A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Quote from: foxcommander on July 18, 2016, 10:56:26 PM
I can only see this as Micheal chancing his arm with those who have a renewed sense of nationalism after the 1916 events this year.
Lots of potential young voters to be influenced who probably think that Bertie and Brian are those lads off Sesame Street.

Your boys got gazumped here foxy ; 

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on July 18, 2016, 10:32:52 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 18, 2016, 10:09:15 PM
But you have a point in that a hymn sheet probably hasn't been drawn up yet, let alone communicated to Dublin.

What hymns are there do you think?

God Moves in a Mysterious Way
How Firm A Foundation
I Vow To Thee My Country
And Can It Be

Probably not Jerusalem.

Make me a (deeper) Channel of your Peace
A Maze in Grace
Bojo, Ye Spanish Harlot
Little Drummer Bhoy
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

This Brokenshire fella is having none of it...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hereiam

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2016, 11:06:14 PM
A Maze in Grace
Bojo, Ye Spanish Harlot
Little Drummer Bhoy

All God's People Come Together
Bind us Together Lord
Céad Míle Fáilte Romhat
Do Not Be Afraid
Now Thank we all our God

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OgraAnDun

Quote from: armaghniac on July 18, 2016, 11:27:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2016, 11:06:14 PM
A Maze in Grace
Bojo, Ye Spanish Harlot
Little Drummer Bhoy

All God's People Come Together
Bind us Together Lord
Céad Míle Fáilte Romhat
Do Not Be Afraid
Now Thank we all our God

Lady of Knock must be in there somewhere.

heganboy

Fascinating stuff

Kenny saying that NI would be straight into the EU just like the reunification of Germany.

The country hasn't heard this kind of rhetoric about the North from politicians in 80 years!

Now here is what it gets interesting. Those three parties together represent 75% of the dáil.

Would the EU question given the projected decimation of the NI economy be enough to trigger 50% + 1?

Paddy Power. Where are you on this one?

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

armaghniac

I'd  say the idea here is to put a bit of pressure on  Foster,  whose present stance is that NI not get a special deal. Basically to get to a point where a NI more e economically integrated with the South in some special deal is regarded by unionists as better than the alternative.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Hereiam on July 18, 2016, 11:25:17 PM
He looks like a right english w**ker
He does. However until he, or whoever succeeds him calls a border poll, there won't be one. So basically, it's all depending on one official to call it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Applesisapples

This will put no pressure on Foster, there will be no poll and even if there was there is no way unionists will abandon the UK even if they did vote remain.

armaghniac

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 19, 2016, 08:51:15 AM
This will put no pressure on Foster, there will be no poll and even if there was there is no way unionists will abandon the UK even if they did vote remain.

Proper unionists are now in a minority and there is a significant wedge of expedient unionists who regarded the continuation of the union as the simplest thing for stability. Brexit means that the union now offers instability, especially if Scotland reaches escape velocity. Now I am not saying that a poll would pass, but we are now entering a period when the DUP cannot simply try and line people up and assume that there will always be more unionists on every issue, there will not.

What people in NI want is for this Brexit crap to be sorted with whatever special arrangements are required to keep the border as it is and which does not disadvantage border regions. Foster doesn't want special arrangements, but the majority of NI people do and she must put up with it. Some of this is just setting the tone.

T Fearon

The border poll defined in the GFA is meaningless.The wording states that if such a poll indicates majority support for a United Ireland "both governments are committed to taking cognisance of this and coming up with an agreed way forward" That's a far cry from a commitment to implementing a united Ireland,and either or both Govt's can veto it and there is no timescale mentioned whatsoever

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on July 19, 2016, 09:49:58 PM
The border poll defined in the GFA is meaningless.The wording states that if such a poll indicates majority support for a United Ireland "both governments are committed to taking cognisance of this and coming up with an agreed way forward" That's a far cry from a commitment to implementing a united Ireland,and either or both Govt's can veto it and there is no timescale mentioned whatsoever

Even you Tony are not claiming that if the Poll was for a UI that they weren't going to implement it! There would be quite a few loose ends to tidy up so some time would be needed. But a successful poll would need a clear plan beforehand and this would cut down the time needed. The trick is to ensure that the poll is held after a proper plan and not Brexit style with no plan.

T Fearon

They are not leaving the EU in any hurry.Read the GFA.There is no firm commitment to implementing the results of a border poll should one take place and return a majority vote for constitutional change

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 19, 2016, 09:49:58 PM

Yes and a Brexit vote isn't binding so means nothing.

..Oh wait!

MWWSI 2017