#newbridgeornowhere

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 21, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
Johnny Doyle?

Kildare only got as far as the Q/F and JD by his standards, took an early knock admittedly, was quite poor.
#newbridgeornowhere

J70

Lacey. Supremely gifted footballer. Superb in every game until his injury against Dublin. Already one of the elite cornerbacks, he excelled at centre back and was vital to Donegal's attacking game, even laying off the pass to McFadden for the vital first goal against Tyrone after a typical charge up the field, and in the last minute of extra time against Kildare, making a key interception on his own 14 yard line before ending up on the edge of the Kildare square 30 seconds later, making himself available as Cassidy hit the winner. No coincidence that Donegal's attacking was non-existent from when he went off after half-time in the semi.

ross matt

Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2011, 03:54:11 PM
Lacey. Supremely gifted footballer. Superb in every game until his injury against Dublin. Already one of the elite cornerbacks, he excelled at centre back and was vital to Donegal's attacking game, even laying off the pass to McFadden for the vital first goal against Tyrone after a typical charge up the field, and in the last minute of extra time against Kildare, making a key interception on his own 14 yard line before ending up on the edge of the Kildare square 30 seconds later, making himself available as Cassidy hit the winner. No coincidence that Donegal's attacking was non-existent from when he went off after half-time in the semi.

:o :o :o

RedandGreenSniper

I know a Kerry man who had Darran O'Sullivan at the start of the year for Footballer of the Year. He got him at 66s and stuck €50 on him. With seven minutes to go last Sunday, I'd say he was counting his €3,300!
O'Sullivan might just sneak it yet but I think Alan Brogan will get it. Phenomenal in Leinster, very good v Tyrone and while he didn't set the world alight in the last two games, he produced very consistent performances too.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Declan

deiseach

Do they all post on here?

I'll get my coat...

J70

Quote from: Declan on September 21, 2011, 04:19:13 PM
Alan Brogan by a country mile

How so?

I accept that he is a leading contender and, being from the winning team, will probably win the official award, but on what basis is he a "country mile" ahead of all other contenders?

Declan

Because he's a Dub  :D
I just think that his performances in the national league right through the championship were the model of consistency and I can't think of a game where he wasn't one of Dublin's better performers. His attitude is top class, he never really gets involved with any crap on the pitch, he has matured greatly over the last couple of years in terms of his shot selection etc.
Even on Sunday he got our first two points was involved in the most important score - the goal - and generally was top class. I'm sure the others had good years but I thought Lacey was average in the semi before he went off.

Did I say because he was a Dub and because the media want himt to get it ;)

muppet

Lacey wasn't even the best CHB in the semis, Vaughan was. And as for Lacey's attacking game, Vaughan scored 3 points against Kerry.

That's not just because I am form Mayo, I didn't vote for Andy, I voted for Alan Brogan and I hope he wins it.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Judging the bookie odds it looks like Alan Brogan is going to get footballer of the year so i must be missing something? for the record i voted Lacey.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Denn Forever

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 21, 2011, 03:41:28 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on September 21, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
Johnny Doyle?

Kildare only got as far as the Q/F and JD by his standards, took an early knock admittedly, was quite poor.

The question as I took it was GAA Board Footballer of the Year.

Doyle was instrumental in getting Kildare to the Q/F and if we are being unkind all those others were the beneficiaries of being in very good teams. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

Quote from: Declan on September 21, 2011, 04:29:26 PM
Because he's a Dub  :D
I just think that his performances in the national league right through the championship were the model of consistency and I can't think of a game where he wasn't one of Dublin's better performers. His attitude is top class, he never really gets involved with any crap on the pitch, he has matured greatly over the last couple of years in terms of his shot selection etc.
Even on Sunday he got our first two points was involved in the most important score - the goal - and generally was top class. I'm sure the others had good years but I thought Lacey was average in the semi before he went off.

Did I say because he was a Dub and because the media want himt to get it ;)

At least you're honest! :)

And on the semi, if you're going to dismiss Lacey's performance, how does Brogan's quiet afternoon factor in to your analysis?

J70

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2011, 04:31:19 PM
Lacey wasn't even the best CHB in the semis, Vaughan was. And as for Lacey's attacking game, Vaughan scored 3 points against Kerry.

That's not just because I am form Mayo, I didn't vote for Andy, I voted for Alan Brogan and I hope he wins it.

Lacey was injured in the first half of the semi final before finally giving in early in the second.

If you think Vaughan was more deserving of consideration than Lacey over the season, then advocate for him.