johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 24, 2023, 09:46:13 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 23, 2023, 04:35:29 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 22, 2023, 09:55:03 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on August 22, 2023, 08:56:00 PM
Zebra mussel major problem.

Yep. Feck all to do with the sand.

Which is probably causing other problems

That dredging has been going on for generations. Would it really be causing any new problems?
I grew up on and learned to swim in the Lough. I wouldn't put a dog in it now. When I was growing up the Lough Neagh Midges swarmed in millions. On a summer night it was like smoke above the trees. Only people who grew up there could hack it. now there are houses everywhere and this year in particular not a midge in sight, down to 50 years of dredging. The extra housing due to an influx of non-natives is adding to the pressure. In addition even though the shoreline is a protected area people along the shore are levelling and filling in habitat and the DRD does not give too fucks.

People from West Belfast?  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 24, 2023, 11:49:16 AM

That dredging has been going on for generations. Would it really be causing any new problems?
I grew up on and learned to swim in the Lough. I wouldn't put a dog in it now. When I was growing up the Lough Neagh Midges swarmed in millions. On a summer night it was like smoke above the trees. Only people who grew up there could hack it. now there are houses everywhere and this year in particular not a midge in sight, down to 50 years of dredging. The extra housing due to an influx of non-natives is adding to the pressure. In addition even though the shoreline is a protected area people along the shore are levelling and filling in habitat and the DRD does not give too fucks.

Blaming the Westies for what the farmers are shoving into the lakes/rivers/loughs!! While the farming kids are pissing the slurry all over the Holylands!

;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2023, 12:56:00 PM

Blaming the Westies for what the farmers are shoving into the lakes/rivers/loughs!! While the farming kids are pissing the slurry all over the Holylands!

;D
Mainly from Lurgan, even worse ;D

ONeill

Sure it was formed from horse pish anyway.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Townies from Lurgan really. Living in the country as a lifestyle choice, able to enjoy more space, a bigger house, etc.. Last time I was there I was struck by the absence of the midges and the growing size of houses. The midges used to keep them away from even visiting the place to say nothing of living there, but that's no longer stopping them. I remember when the house of the McConaghys (Ashburn/Court House owners) on the Lough Road was the biggest and most impressive house in town, but now houses of that size or bigger have been thrown up along the ramparts of Derrytrasna. 

seafoid

According to Wikipedia the Lough provides 40% of the North's drinking water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lough_Neagh

smort

armaghniac

They need to get their finger out and measure water quality on different flows in the upper Bann and the lake, and tackle the worst cases immediately.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AustinPowers

So what's the solution?

Will  dredging the rivers help?  I believe  there was protests about  that lately .

angermanagement

Was in Warrenpoint during the week. The smell of the place would've turned you whatever it was. Flys everywhere as well.

Upandover

Quote from: AustinPowers on September 10, 2023, 02:10:15 PM
So what's the solution?

Will  dredging the rivers help?  I believe  there was protests about  that lately .

Why would dredging help this issue?

The lough has been treated like the norths septic tank with all manner of literal shite washed into it, this is the reason behind the algae in a nutshell.

seafoid

Are a lot of nitrates flowing into the Lough on top of everything else ?

Upandover

Yes, all manner of things being washed into the lough.

Slurry, fertiliser, sewage, as i said one large septic tank.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Upandover on September 10, 2023, 03:50:28 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on September 10, 2023, 02:10:15 PM
So what's the solution?

Why would dredging help this issue?

The lough has been treated like the norths septic tank with all manner of literal shite washed into it, this is the reason behind the algae in a nutshell.

But surely  all that crap  has been  emptying into the Lough for years. Why now  are we only seeing  the algae on  this scale?