2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on January 27, 2019, 10:21:37 PM
Great to score 2 goals yesterday as we have struggled under previous managers to do this. A good battling performance but tougher tests to come. Carlow put up a decent score in Sligo. Westmeath just got over Offaly. Will be a very competitive campaign.
Sligo are shite. Westmeath always struggle with their betters in Offaly.

We'll be a-one.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

That was a home game for Carlow and was a horrible game to watch, especially the first half. Carlow are still as defensive as ever and the goal was on OG which came from a 45. Laois should be well able to finish in the top two positions in this group. John Sugrue said he is still working from a panel of 40 so he has lots of options still. Great win up there in what was a very hostile atmosphere and sets us up nicely in the group.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Nice to see Sugrue didn't cull the panel as speculated by some on here at the time.

Nameless

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on January 28, 2019, 07:18:31 AM
Great win up there in what was a very hostile atmosphere and sets us up nicely in the group.

It was just like playing away in Galatasaray!  ;D I don't know where you were but that was far from hostile.

County Man

Fantastic win in Newry, unreal second half especially.

Big Donie did untold damage in the 2nd half, what a genius. The Portarlington lads all did very well. Everyone tried hard, we were physical.

Lets push on now for round 2 in Croke Park.

The PRO

Quote from: Don Draper on January 28, 2019, 10:14:12 AM
Nice to see Sugrue didn't cull the panel as speculated by some on here at the time.
He will have to at some stage though you'd think. 40 plus seems too many. 35 or 36 seems to be the usual number carried.
I'd say a few under 20's will drop to their own panel.

portlaoisekid

A great start and a good foundation for the rest of league .

BTW I was reading Downs forum to see what their take is and they claim that Carlow's Steven Poacher had an altercation with Laois stats team at the back of the stand and threw a water bottle at them. Has anyone heard anything about this?

The PRO

Quote from: portlaoisekid on January 28, 2019, 03:41:34 PM
A great start and a good foundation for the rest of league .

BTW I was reading Downs forum to see what their take is and they claim that Carlow's Steven Poacher had an altercation with Laois stats team at the back of the stand and threw a water bottle at them. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Impossible. Not Stevie. Wouldn't be in his nature. I'd say he was offering him a drink and possibly his hand slipped.

Giovanni

Was humming and hawing about whether to head up to this on Saturday night but was delighted that I did!

The thing that struck me was that every Laois player knew exactly what they were doing and the team performance was outstanding. While it's true that Donie did make a difference when he came on, I don't agree that this result was all about Donie. There was a fantastic structure to everything that was done and even when we went 5 point down, I never really felt we were out of it. The players showed a lot of composure and confidence in breaking down what looked like a pretty organised Down defence.

On player performance, I thought that of all of the new lads did well. Adam Campion and Seale had their hands full but the longer the game went on, the better they got. Piggott had a pretty good second half - his man Poland, who I thought looked a very good player in the first half, was eventually substituted in the second. Sean Byrne was also quiet enough in the first half but he did make one outstanding catch and made a goal-saving tackle/block to deny Down at a critical time.

The other thing that struck me was the fitness levels of the older lads. I thought Colm Begley looks like he's in better shape than he's ever been and JOL who has sometimes looked a bit sluggish in the past seemed to be flying even on the soft ground. Donie has a bit of catching up to do in that respect.

I didn't get the hostile atmosphere - in fact I thought the Down supporters were a lot more hospitable than you might find in some other northern counties (or southern ones for that matter).

I was in the stand, not too far in front of the where the officials were seated. I didn't see any incident but I'm assuming it would have been behind me so that's not to say it didn't happen.

recyclebin

I wasn't up in Newry myself. What did people make of the forward mark? Looks like both teams got a few scores from them. I can see more teams becoming even more defensive to prevent a free kick at goal.

smcder

Wasn't a hostile crowd. Some of them seemed down on there own team.

Unlaoised

Wow what a win ...

Delighted I travelled up although a quick call to realitives in the North meant i misjudged the time and missed the first 12 minutes of the game .

I was impressed with Laois and our fitness levels .

Byrne Piggott and Murphy done themselves no harm

Boyle slotted in there like he was never away and gives us options on the ball when he releases it quick due to his accurate kick passing .

Dillion was good as was o loughlin

Donnie made a huge difference but Evan gets my nod for man of the match ...yes the odd silly selection on shots etc but he really looks in great shape this year and kept us in it in the first half ...

Great to see callihane involved hopefully he stays around .

Down were poor on the night and didn't seem as Well drilled as us esp when the conditions were with them in the second half .

There supporters were complimenting our style .

One guy said he was glad to see Donie back to form as he thought 10 years ago he was going to be better than Benny counter after a performance against Down in o Moore park ..

Bring on the wee county in croker
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: smcder on January 29, 2019, 11:52:41 PM
Going in I was greeted with,"F..k back home and bring those blue shirted b**tards with ya.. Inside we got some very unhealthy looks and some choice words from a few guys behind us and later on I heard a commotion near the back of the stand like chairs been thrown around or something, might have been coming from the commentary box. The stand was great and the match was good at times, especially the second half. There was only two of us but we made sure to walk out with a crowd... just in case like... :)

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

Sales of tin foil are going well in dunnes this week Junior. Ah no, if that's what you experienced, that's not nice. I found the crowd we were around to be quite friendly. And we didn't hide that we were from Laois. Maybe you got the 1% who are at every ground. They're always there. Somewhere. Lurking. You know it's not your day when one is sitting or standing right behind you at a match. They never shut up and they never stop talking #&§£;#:

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on January 30, 2019, 02:29:21 AM
Quote from: smcder on January 29, 2019, 11:52:41 PM
Going in I was greeted with,"F..k back home and bring those blue shirted b**tards with ya.. Inside we got some very unhealthy looks and some choice words from a few guys behind us and later on I heard a commotion near the back of the stand like chairs been thrown around or something, might have been coming from the commentary box. The stand was great and the match was good at times, especially the second half. There was only two of us but we made sure to walk out with a crowd... just in case like... :)
Jesus, are you ok?