Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: tintin25 on September 03, 2023, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: general_lee on September 02, 2023, 08:43:41 PM
it really is becoming a joke - is it a legal requirement to always go through insurance?

I've had a couple of really minor fender benders. Someone went into the back at me at traffic lights but there was actually no visible damage so I let it slide.

Another time a woman pulled out of a parking space beside me and scraped her car against the front of mine in the process. She didn't even notice it but luckily I was sat in the car and was able to get her attention. I was happy to settle it without informing insurance and got a quote she was happy with and we lived happily ever after...

If only everyone was as decent.  Bro n law had his car scraped by some woman as she reversed out of a parking space and he was stationery.  She accepted liability at the time and was agreed she'd sort.  Few weeks on and her insurer not accepting liability and bro n law being told that quickest way to settle would be for him to go through own insurer (£500 excess) and then pursue recovery thereafter.  You couldn't trust anyone these days.
Was once told (if you're in the right) report to the cops asap for a reference number, you never know what's going to happen as the amount of people who agree to keep insurance and cops out of it and then renege is huge.

David McKeown

Its a legal requirement in the north to report to the police any accident that results in damage to a vehicle other than your own or injury to any person not in your vehicle.  You dont legally have to inform your insurer unless you contracted to do so or are asked directly by them.  My experience is that most do contractually require it and will ask you.  Any failure may allow them to void your insurance and ultimately allow them to recover from you any claims theyve had to meet
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

grounded

Quote from: armaghniac on September 03, 2023, 09:25:30 AM
Quote from: grounded on September 02, 2023, 08:49:29 PM
Racket is right. Wife was informed by her insurance company that her car had been involved in an accident in England, even though we or her car hadnt left our house or the country and had cctv to prove it. Informed insurance company of same and was told they would address issue as obvious fraudulent claim/mistaken identity.
           Despite that being corrected her insurance went up as it was still recorded as a claim/incident in her insurance record history . As she is a named driver on my insurance my it has also increased as a result. Have contacted them numerous times but they said once it has been recorded on file thats it.

Ask them for all records under the Data Protection and invoke your right to have all errors corrected.

Will give that a go. Thanks so much.

general_lee

Just got a letter from my insurer saying they were unable to offer me a renewal quote. Rang them to query and was fobbed off with some bullshit about their underwriter.

Went to look at quotes on the comparison sites and the prices even at the lower end are ridiculous.

2 years ago my policy was £515 for the year. This time last year it went down to £496 however I did buy a different (bigger engine) version of the same model of car. Cheapest quote is now £1300! I was expecting a bit of a hike but that's taking the piss.

Anyone recommend any good companies to go with?

Mourne Red

Martin Lewis going live here talking about Car Insurance

marty34

Quote from: general_lee on November 07, 2023, 07:48:16 PMJust got a letter from my insurer saying they were unable to offer me a renewal quote. Rang them to query and was fobbed off with some bullshit about their underwriter.

Went to look at quotes on the comparison sites and the prices even at the lower end are ridiculous.

2 years ago my policy was £515 for the year. This time last year it went down to £496 however I did buy a different (bigger engine) version of the same model of car. Cheapest quote is now £1300! I was expecting a bit of a hike but that's taking the piss.

Anyone recommend any good companies to go with?

My small car's was up last week-end. It was £240. Fair enough, it's a pretty basic and old car.

I fogot to ring them to complete (but the car was parked at the house). I rung them yesterday morning. It's gone up to £300. 

I said why and it was because it had lapsed etc. Over £60.

I said I'd think about it. Didn't want to give them the satisfaction. Might check on-line tonight.

So if your insurance is approaching, get it completed...unlike me.

Tony Baloney

Same bollocks all over. House insurance, car insurance all up massively. Not looking forward to seeing the 19 year old renewal quote in January  :'( Fair enough the world has changed in the last couple of years but they are ganging up to absolutely rip the arse out of it.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 07, 2023, 08:12:55 PMSame bollocks all over. House insurance, car insurance all up massively. Not looking forward to seeing the 19 year old renewal quote in January  :'( Fair enough the world has changed in the last couple of years but they are ganging up to absolutely rip the arse out of it.

100% they are. Car insurance last year was 311. This year the renewal is in and they are looking 537. Have been ringing around and can't get it any cheaper than my renewal. In fact some of the prices I've been quoted make the renewal look cheap. It's f**king scandalous. Insurance companies are a complete cartel like oil and energy companies. When you query it, it's the same auld shite, inflation means car parts are more expensive, harder to get, more claims being paid out, blah blah, blah. People's wages haven't increased (at least mine hasn't) so I don't know how much longer they can keep gouging people.

armaghniac

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on November 07, 2023, 08:33:58 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 07, 2023, 08:12:55 PMSame bollocks all over. House insurance, car insurance all up massively. Not looking forward to seeing the 19 year old renewal quote in January  :'( Fair enough the world has changed in the last couple of years but they are ganging up to absolutely rip the arse out of it.

100% they are. Car insurance last year was 311. This year the renewal is in and they are looking 537. Have been ringing around and can't get it any cheaper than my renewal. In fact some of the prices I've been quoted make the renewal look cheap. It's f**king scandalous. Insurance companies are a complete cartel like oil and energy companies. When you query it, it's the same auld shite, inflation means car parts are more expensive, harder to get, more claims being paid out, blah blah, blah. People's wages haven't increased (at least mine hasn't) so I don't know how much longer they can keep gouging people.

No doubt the insurance companies are doing alright. But you also have to see the standard of driving and even the road accidents at the weekend. Someone seriously injured could cost millions to the insurance for treatment etc. The least scrape costs thousands. Road fatalities are up this year, there is feck all enforcement of any law. You ad a cyclist going through a red light, but the motorist was still held 20% responsible.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

clarshack

If it keeps going the way it is will more and more people just end up driving around with no insurance? Probably worth the risk if you drive an old banger but maybe not so much if you're running around in a 20-30 grand motor.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on November 07, 2023, 09:23:43 PMIf it keeps going the way it is will more and more people just end up driving around with no insurance? Probably worth the risk if you drive an old banger but maybe not so much if you're running around in a 20-30 grand motor.
Can you blame them. Sure anything happens the c***ts won't stand over you anyway or do their best not to .

Saffrongael

My home insurer (Post Office) emailed me at the weekend to tell me they would not be offering me a renewal quote. Thankfully I had already got it a bit cheaper than last years premium.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

WT4E

My car was 430 last year - renenwal with hughes came in at 720. Thought an online search might get me to 600 but that came in at 900. Got them down to 690. Wanted to DD it but was going to cost 120 more that way. A real ball breaker!

tiempo

Soundbite on why home insurance quotes were going up by so much was 'global warming/environmental responsibilities'

These companies couldn't give one f**k about the environment, bonus and dividends is their only concern, total price gouge

trailer

We need Sean Quinn back. He was untouchable in the insurance market.