Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splash

Was told it was Portaferry, then Ballycran and then Ballygalget.

Think I'm right in saying Portaferry have a couple lads who would come over on the boat to play for them, too, which obviously would make their pick bigger again.

Truth hurts

Would there be any love for football In Ards?

thewobbler

Things Down needs:

A centre of development.
An Ulster minor title.
A competitive SFC.
Two giant midfielders to appear from somewhere.

Things Down doesn't need and will never need but for some reason now have:

A blue away kit.

Mourne Red

Quote from: thewobbler on November 09, 2023, 10:32:18 AMThings Down needs:

A centre of development.
An Ulster minor title.
A competitive SFC.
Two giant midfielders to appear from somewhere.

Things Down doesn't need and will never need but for some reason now have:

A blue away kit.

Was wondering were this was going but I agree not a fan of that jersey. Bring back the yellow alternative

Truth hurts

Home: Red
Away: Black
Alternative: Yellow

Splash

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 09, 2023, 08:46:31 AMWould there be any love for football In Ards?

Think it was said here that Ballycran used to be competitive in Division 3 and the IFC. Know there's a few lads who come across the water to play football.

Personally think that the Ards teams look very fit, strong etc.- and I would imagine that could be enough competitive in Div 4/JFC level.

In my opinion, every club should be a dual club, and every child should have a chance to play both.

johnnycool

Quote from: Splash on November 09, 2023, 01:19:42 AMWas told it was Portaferry, then Ballycran and then Ballygalget.

Think I'm right in saying Portaferry have a couple lads who would come over on the boat to play for them, too, which obviously would make their pick bigger again.

Portaferry are by far the bigger parish, so yes in that regard (approx 2500 in the parish), followed by Ballycran/Kircubbin (1500) then we'd be well behind them with 700 or so in the parish.
The lines blur slightly when it comes to club allegiances though and then you've the expanding (nationalist) village of Cloughey which is split between ourselves and Ballycran. There'd be kids neighbours attending the same PS but go to different clubs.
Portaferry would have had a few Kilclief lads play juvenile for them, much like ourselves with Holywood and Newtownards lads, but not so much at adult level.

No1

Quote from: Splash on November 09, 2023, 12:16:57 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on November 09, 2023, 08:46:31 AMWould there be any love for football In Ards?

Think it was said here that Ballycran used to be competitive in Division 3 and the IFC. Know there's a few lads who come across the water to play football.

Personally think that the Ards teams look very fit, strong etc.- and I would imagine that could be enough competitive in Div 4/JFC level.

In my opinion, every club should be a dual club, and every child should have a chance to play both.

We had a couple of Ards men lining out in the football for us this regularly this season.  The boys who traditionally came over were either over just to keep a bit of fitness up or had fallen out with someone in their home club!  Any of the serious hurlers wouldn't even think about it.

JC's clubmate and Down hurling captain played one game for us in Div 4 this season was the outstanding player on the pitch.  Based on the 40 minutes he was on the pitch I reckon he could play Div 1 club football easily.  Might get a few red cards tho!

The Galgets have had a couple in the last few years with the O'Reilly's and Prenter I think?  JC can correct me if I'm wrong.

johnnycool

Quote from: No1 on November 09, 2023, 03:19:24 PM
Quote from: Splash on November 09, 2023, 12:16:57 PM

We had a couple of Ards men lining out in the football for us this regularly this season.  The boys who traditionally came over were either over just to keep a bit of fitness up or had fallen out with someone in their home club!  Any of the serious hurlers wouldn't even think about it.

JC's clubmate and Down hurling captain played one game for us in Div 4 this season was the outstanding player on the pitch.  Based on the 40 minutes he was on the pitch I reckon he could play Div 1 club football easily.  Might get a few red cards tho!

The Galgets have had a couple in the last few years with the O'Reilly's and Prenter I think?  JC can correct me if I'm wrong.

Did wee John play a bit of football for you? didn't know that. I presume that's who it is, not big plebs McGrath...  ;D

Prenter as much as he lives over here is officially a RGU player sanctioned to play hurling for us. I don't think he played any football this year, certainly not championship.
We'd two lads playing for Saul as well, don't think they did last year though.

Splash

Portaferry would have had a few Kilclief lads play juvenile for them, much like ourselves with Holywood and Newtownards lads, but not so much at adult level.

[/quote]

Would there be many players come down from Newtownards/Bangor/Holywood direction? 

Majority of hurling men I've met from North Down head to Belfast to play their hurling.

No1

QuoteDid wee John play a bit of football for you? didn't know that. I presume that's who it is, not big plebs McGrath...  ;D

Prenter as much as he lives over here is officially a RGU player sanctioned to play hurling for us. I don't think he played any football this year, certainly not championship.

Jordy Doran, some boy!  Haven't seen McGrath in a long time.

snoopdog

Anyone see the new alternative Down Jersey? It's Blue and black?? For some reason. I know they had a training Dubin kit last year but this looks like it's an away kit.

johnnycool

Quote from: Splash on November 09, 2023, 04:45:07 PMPortaferry would have had a few Kilclief lads play juvenile for them, much like ourselves with Holywood and Newtownards lads, but not so much at adult level.

Would there be many players come down from Newtownards/Bangor/Holywood direction? 

Majority of hurling men I've met from North Down head to Belfast to play their hurling.
[/quote]

It was a good few years ago we'd four or five St Pauls Holywood lads play a bit of hurling at underage for us, one was handy enough and had potential but took off to Cork to a University down there and never appeared back though I think he's playing football for St Pauls again so must have come back up the country

johnnycool

Quote from: No1 on November 09, 2023, 06:07:33 PM
QuoteDid wee John play a bit of football for you? didn't know that. I presume that's who it is, not big plebs McGrath...  ;D

Jordy Doran, some boy!  Haven't seen McGrath in a long time.

Sweet Jebus, I can only image what that was like.  ;D