Rule changes to improve football

Started by Rossfan, November 22, 2017, 01:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on November 23, 2017, 03:11:23 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on November 23, 2017, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2017, 10:54:34 AM

All the overcarrying comes from the solo run though - especially if you run very fast.
I'm in favour of keeping it but enforce the steps.

I think the steps rule is enforced as well as it can be. I think if it is to be forced to the letter then it should be increased to 6 steps or tinkered with to allow players to stay on the ball in certain cases.
I think time should be used instead of number steps. Refs aren't looking at every stride a player is taking and counting them. They are just estimating. This is why I think certain players can get away with more. Time is easier to measure.
hope refs can measure time better than they do currently for the advantage rule then

rosnarun

Quote from: AQMP on November 23, 2017, 01:40:48 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 22, 2017, 09:01:00 PM
Gridiron football is always chopping and changing its rules almost on an annual basis.

The egg chasers here are always tinkering with the rules.

^ new laws this year all done to help the team in possession so as to to make the game good for TV and in reality  has the opposite effect . unless you like watching a team hanging onto the ball until some one strays offside. ever notice how rarely the commentators analyse these off sides compared to Soccer is it because rules are so complex and constantly changing  neither the players nor the analysts under stand most of the decisions.
I think the golden rules for playing law changes are
Dont change rules  it unless it totally obvious something needs to be changed
and never do it to fix a very specific problem as the law of unintended consequences will kick in very quickly  ,
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

All the overcarrying comes from the solo run though - especially if you run very fast.

I think the steps rule is enforced as well as it can be. I think if it is to be forced to the letter then it should be increased to 6 steps or tinkered with to allow players to stay on the ball in certain cases.
I think time should be used instead of number steps. Refs aren't looking at every stride a player is taking and counting them. They are just estimating. This is why I think certain players can get away with more. Time is easier to measure.
anyone who watches football or has player it notices the break in rhythm when some one takes extra step. most overcarrying come during tackles or bearing down on goal and i think ref like to give (wrongly) give advantage to the player being fouled and fer for theor lives of disallowing goals eg con  o callaghan in last years all ireland, but every knows this so its not that big an issue .

what I had is some one who tackles well for the first 4 steps and is then pulled for a foul on the 7th or 8th  step 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Orchard park

as a coach i despise the inability of refs to penalise steps. you coach backs into patience,  not fouling, timing their tackle and forcing the over carry and then there is no feckin whistle....aaarghh

Bord na Mona man

Ban two-handed push in goals. One-handed strikes only.

Rossfan

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 23, 2017, 03:40:19 PM
Agreed. They're basically throws. ......but then again seeing as the game has become throwball...... (Apologies to Throw  Ball ;D)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2017, 04:30:49 PM
Agreed. They're basically throws. ......but then again seeing as the game has become throwball...... (Apologies to Throw  Ball ;D)

That's a nonsense idea. If you're bet like that you deserve to concede a goal.

JimStynes

BennyCake

Did anyone see Christopher Bradley's goal v Kilcar? How it wasn't disallowed I'll never know.

Eamonnca1

It already is time OR number of steps. I see it sometimes here when young fellas who play basketball start playing Gaelic football. Rookies sometimes catch the ball and then stand for a few seconds with their feet planted to the ground while deciding what to do and they get blown up for holding the ball.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: JimStynes on November 24, 2017, 06:58:14 AM
Next score wins
Isn't that  how it is if you're still drawn at the end of double extra time?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 28, 2017, 11:31:17 PM
Next score wins

I think in some competitions at least it's a free taking contest. We lost a game on penalties once!

Therealdonald

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 29, 2017, 10:55:33 AM
Next score wins

I think in some competitions at least it's a free taking contest. We lost a game on penalties once!

I'd like to see something done with the kickout. Either it has to cross the 45 or it's a free in for the opposing team. An indirect free a la head injury. I think alot of the game's evils at the minute can be put down to the short kick-out and conceding it and flooding back. Now this rule would just be for senior games. Something needs done with the injury time as well. It's a complete farce. There's never the allowed amount of time played.

westbound

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 29, 2017, 04:50:41 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 29, 2017, 10:55:33 AM
Next score wins

I'd like to see something done with the kickout. Either it has to cross the 45 or it's a free in for the opposing team. An indirect free a la head injury. I think alot of the game's evils at the minute can be put down to the short kick-out and conceding it and flooding back. Now this rule would just be for senior games. Something needs done with the injury time as well. It's a complete farce. There's never the allowed amount of time played.

Surely the natural reaction for the defensive minded teams to this rule is to bring even more players back (i.e. everybody). At the moment there is a chance that some players will stay pushed up to counteract the possibility of a short kick out. But if a rule forces every kick out past the 45, why would any forward stay inside the 45? You'd end up any even more congested midfield area and an even more defensive set up.

Personally, I don't think the short kick out is the problem. I think it's a symptom of the problem which is the defensive set ups and lots of players behind the ball.

My suggestion is a rule that forces teams to leave at least 6 players inside your opponents 45 when you opponent is kicking out the ball. [The rule would have to be worded to allow this 6 to be reduced to 5 if your team had a man sent off].
The way I see it, this would force kick outs to go long because automatically, the 6 forwards will be pushed up on the 6 defenders. It would also leave more space around the middle of the field because 6 players are forced to stay out of the area (and almost without fail, the 6 defenders would stay to mark the 6 forwards).

I suppose my suggestion is similar to the idea proposed by joe brolly a few years ago where he suggested that the 15 players should reset for each kick out.
The difference with my suggestion is that you wouldn't have to wait for ages to reset 30 players. it'd just be waiting on 6 players who would most likely be inside the 45 anyway if they have just scored or had a shot at goal. Also, to prevent deliberately slowing the kick out by the team not taking the kick out, the punishment for not having 6 players inside the 45 could be a free from where ever the kick out lands.

I'm sure there are unintended consequences to my suggestion as well, so lets hear your thoughts!  ;)