GAA Geansaí “Threatening” To Unionists

Started by screenexile, March 04, 2020, 01:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on March 04, 2020, 04:04:13 PM
Running about with bottles of wine in a bar  ::)

Lurganites.................

Must be from the vatican city area of Lurgan as it's not buckfast, snob.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on March 04, 2020, 04:10:38 PM
In the interests of balance.

If a person from a nationalist background was in a part of Belfast and finds themselves surrounded by Rangers tops, Linfield tops, and NI tops, I'd expect they'd feel somewhat outnumbered, isolated, unwelcome and perhaps intimidated if alcohol or buoyant behaviour was involved.

How many of these tops have to be on display for someone to feel surrounded is a different matter. But it's still a very natural feeling in such circumstances.

I worked in those surroundings in a factory in Monkstown for years along with a sizeable amount of nationalist colleagues and not one shit was given for my feelings and with the name I have it was only too obvious what my background was.

Wear your GAA tops if you want but don't be a c**k and antagonise those wearing poppies or whatever else..

general_lee

Queens released a statement in response to this and said something along the lines that their student base was largely representative of society in general in NI. The reality is a sizeable chunk of students from a culturally unionist/Protestant background go to GB to study while a majority of those from a catholic/nationalist background go to universities here. So seeing a pile of GAA jerseys around campus isn't to annoy to antagonise anyone, not in my view anyway. It reflects badly on our society that unionists are so afraid of the GAA, but a lot of it IMO is their own ingrained sectarianism coming to the fore. The GAA is made up of people from all shades of nationalism and republicanism, as well as people who don't care and even a few unionists. The way some unionists go on, we all turn into IRA volunteers when we put on an item of GAA clothing.

imtommygunn

It's a deep rooted insecurity by some and also being used to shit stir by Lowry / Nolan and the likes.

I would be very surprised if the majority of the people wearing the jersies were doing it to antagonise unionists. They may be doing it to slightly stir up things with people from rival counties yes but if you grow up wearing GAA jersies etc round the place then suddenly you go to Queens should you stop wearing them? Absolutely not - load of nonsense.

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on March 04, 2020, 01:09:05 AM
Listened to that absolute clampit horrible excuse for a journalist Ben Lowry talk about how QUB ... named after the Queen with a British War memorial and a hall named after a UUP politician and a Tory... is now a supposed cold house for Unionists because them bloody Catholics are wearing their GAA jerseys.

It would be laughable if it wasn't true!! f**k me!!

Maybe... and I mean MAYBE the 1916 commemoration jersey could be an issue but seriously they need to wise the f**k up.

Obvs Nolan is stirring this particular pot as per usual!!
I take it that Nolan understood and perhaps shared Lowry's bigoted sentiment, therefore he never asked why Lowry was offended?

Though outside a matchday, I don't get the wearing the sports jersey thing, i.e. for those over 14 or so years old.

Eamonnca1

If a person from a nationalist background was in a part of Belfast and finds themselves surrounded by Rangers tops, Linfield tops, and NI tops, I'd expect they'd feel somewhat outnumbered, isolated, unwelcome and perhaps intimidated if alcohol or buoyant behaviour was involved.

How many of these tops have to be on display for someone to feel surrounded is a different matter. But it's still a very natural feeling in such circumstances.

Clubs like Celtic, Rangers, and Linfield are a bit of a special case. If a nationalist were in a bar and were surrounded by Liverpool, Sunderland, or Man Utd. tops he'd probably pass no remarks.

red hander

Wonder if gentle Ben would be interested in talking about why he was asked to leave the Belfast Telegraph many years back before finding his natural home in the bigoted rag that is the News Letter (granted, the Tele has now caught up with it in those stakes).

JimStynes

Ridiculous. No one puts on their club jumper or half zip and thinks, 'ooh this is really going to wind themmuns up in class today'.  It's great to see young ones running around in their club gear when you think back to not being able to wear any GAA tops for fear of getting the shit kicked out of you. I would have thought it was a sign of a more progressive society. Some people don't seem to want that though. 

At the same time, the GAA have to admit how some things would seem if it was the other way around. If there was a crowd of fellas running about in Battle of the Boyne commemorative jerseys, clubs named after UVF and LVF men, singing Up the Ra songs etc. We know it's not the same thing but the other side don't see if that way. Sometimes we don't help ourselves either.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: johnnycool on March 04, 2020, 04:17:53 PM

I worked in those surroundings in a factory in Monkstown for years along with a sizeable amount of nationalist colleagues and not one shit was given for my feelings and with the name I have it was only too obvious what my background was.

Wear your GAA tops if you want but don't be a c**k and antagonise those wearing poppies or whatever else..

The good ship Nortel - underworked and overpaid. No wonder it went to the wall, unfortunately.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on March 05, 2020, 07:19:44 AM
Ridiculous. No one puts on their club jumper or half zip and thinks, 'ooh this is really going to wind themmuns up in class today'.  It's great to see young ones running around in their club gear when you think back to not being able to wear any GAA tops for fear of getting the shit kicked out of you. I would have thought it was a sign of a more progressive society. Some people don't seem to want that though. 

At the same time, the GAA have to admit how some things would seem if it was the other way around. If there was a crowd of fellas running about in Battle of the Boyne commemorative jerseys, clubs named after UVF and LVF men, singing Up the Ra songs etc. We know it's not the same thing but the other side don't see if that way. Sometimes we don't help ourselves either.

The GAA is a nationalist organisation.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Keyser soze

Ben is just espousing a posh voiced version of 'The GAA is the IRA at play' which is similarly one step removed from 'ATAT'.

These feelings are widespread amongst the unionist community.

johnnycool

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 05, 2020, 08:09:34 AM

The good ship Nortel - underworked and overpaid. No wonder it went to the wall, unfortunately.

It was indeed.. but alas the reasons outlined whilst not untrue was not the reason it went under. The reasons for that would make the executives of Enron look like saints.

The lads and lassies from the "cooler" initially struggled to take instruction from lads who talked about gaelic football and hurling at lunchtimes and funny names with funny spelling but they soon got used to it.

johnnycool

I just got round to listening to Lowry on Talkback and I think there needs to be a distinction between a GAA top and an O'Neill's top.

Those proclamation tops that O'Neill's make have nothing to do with the GAA, just like the tractor ones, ploughing championship ones and all that other písh.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 01:15:42 PM
I just got round to listening to Lowry on Talkback and I think there needs to be a distinction between a GAA top and an O'Neill's top.

Those proclamation tops that O'Neill's make have nothing to do with the GAA, just like the tractor ones, ploughing championship ones and all that other písh.

Do you have a link for this Johnny ?

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 10:48:02 AM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 05, 2020, 08:09:34 AM

It was indeed.. but alas the reasons outlined whilst not untrue was not the reason it went under. The reasons for that would make the executives of Enron look like saints.

The lads and lassies from the "cooler" initially struggled to take instruction from lads who talked about gaelic football and hurling at lunchtimes and funny names with funny spelling but they soon got used to it.

Would have been a lot more Gah chat in NITEC which would have been referred to as The Vatican by the locals. 

Plenty of Rangers (IL), and Linfield tops as well as the paramilitary tattoos on display.

I take it you went on one or two of the GAA trips to Galway??