2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

First few games in the league can be hard to call. Teams find form at different times and form can be up and down.

Nameless makes a good point about pace. You can have 3-4 lads that don't have the pace but in the modern game you can't have more than that. Laois have struggled with this for a few years and will be interesting to see how Sugrue handles this. It may mean giving youth a chance over experience and taking short term pain over long term gain.

Tony

I don't agree that it was a complacent team selection. Why? Because A: it's the league, and you should try out newer players so they'll be more ready for the all important championship. And B: Colm and Donie are clearly not at full fitness due to coming back from injury and recent virus respectively. Evan is playing more than enough games in the sigerson.

So unless you want a stack of injuries, you have to allow fellas time to come back, the HEALTHY way.

And C: you want to give all your players confidence and to be able to count on them so they'll feel more ready when the big games come and they're throw in against a big name player after 50 mins of a game during summer. Starting a league match and playing 70 mins is fantastic preparation. Spend a penny, save a pound, etc.

So, no, it wasn't a complacent team selection. Let's not get too depressed (!) it's the start of February in the freezing cold. Time to calm down and relax. It will all be ok  ;). The same lads would be complaining that Begley and Donie were brought back too early if they happened to pick up an injury during the first half. Time to face reality : Sugrue and the setup know better than you  :-X.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 04, 2019, 10:41:30 AM
Complacency was the biggest factor on Saturday .

It came from the manager with the team selection and filtered through the players ..

I've no doubt we will thump Sligo the next day ..

Not going to criticise too many but I'd only give pass marks to munnelly Boyle Brody Begley Scilly was unlucky to be taken back off.

The train on the way home was a sober one with the rugger heads crying into their beer aswell
Saying we will thump Sligo on Sunday is more complacency. I'd take a one point win now any day of the week

High Fielder

I wouldn't say complacent but I would say wrong. I'd like to know what the full panel is but I do know that when I see certain lads' names on the team I am either disappointed or worried. There are lads in the Under 20s I'd rather see on the team or at least around the panel. Hard work is always a welcome trait, but if you're out of position, nervous, or maybe just not good enough, you will get found out. We seem determined to put square pegs in round holes sometimes and it doesn't always work. The team selection was odd to say the least in light of everything that went wrong in the first half in Newry

Tony

It's easy to say it's wrong, now, with the power of hindsight. At the time, it was worthwhile persisting with certain fellas in certain positions. It's the 2nd League game in all fairness. Let's be fair, nearly all of us thought we'd have enough against a team who hadn't won a competitive game since 2017. It wasn't complacency, it was just being realistic. The team named was ok. Changes will be made going forward. The fact that you have hindsight on your side now, doesn't make you an expert.

Giovanni

To be fair to HF, if you look back through his posts you will see that he said was worried about the team selection well before the game on Saturday. So I don't think you can say that his views are only based on hindsight. I'm curious though about which U-20 players he thinks would improve things?

Don Draper

Do lads want us to throw a few more lads to the wolves? That didn't do us much good with the likes of Shiels, Keane and Moore. Give them a chance develop ffs, we'll get more out of them that way.

Tony

For once in a long time, I have to agree with the Don Master himself. Give the lads a chance, a lot are new to this level.

High Fielder

I'm all for giving chances to players but some lads, in my opinion, are not good enough. I won't name them because that's not fair. I'm actually shocked they've got this far. That's how strong I feel about it. O'Flynn in Courtwood, Saunders in Portlaoise and Tyrell in Camross are all lads I'd like to see given a try. There are more too. I'm not doubting Sugrue for one minute and he has my full backing because Saturday was just one of those days. He also knows and sees a tonne more than I ever will. But I trust my instincts and in my opinion, at least 3 of that team that played Saturday are no addition to us. Hard work does not a footballer make. In fairness to one of them, he has potential but none in his current position

ILikeStrawberryJam

Division 3 will be a dog fight. There is no stand out team in it.
We badly need a partner for JOL.
Dont know what the solution there is.

The PRO

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on February 04, 2019, 09:23:49 PM
If he's any way right, Meaney.

les Antiques

Midfield has been an issue for a while i think . While Johnno does a good job and has consistently done good for us there I don't think he was or ever will be a natural midfielder.  Quigley probably was the last natural centre fielder we had but he'll be way off championship pace come May/June . In fairness Lillis and JOl did a great job for us last year together .

les Antiques

Quote from: The PRO on February 04, 2019, 09:34:46 PM
Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on February 04, 2019, 09:23:49 PM
If he's any way right, Meaney.
A year out of the inter county scene wouldn't have helped him but stIll may be an option . Still not the solution though

Laoiseabu

Anyone have any guesses on what the long term solutions will be for midfield ? Just say after Jol Lillis and meaney who are all over 30?

les Antiques

There's no really stand out candidates presently. When and if Tuohy returns he would be a possible candidate at midfield but not  a long term solution either I suppose . He could be well in his thirties also.