The untapped global potential of Gaelic games

Started by Eamonnca1, February 27, 2014, 06:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I'm mostly involved with underage but everyone I've shown football to has loved it while hurling reviews have been mixed and the kids certainly enjoy playing football though they've had less experience with hurling to be fair.

Either way, it's the promotion of them internationally that is the goal and I agree with you, there is massive potential.

ONeill

Bought it a few hours ago. Read first and last and skimmed middle for now.

I'm a sieve-head on this board and don't really remember anything about anyone. I should pay more attention. But now I'm almost in awe of the effort you have put in over the water. Spent a while there watching your videos and it puts more meat on the bones.

Enjoyed reading about your early years over. You make a good case in the final chapter but I totally disagree!!

Well done, and a great achievement putting that fine publication out. A bucket-lister.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

I tried to get a club going here but was asked to back off for a couple of years as there is a fledgling Hurling Club in Appleton, 30 mile up the road from Green Bay and they thought starting a Gaelic playing club would hurt them.

On January 3rd next year Green bay will have it's first Gaelic football practice at Synergy field in Ashwaubenon village, it is a state of the art facility and I train all my sawker students there all year round, so far 23 kids have signed up and paid the initial training fee so they are vested already, we are hoping to quadruple that number by then and I have games set up in Chicago in June, August & September of this year for two different age brackets.

It is not much but it is a start and it gives the Hurlers a chance to grow, after that they are on their own.

I will be buying the book in the hopes of picking up some pointers that will help me grow Green Bay Harps GFC!

Good luck with the book and fair play to you ye heathen amadan!  :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BennyHarp

I've been involved at all levels from schools and underage to senior club and county in Britain and have spent a year playing in San Fran myself so I'll be interested to read the book Eamonn. Congratulations on getting it published and I wish you great success with it.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

The gas themselves aren't happy with what they do.  Hence the constant rule changing and free license to the media to deride the games...how the hell can such a non confident body take these games further.

Oraisteach

I've nothing but the highest regard for you, Eamonn.  You've done tremendous work promoting Gaelic games, especially hurling.  I've watched and rewatched your hurling video and shown it to my high school classes (Irish Lit) in Cleveland and they were mesmerized.  I've also enjoyed your high-quality video highlights of the US college hurling championships.

Just read the intro to your book on Amazon—great stuff and disappointed when I was not able to read any more.  Also enjoyed reading about Davitt Park and Clann Eireann. Played there myself as a Cuchulainn back when Cuchulainn himself played midfield for Armagh. 
Remember, too, bringing a couple of hurling sticks and ball to the high school football field for a puck-around with a friend—drew a crowd of intrigued onlookers.  Wanted to have a go themselves.

Can't wait to get a hold of the book.

Vis-à-vis promoting the games overseas.  My own experience was probably unique.  Back in the 70's when I came here, I called the local club and got a real sense that I was being vetted.  When I confessed to being from Armagh, I got a "we'll be getting in touch with you."  Despite a number of subsequent calls from my end, no welcome was forthcoming.  And, though I was neither a Paddy Moriarty nor an Eddie Keher, both clubs could have used me.  I don't imagine most clubs have such a parochial outlook, especially these days.

Anyway, Eamonn, the best of luck with your new book.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 28, 2014, 10:40:23 AM
Jinxy, f**k off and leave Offaly alone!

You can see Daithi Regan in the background eating a mars bar at one stage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

I think this is a good development in Britain. It's difficult to facilitate the homegrown lads at times when an influx of Irish come over. This may give them something to aim for and keep them involved.

All Britain Homegrown Football Championship

In addition to the recent revamping of the All Britain Hurling Championship, the Provincial Council of Britain is delighted to announce the introduction of the All Britain Homegrown Football Championship.

The competition, to be confined to players who have come through the underage ranks within Britain, will be played in the Autumn, with the final featuring as part of a high profile double-header with All Britain Junior Club Football Final. The competition will, indeed, be played on a similiar format to the All Britain Junior club, with the winners of each County Championship progressing to play in a knockout series.

Speaking about the new addition to the fixture programme, Council Secretary Gary Kelly said "Player fall off between underage and adult ranks keeps coming up as an issue when I speak to the people about the development of our games, and it's something that all Counties are reporting. Britain sits in a unique position, compared to Ireland, whereby the majority of players playing at adult level come from having played underage in a different country. This is great for the GAA as a whole, as it means players who are forced to leave Ireland for work are not lost to the games, but it doesn't necessarily help underage development in Britain so much. Players coming through the ranks are finding it harder to progress to adult level, and it's something that needed to be addressed in order to secure the long term future of the games here"

The All Britain Competition goes into it's 3rd year in 2014, and with over 130 underage teams expected to take part in Greenford in July, there's no doubt that the numbers are there to support such a competition. "There's no doubt that the ABC has opened a lot of people eyes to the potential there is, and with the competition looking set to grow year on year, the time is right to set measures in place to ensure a long term benefit is reaped" Kelly added. "Clubs like Tir Chonaill Gaels in London have been very successful in establishing a homegrown team, and it just shows what can be done. I know some other clubs are looking at them and hope to follow the example, and we hope this competition will help the trend spread across the Province".

Indeed, the trend is spreading, and it's expected that there will be a Homegrown Football Championship in at least 5 Counties in 2014, and this should lead to a very exciting Provincial series.
That was never a square ball!!

Any craic

Ladies Football 'discovers' new fans in Hong Kong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4onE2wSqoE - See a St Patrick's Day report from Discovery Bay near Hong Kong as TG4 Ladies Gaelic Football All Stars visit schools to promote their game.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

armaghniac

Would yon boy Deenihan know anything about GAA at all at all.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2014, 06:22:10 PM
Would yon boy Deenihan know anything about GAA at all at all.

Jimmy?

Yerra nothin'.
MWWSI 2017