"It's time for the GAA to drop the national anthem"

Started by seafoid, September 21, 2016, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Hopefully the gaa Doesnt listen to clowns like this guy and he can always stay at home if he doesn't like it .

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Why are 2pm throw ins as part of double headers in Croke Park exempt from the anthem?

I'd be in favour of only having them for finals also.

muppet

Quote from: Gmac on September 23, 2016, 07:53:28 PM
Hopefully the gaa Doesnt listen to clowns like this guy and he can always stay at home if he doesn't like it .

Don't be so hard on yourself.
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on September 23, 2016, 08:18:30 PM
Why are 2pm throw ins as part of double headers in Croke Park exempt from the anthem?

I'd be in favour of only having them for finals also.

The 2nd game is always the main attraction on the bill....thus it attracts the pomp and ceremony.
The Aristocrat Years

Gmac

Quote from: muppet on September 23, 2016, 09:25:11 PM
Quote from: Gmac on September 23, 2016, 07:53:28 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself.
u can take a knee during it

orangeman

Phil Space - great name for a journalist.

I think Jarlath Burns and Paddy Heaney were saying something similar a few years ago, arguing that the soldier's song was a barrier to unionists playing Gaelic games and that it could / should be dispensed with which would hardly be good enough reason.

T Fearon

Surely the greatest deterrent to unionist involvement is the naming of grounds/competitions in honour of those who  they would perceive to be "terrorists" and the perception that the GAA is a strongly nationalist movement with a political dimension.

Rossfan

Unionists will always find something to object to.
Look at getting non Unionist or non political Protestants into the fold first.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: orangeman on September 24, 2016, 09:35:45 AM
Phil Space - great name for a journalist.

I think Jarlath Burns and Paddy Heaney were saying something similar a few years ago, arguing that the soldier's song was a barrier to unionists playing Gaelic games and that it could / should be dispensed with which would hardly be good enough reason.
the Unionists would have to come up.with something similar
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

I like the anthem. Play it before all games. The end of it builds up nicely to the pre-match roaring.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

All games??!!
Ballinameen v St Ronans u12 on a wet Tuesday in Croghan?
Twould be hard to hear the roarin  :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

LCohen

I wouldn't miss it.

Club games tend to use a knackered aul recording.

Armagh home games have a decent local singer leading the way but when on the road in the league or the qualifiers its normally a knackered, high pitched recording on a knackered sound/public address system. 

Hardy

If we drop the anthem, we'll have to replace it with something to get the roar going. Buggity-buggity-buggity!

LCohen

Quote from: Hardy on September 24, 2016, 02:22:38 PM
If we drop the anthem, we'll have to replace it with something to get the roar going. Buggity-buggity-buggity!

Less defensive football?