick out. In the second half they pushed everyone up and the Stone had no answer to the tenacity of Mayobridge. If that is the standard of the two teams coming up to division 1 next year then I think they will have a short stay.

Two games tonight in the SFC are really hard to call,  Clonduff really need a performance as they showed nothing against Kilcoo.

johnnycool

Quote from: terrifictommy on September 09, 2022, 10:17:34 AM

How does the lights in Liatroim impact upon the football?

I'm on record in saying that they're not high enough for hurling and our minor game on Wednesday night proved me right and we availed of a goal that dropped in from high, the keeper just didn't see it and several other times the defenders were all looking around them only to see the ball drop somewhere else..

Same for both teams and all that but not ideal.

terrifictommy

No impact on the game that I could tell, but artificial lighting will give that problem. Pairc esler has that effect too, maybe not to the same degree. Facilities up there nowadays are fantastic, great venue

befair

The facilities at Leitrim are amzing, a credit to them. It just shows you can be in division 2, and have a small playing population, but still be a great club.

johnnycool

Quote from: befair on September 09, 2022, 02:41:45 PM
The facilities at Leitrim are amzing, a credit to them. It just shows you can be in division 2, and have a small playing population, but still be a great club.

They are that alright, it's a pity about the lights though but I know they'd a height restriction placed upon them because of the Church Spire in the background.

Johnnysboys

Rory Mason and Oisin Savage. The difference...