SEMI FINALS IN NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE LEAGUE WINNER BYE TO FINAL

Started by irish345, February 03, 2019, 11:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish345

I think this would be a better system than we have now give the league winner a bye to final and then 2nd v 3rd with 2nd getting home advantage maybe even the idea of giving the league winner home advantage too in the final or play at neutral .That would mean coming 1st would be significant i would do this in all the football divisions it would also mean less dead rubbers on last day and it would also mean your nearly always either playing to come in the top 3 or trying to avoid relegation. I know they use to have a 4 team playoff in division  i think this would be a compromise

Never beat the deeler

Good idea, even if it took me a while to figure it out.

So you are proposing the league winners go into the league final.
Second placed finisher plays third placed finisher for the chance to play them.

Like a condensed version of what they do in the AFL.

You could even do the same for the second- and third- last placed teams to fight it out for relegation.

I guess the problem would be that you are adding more games into a congested year. If we didnt have the so-called "Super-8" it might be easier to accommodate.
Hasta la victoria siempre

irish345

it would only be 1 extra game for a handful of teams maybe we could scrap the likes of the mckenna cup also if there is a rest week beetweeen then end of league and league final the 2nd and 3rd teams could play the the game on that week would also even more incentive to top the league as they would get a rest week

giveballaghback

A league is just that, a league, there should be no finals, top team wins.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 04, 2019, 01:55:33 AM
Good idea, even if it took me a while to figure it out.

So you are proposing the league winners go into the league final.
Second placed finisher plays third placed finisher for the chance to play them.

Like a condensed version of what they do in the AFL.

You could even do the same for the second- and third- last placed teams to fight it out for relegation.

I guess the problem would be that you are adding more games into a congested year. If we didnt have the so-called "Super-8" it might be easier to accommodate.
The championship season is shorter since the new system came in.

Quote from: giveballaghback on February 04, 2019, 11:30:35 PM
Agreed, but it's a long-time tradition in GAA that there has to be a final. No semi-finals was a step in the right direction but I think there will always be finals.

outinfront

There should be recognition for finishing top of Div1. I think in Rugby League (maybe?) there is a trophy for topping the league then one for winning the playoffs.  Personally I feel if you top a league you should win it, but as you say there will always be that 'showcase' final.

From the Bunker

Yes! Top team wins! No play-offs! No finals!

Anyway its just another home game final for the Dubs!

TheMaster

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 05, 2019, 01:17:59 PM

Have you a horn for the dubs?  :)  Every thread is Dublin this. It not healthy obbsessing.  Mayo have a lot of young players coming through.  Only for unlucky misses by Cillian Connors and red mist by Donal Vaughan mayo would be champions. Your day will come soon.

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheMaster on February 05, 2019, 02:45:25 PM

Have you a horn for the dubs?  :)  Every thread is Dublin this. It not healthy obbsessing.  Mayo have a lot of young players coming through.  Only for unlucky misses by Cillian Connors and red mist by Donal Vaughan mayo would be champions. Your day will come soon.

There has been nothing unlucky about Mayo's losses! We have never been ahead of Dublin since 2012 coming into the home straight. Cillians misses were when we were trying to play catch up. And if you think the only way we can win is a player getting sent off, then that says it all!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 05, 2019, 03:31:49 PM

There has been nothing unlucky about Mayo's losses! We have never been ahead of Dublin since 2012 coming into the home straight. Cillians misses were when we were trying to play catch up. And if you think the only way we can win is a player getting sent off, then that says it all!

We were 2 points up entering the final stretch in 2017, Cillian's last free was to push us ahead. Just saying.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2019, 03:34:09 PM

We were 2 points up entering the final stretch in 2017, Cillian's last free was to push us ahead. Just saying.

Think that was with with 10 minutes to go.  The game was in the balance going into the home stretch. Just saying.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2019, 03:34:09 PM

It was level entering the 70th minute, when COC hit the post, btw just to point out some of the points he got that day from play were sublime.

Farrandeelin

Yes it was level at the end of 70 mins. If 70 mins is the home stretch then I'm wrong. Anyway what's done is done at this stage.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2019, 10:27:32 PM
Yes it was level at the end of 70 mins. If 70 mins is the home stretch then I'm wrong. Anyway what's done is done at this stage.

They were not leading? There was 8 minutes played after that. There has been no moment like when we beat Dublin in 2012, where we had some sort of a lead to hold onto and closed out the deal. We are always even or playing catch-up. This is not a criticism. We push them to the limit. I can say hand on heart with that loss in 2017, there was not one player who did not burst a gut that day! We just did not have a strong subs bench like Dublin to call on. Theirs were better and that's why they won.