Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermPundit

Things have gone a bit quiet with regards the Fermanagh squad. I haven't heard a whole pile although they're still training away up in Lissan. Marty McGrath will be a big loss for the rest of the season. I suspect McBarron and James Sherry will form the midfield partnership in our qualifier game with Womble sitting on the edge of the square. I wonder who we'll get in the draw this weekend? Knowing our luck it'll be one of the big guns although with the new rules with regards the tommy murphy cup there are no easy teams in the draw this year!!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

No them days are gone, thought he might try Owens out there you'd never know, though I'd be happy with two of Womble, McBarron and Sherry. Probably the first two with Sherry at chf

tintin25

Aye, I'd defo have Sherry/McBarron in Midfield and Murphy in at FF. Gonna be tough whoever we get. We just don't have any scoring forwards and don't seem to have unearthed any either. Bradley shouldn't start, he was poor the last day out and doesn't appear to be anywhere fit for Inter-County. Expected so much more outta him having seen him play in Macrory and in Ulster Club campaigns with the Gaels but he's gone downhill.

FermPundit

Yeah Bradley's form has dipped over the last few seasons. Although he isn't old he has played constant football for the last 10-15 years and I reckon he's burnt out. He has lost a yard of pace which was his main weapon. On his day he was one of the best forwards in Ulster. We are really struggling for forwards. Is there anyone in the county who could do a job for Fermanagh but haven't been given a go at senior level? John Carrigan has been performing well for Belcoo this year. Seamus Quigley is a seriously good footballer but I'm not sure if the motivation is there to play for the county. James Connolly and Brendy McBrien are the main forward men for Newtown but both are lacking in height.

ExiledGael

Quigley is an outstanding talent but I'm afraid will never be a county player, absolutely no dedication and no respect... for anything!
McBrien is quick alright but had a chance a few years back and seemed to hide in games, or couldn't get into them, either way he missed that boat.
Is Stevie Maguire finished for good or what?

tintin25

Can't see Maguire togging out again for County. He pulled out over a year ago as he was planning for his wedding etc. Think he's concentrating on club football now plus he isn't getting any younger. Always heard talk of that Quigley lad but never seen him play....was/is he as good as people were saying? If so, then I guess we could have done with him but if boys don't wanna play then what can ya do. Hard to see where we're going as a County...nice team but just not good enough to push for provincial honours. Defo need to unearth a few scoring forwards. Very impressed with our defense the last day against Tyrone, especially Lyons from Belleek. Good old championship starts tonight with the 'self appointed' Best derby game in Fermanagh between Kinawley and Derrylin!  ;D

ExiledGael

Quigley is one of those types of forwards, any time I seen him he was getting 7/8 points a game, big enough lad too.
But he never quite had the dedication, walked out on minors last year, then turned up on the day, and came on and scored three points.
No chance he will be a county player, unless the years settle him down

KIDDO

Lisnaskea  defeated Devenish 2.6. to 1.7  tonight in Irvinestown, in the first round of the Fermanagh senior championship , with Mark Little notching 1.1 in the second half for the winners , who scored their match winning goal in the 5th minute of  injury time , in a tie which saw Devenish lead 4 to 3 at half time.

FermPundit

poor game of football tonight in Irvinestown tonight. It wasn't helped by the weather though. Devenish will feel sick to be beaten by such a late goal and they at least deserved a draw. Lisnaskea were extremely poor. I can't see them making any impression in the championship this year.

FermPundit

Enniskillen Gaels defeated Irvinestown in Tempo tonight in the Fermanagh senior championship. Final score 0-11 to 0-6. The sides were level on 5 points a piece at half time however the introduction of Ryan McCluskey and the greater experience of the Enniskillen side saw them safely through to the last 8 of the competition. Man of the match was Enniskillen's Ronan McCabe.

In the earlier tie played at Teemore Newtownbutler defeated Division one high flyers Belcoo on a final scoreline of 3-11 to 1-07.

ExiledGael

I heard Barry Owens had to be taken off early for Teemore with an ankle injury, any word on his condition??
Huge blow with likely game against Wexford to come if it's bad, him and Mattie Forde could have quite a battle

FermPundit

I'm not too sure about the exent of Barry Owens' injury but hopefully it isn't too bad. I'm happy enough with the qualifier draw. We could have got harder games than Laois/Wexford. I think everyone is expecting Laois to beat Wexford. I wouldn't just rule out a Wexford victory. They're a decent good enough when they get going. I read in the Irish News today that Fermanagh are exploring the possibility of hosting the qualifier game at a venue within the county. I can't see this happening as I don't think any of our grounds meet health and safety regulations.

ExiledGael

Apparently the county board want the game in Lisnaskea, can't see it happening though. They must be pissed off with Clones.
Not the worst draw, especially as the loser will only have 6/7 days recovery before facing us

FermPundit

The match couldn't be in skea as there's no toilets and no parking. Two pretty big requirements for an intercounty game. I'd be happy enough if the venue was Clones. We didn't play well there in the league but this is the championship and we've had some decent victories there over the years. It is an advantage that Wexford/Laois only have one week to prepare. I just hope the boys can make the most of it and put in a decent performance next weekend.

ExiledGael

Can't see it alright, there are toilets but literally about four!