Westminster General Election 2024

Started by lurganblue, May 22, 2024, 04:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Snapchap on Today at 11:45:47 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on Today at 10:50:02 AMa politician that runs on one manifesto intending to do something else is no help.

Well let's examine some of the pledges that Starmer made during his Labour Party leadership contest.

Back then, he pledged to nationalise Water, energy, rail and mail. By 2022, it was announced that Labour, under his leadership, would not nationalise water, energy or rail.

He had a list of other pledges on his website at the time, which included pledges on eg tuition fee abolition. Once he won the leadership, he rowed back on each of the pledges and the info was removed from his website.

Another of his pledges was to "bring back" free movement of people and to defend migrant's rights. By November 2022, he announced his intention to end 'immigration dependency', a stance so right wing that he won the priase of Nigel Farage (he also complained that there are too many foreigners working in the NHS).

He pledged that he would "work shoulder to shoulder with trade unions to stand up for working people". Since taking the party leadership, he banned Labour frontbenchers from attending picket lines and even sacked one of his MPs for standing alongside striking RMT workers.

He pledged to tackle climate change with a £28bn spend. Then he got his bum in the seat and slashed that committment to £4.7bn.

He also pledged to end factionalism in the party and end attacks from within on Jeremy Corbyn, and I don't think I need to say more on how well he stuck to that one.

A leader alone does not determine the party policy. As I said, the party has to propose policies that will get it elected or it will change nothing and free movement of people is a policy that does not seem popular in England.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kidder81

Soem of you need to accept Corbyn is gone and isn't coming back ffs

Snapchap

You specifically referred to "a politician that runs on one manifesto intending to do something else"

I'm simply pointing out that Kier Starmer has some significant form when it comes to running on on the back of manifesto pledges that he has no intention of honouring.

Snapchap

Quote from: Kidder81 on Today at 12:05:48 PMSoem of you need to accept Corbyn is gone and isn't coming back ffs

Who suggested otherwise, Kidder?

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 22, 2024, 09:02:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 22, 2024, 05:50:38 PM
Quote from: red hander on May 22, 2024, 05:33:25 PMSad thing is, we'll be swapping one shower of odious bastards for another shower of odious bastards. I wouldn't trust Starmer as far ad I could throw the cnut.

He's a politician but has less malign intent than the Tories.
A bit like Biden and Trump, you can have an unimpressive candidate or an outright dangerous one.
I'd say theres plenty in Gaza who'd say Bidens fair dangerous as well!

Biden hasn't stopped the Israelis in Gaza, but he did not cause it.

Feckitt

My prediction for this election in the North is that Nationalists will outpoll Unionists. This happened for first time ever at the local elections last year.  The trend cannot be reversed and Unionists will never outpoll Natiobalists ever again,  including in a Unity Referendum.

weareros

Quote from: Feckitt on Today at 01:43:49 PMMy prediction for this election in the North is that Nationalists will outpoll Unionists. This happened for first time ever at the local elections last year.  The trend cannot be reversed and Unionists will never outpoll Natiobalists ever again,  including in a Unity Referendum.

They should but may also be giving up a few percentage points to help Farry in North Down and Long in East Belfast, whereas Unionists will step aside to help another Unionist and overall won't give up Unionist percentages.

red hander

Quote from: Snapchap on Today at 11:45:47 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on Today at 10:50:02 AMa politician that runs on one manifesto intending to do something else is no help.

Well let's examine some of the pledges that Starmer made during his Labour Party leadership contest.

Back then, he pledged to nationalise Water, energy, rail and mail. By 2022, it was announced that Labour, under his leadership, would not nationalise water, energy or rail.

He had a list of other pledges on his website at the time, which included pledges on eg tuition fee abolition. Once he won the leadership, he rowed back on each of the pledges and the info was removed from his website.

Another of his pledges was to "bring back" free movement of people and to defend migrant's rights. By November 2022, he announced his intention to end 'immigration dependency', a stance so right wing that he won the priase of Nigel Farage (he also complained that there are too many foreigners working in the NHS).

He pledged that he would "work shoulder to shoulder with trade unions to stand up for working people". Since taking the party leadership, he banned Labour frontbenchers from attending picket lines and even sacked one of his MPs for standing alongside striking RMT workers.

He pledged to tackle climate change with a £28bn spend. Then he got his bum in the seat and slashed that committment to £4.7bn.

He also pledged to end factionalism in the party and end attacks from within on Jeremy Corbyn, and I don't think I need to say more on how well he stuck to that one.

Like I said, the bastard couldn't lie straight in bed. You cannot trust a word that comes out of his mouth.

armaghniac

Quote from: Feckitt on Today at 01:43:49 PMMy prediction for this election in the North is that Nationalists will outpoll Unionists. This happened for first time ever at the local elections last year.  The trend cannot be reversed and Unionists will never outpoll Natiobalists ever again,  including in a Unity Referendum.

Maybe, but there is no great incentive to turn out in some constituencies. Say in Newry and Armagh, where people could not name their Westminster MP and where there is no real doubt about who will be elected. 

marty34

Quote from: weareros on Today at 03:36:32 PM

They should but may also be giving up a few percentage points to help Farry in North Down and Long in East Belfast, whereas Unionists will step aside to help another Unionist and overall won't give up Unionist percentages.

I wonder, for all the talk of infighting within unionism currently, will they come together and have a pact?