Clock Hooter in play from this weekend...

Started by AZOffaly, February 20, 2014, 11:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterfordlad

The downsides of this are in Gaelic football teams will handpass around for the last 30 seconds or so keeping possession which won't look good as the clock runs down. I've seen this in womens football. Also teams will waste time deliberately in closing minutes if ahead and the ref won't have the same discretion to add on time.

sligoman2

It's only a matter of time before a clock is in effect for all games. I also think that 2 refs will also happen soon
Personally I would like to see the clock stopped everytime the play stops in the last two minutes to cut out time wasting with kickouts and frees etc....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ck

Quote from: sligoman2 on February 20, 2014, 11:34:33 PM
It's only a matter of time before a clock is in effect for all games. I also think that 2 refs will also happen soon
Personally I would like to see the clock stopped everytime the play stops in the last two minutes to cut out time wasting with kickouts and frees etc....

Yeah like your idea on stopping the last two mins but the 2 ref idea. Nah no way. Refs are inconsistant enough without inconsistency in one game.

johnneycool

Quote from: waterfordlad on February 20, 2014, 09:05:41 PM
The downsides of this are in Gaelic football teams will handpass around for the last 30 seconds or so keeping possession which won't look good as the clock runs down. I've seen this in womens football. Also teams will waste time deliberately in closing minutes if ahead and the ref won't have the same discretion to add on time.

Is there a clock on display as well as a hooter?

<Edit> the clue was in the title....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on February 21, 2014, 09:22:46 AM

Is there a clock on display as well as a hooter?

I'll settle for just the Hooters
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

If the ball is in play then keeping possession is still legitimate, and surely any time wasting like taking an inordinate amount of time to take kick outs, frees or whatever can result in the referee stopping the clock? No?

waterfordlad

The Clock, which will count up from 0.00, will be operated by a timekeeper, who will only stop the clock when directed to do so by the referee. The clock will only be stopped for relevant on-field injuries or other incidental delays not otherwise provided for in the playing rules. The making of substitutions, the issuing of Yellow/Black/Red Cards and other Disciplinary matters, including consultation between match officials, will not normally result in the clock being stopped (the only exception being where a referee adjudges there is a deliberate or abnormally significant time delay in such circumstances which merits it).

It's not that clear from the original post but there's definitely a possibility of timewasting in injury time or late in game now that the ref won't allow for.

Keeping possession is certainly ok but handpassing the ball around in circles or backwards like I've seen in ladies game to run down the clock doesn't look good to me. I know in the modern football it happens a lot anyway but this would be making it worse in my view.

We'll have to see how it goes anyway over the next few months.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: waterfordlad on February 21, 2014, 12:18:47 PM
The Clock, which will count up from 0.00, will be operated by a timekeeper, who will only stop the clock when directed to do so by the referee. The clock will only be stopped for relevant on-field injuries or other incidental delays not otherwise provided for in the playing rules. The making of substitutions, the issuing of Yellow/Black/Red Cards and other Disciplinary matters, including consultation between match officials, will not normally result in the clock being stopped (the only exception being where a referee adjudges there is a deliberate or abnormally significant time delay in such circumstances which merits it).

It's not that clear from the original post but there's definitely a possibility of timewasting in injury time or late in game now that the ref won't allow for.

Keeping possession is certainly ok but handpassing the ball around in circles or backwards like I've seen in ladies game to run down the clock doesn't look good to me. I know in the modern football it happens a lot anyway but this would be making it worse in my view.

We'll have to see how it goes anyway over the next few months.

You have answered this already, the referee will direct the clock guy when told so, be that injury time of the first mnute I'd imagine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Denn Forever

The Hooter seems to work ok in the Ladies  game.  People seem  to reinvent the wheel.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

QuoteThe Hooter seems to work ok in the Ladies  game.  People seem  to reinvent the wheel.

Ladies often have hooters where men do not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 20, 2014, 03:36:24 PM
I'll never forget my first time in hooters. Downtown Phoenix before a Phoenix Coyotes game. Ice Hockey never seemed so good.

Mine was in Pittsburgh on a "business" trip with a few local business men in the early 90s. You should have seen their eyes...they were used to Friar Tucks and Pat Price's. :o
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

Seems an obvious and easy amendment for the game to only end when the ball goes dead. Hopefully the GAA don't make a mountain out of that particular and have it ready for next year.