GAA Geansaí “Threatening” To Unionists

Started by screenexile, March 04, 2020, 01:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hound

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 05, 2020, 02:28:20 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 01:15:42 PM
I just got round to listening to Lowry on Talkback and I think there needs to be a distinction between a GAA top and an O'Neill's top.

Those proclamation tops that O'Neill's make have nothing to do with the GAA, just like the tractor ones, ploughing championship ones and all that other písh.

Do you have a link for this Johnny ?

No directly answering your question AC, but Eamon Dunphy had a good podcast interview with Lowry recently:

https://www.thestandwitheamondunphy.com/

Episode 652.

You have to get used to Dunphy's style which is to lick up to all his interviewees and agree with most of what they say, as his method of getting them to open up more.

In a following interview with Eamon McCann (Episode 655), Dunphy referenced Lowry being a bit too right wing for his liking  ;D

johnnycool

I just got round to listening to Lowry on Talkback and I think there needs to be a distinction between a GAA top and an O'Neill's top.

Those proclamation tops that O'Neill's make have nothing to do with the GAA, just like the tractor ones, ploughing championship ones and all that other písh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fw88

about 1 hour and 10 in.

Lowry was really clutching at straws..

johnnycool

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 05, 2020, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 10:48:02 AM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 05, 2020, 08:09:34 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 04, 2020, 04:17:53 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 04, 2020, 04:10:38 PM
In the interests of balance.

If a person from a nationalist background was in a part of Belfast and finds themselves surrounded by Rangers tops, Linfield tops, and NI tops, I'd expect they'd feel somewhat outnumbered, isolated, unwelcome and perhaps intimidated if alcohol or buoyant behaviour was involved.

How many of these tops have to be on display for someone to feel surrounded is a different matter. But it's still a very natural feeling in such circumstances.

I worked in those surroundings in a factory in Monkstown for years along with a sizeable amount of nationalist colleagues and not one shit was given for my feelings and with the name I have it was only too obvious what my background was.

Wear your GAA tops if you want but don't be a c**k and antagonise those wearing poppies or whatever else..

The good ship Nortel - underworked and overpaid. No wonder it went to the wall, unfortunately.

It was indeed.. but alas the reasons outlined whilst not untrue was not the reason it went under. The reasons for that would make the executives of Enron look like saints.

The lads and lassies from the "cooler" initially struggled to take instruction from lads who talked about gaelic football and hurling at lunchtimes and funny names with funny spelling but they soon got used to it.

Would have been a lot more Gah chat in NITEC which would have been referred to as The Vatican by the locals. 

Plenty of Rangers (IL), and Linfield tops as well as the paramilitary tattoos on display.

I take it you went on one or two of the GAA trips to Galway??

The test jig screen savers and all were rangers screen savers, I kid you not.

I went on the one where there was a hurling team as well and an eejit from Dessertmartin (who never hurled worth a f**k in his life) had the kitbag on the shop floor with the end of a hurl hanging out of it. My boss at the time was an old lad from Larne and he came into the office disgusted by it, looks at me and says "you're probably going as well, aren't you?, f**k I remember the time when we used to close up for the 12th and everyone in a band would have brought their instruments in and we marched up and down the shop floor pissed as farts."
I nodded to him and told him to "get used to it big man".

Rare place.

Eamonnca1

Did anybody here ever work for FG Wilson? I had a spell in their drawing office in Lurgan where they built the double deck trailers in the old Goodyear factory. It was a small office of about a dozen people and I was one of three fenians in it. Everybody would sit at the same table in the break room, and we'd talk about the Ulster championship on a Monday morning, talking about teams like Donegal and Monaghan. The older gents at the other end of the table would start shifting uncomfortably in their seats until one of them would pipe up "Did you see the rugby?"

Other times they'd come in and say, their finest Anglo-Aaaghrish egg-scent, "Did you hear the good news? England are a hundred and sixty four for five!"

This was a firm in which the top brass would drive Mercedes cars longer than Transit vans and play polo at weekends. They went out of business eventually.

Edit to add: They were actually a good crowd to work for, and I learned a lot from them. And they were always nice to me despite my youth at the time. It was just funny seeing them interact with fenians.

Main Street

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 04:03:17 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fw88

about 1 hour and 10 in.

Lowry was really clutching at straws..
I think the presenter dealt well with that segment of  debate, he had a professional air of restrained incredulity.
Are there any morsels of evidence to support Ben's claim that there's a widespread perception that Queens is a cold place for the sensitive Unionist?
I suspect his use of the word "widespread" is a tad hysterical.
The Alliance councilor who was a student at Queens in 1990s  said his experience was one of inclusiveness.
A current student claimed the GAA tops were not an issue, but not kosher when they displayed a political symbol eg the proclamation or the tricolour, he also said that there were plenty of IFA tops.

tonto1888

Quote from: johnnycool on March 04, 2020, 04:12:38 PM
Quote from: Taylor on March 04, 2020, 04:04:13 PM
Running about with bottles of wine in a bar  ::)

Lurganites.................

Must be from the vatican city area of Lurgan as it's not buckfast, snob.

As someone who grew up in the Vatican I can tell ye we love our buckfast. None of that white wine muck

JimStynes

Quote from: Angelo on March 05, 2020, 09:40:44 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 05, 2020, 07:19:44 AM
Ridiculous. No one puts on their club jumper or half zip and thinks, 'ooh this is really going to wind themmuns up in class today'.  It's great to see young ones running around in their club gear when you think back to not being able to wear any GAA tops for fear of getting the shit kicked out of you. I would have thought it was a sign of a more progressive society. Some people don't seem to want that though. 

At the same time, the GAA have to admit how some things would seem if it was the other way around. If there was a crowd of fellas running about in Battle of the Boyne commemorative jerseys, clubs named after UVF and LVF men, singing Up the Ra songs etc. We know it's not the same thing but the other side don't see if that way. Sometimes we don't help ourselves either.

The GAA is a nationalist organisation.

And?

thewobbler

Not so much in the interests of balance this time. Just an observation.

I'd expect that a hefty percentage of nationalists who think along the lines of "there's nothing threatening about GAA tops, them unionists are paranoid and insecure" are also the same people who would cross the road to get offended by people wearing poppies in November.

armaghniac

Poppies have to do with war, the GAA has to do with sport Therein lies the difference.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2020, 11:07:18 PM
Not so much in the interests of balance this time. Just an observation.

I'd expect that a hefty percentage of nationalists who think along the lines of "there's nothing threatening about GAA tops, them unionists are paranoid and insecure" are also the same people who would cross the road to get offended by people wearing poppies in November.

Poppies don't bother me, personally. Shaming people for refusing to wear them? That I have a problem with. It should be up to the individual if they want to partake in that sort of thing.

Eire90

Most gaa tops have ridiculous sponsors anyway look at the tyrone hunky dory shirt.The 1916 shirt looks good from the from but too much writing on the back.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 04:13:49 PM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 05, 2020, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 10:48:02 AM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 05, 2020, 08:09:34 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 04, 2020, 04:17:53 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 04, 2020, 04:10:38 PM
In the interests of balance.

If a person from a nationalist background was in a part of Belfast and finds themselves surrounded by Rangers tops, Linfield tops, and NI tops, I'd expect they'd feel somewhat outnumbered, isolated, unwelcome and perhaps intimidated if alcohol or buoyant behaviour was involved.

How many of these tops have to be on display for someone to feel surrounded is a different matter. But it's still a very natural feeling in such circumstances.

I worked in those surroundings in a factory in Monkstown for years along with a sizeable amount of nationalist colleagues and not one shit was given for my feelings and with the name I have it was only too obvious what my background was.

Wear your GAA tops if you want but don't be a c**k and antagonise those wearing poppies or whatever else..

The good ship Nortel - underworked and overpaid. No wonder it went to the wall, unfortunately.

It was indeed.. but alas the reasons outlined whilst not untrue was not the reason it went under. The reasons for that would make the executives of Enron look like saints.

The lads and lassies from the "cooler" initially struggled to take instruction from lads who talked about gaelic football and hurling at lunchtimes and funny names with funny spelling but they soon got used to it.

Would have been a lot more Gah chat in NITEC which would have been referred to as The Vatican by the locals. 

Plenty of Rangers (IL), and Linfield tops as well as the paramilitary tattoos on display.

I take it you went on one or two of the GAA trips to Galway??

The test jig screen savers and all were rangers screen savers, I kid you not.

I went on the one where there was a hurling team as well and an eejit from Dessertmartin (who never hurled worth a f**k in his life) had the kitbag on the shop floor with the end of a hurl hanging out of it. My boss at the time was an old lad from Larne and he came into the office disgusted by it, looks at me and says "you're probably going as well, aren't you?, f**k I remember the time when we used to close up for the 12th and everyone in a band would have brought their instruments in and we marched up and down the shop floor pissed as farts."
I nodded to him and told him to "get used to it big man".

Rare place.

The boul PK I believe who dragged the brother along with him.

The minibus was driven by a former Dunloy stalwart if memory serves me right.