Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

They are quite boring, a lot of recycling and then a burst.

There was one bit of play in the first half, which was a bit different where O Callaghan went for goal when it wasn't really on. He could have fisted it over or passed it across.

Connolly played more off the cuff.  The firs couple of All Irelands Dublin won ,was a more attractive style. Then it became more possession based when  Donegal beat them in 2014.

Don't think Bugler will be as good a half forward as Paul Flynn or Connolly

marty34

I see The Sunday Game gave 2 slots to Cavan players on their Team of the Year - Galligan and Tom the Tank.

rodney trotter

Colm O Rourke has 4 Cavan players in his column in Sunday Indo. Faulkner, Ciaran Brady, Thomas Galligan and Gearoid Mckiernan.  He went for Cluxton in goals

Look-Up!

Quote from: marty34 on December 20, 2020, 01:44:01 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 20, 2020, 01:34:13 PM
What were people's thoughts on the match yesterday?

Although Mayo put in a great performance I found the game boring enough and always felt the result inevitable. Dublin never hit the heights and although the westerners never let them take off I felt they were comfortable enough and there was another gear there if needed. Once the substitutions came on for both teams after the 50/60 min mark or so Mayo fell flat and Dublin kicked on.

Dublin are a great team and have been given all the plaudits. Pundits have lauded them as great ambassadors and playing the game the way it should be played etc. That was true up to a few years ago but now I just find them incredibly boring. For all their talents they take zero risks. Against an opponent who may bear some teeth it's death by a thousand cuts. Everything is controlled, recycle and wait for the high percentage option. Even the younger lads like COC who lit up games when they first came on the scene have morphed into the stereotypical Dublin footballer. Their U20s were beaten yesterday but they will get plenty more top seniors out of that group.

Can't see them going away anywhere. For all the flak that Meath and Kildare get, thank God we're not in Leinster is all I'll say.

But that's what it's all about - they are that good, they are boring.

They play the game in the correct manner, the shooter in the best position always gets the ball and they have a fantastic skills set.
What exactly is that though? If your defenders are better than your forwards then a defensive style would be the correct manner for you. Never stopped the criticisms from media on other teams on conservative styles of play, no sense of adventure, playing the percentages etc. TBH I'd rather watch a 6 score slugfest in half a foot of muck than watch them.
They have all the ingredients any manager could dare to dream for and they are boring as hell. For all the good guy façade about them in the media, the feigning injuries, diving and rolling about on the ground and cynical fouls going completely unpunished is actually starting to make them very unlikable.

Look-Up!

Quote from: marty34 on December 20, 2020, 02:12:49 PM
I see The Sunday Game gave 2 slots to Cavan players on their Team of the Year - Galligan and Tom the Tank.
Saw that. Fair play to them. Faulkner and Brady with honourable mentions. Hopefully some of them get an AS.

Cavan19

We are not going to be the 2nd tier competition for 2021 which is a positive. Hopefully we can get back to Division 2 also.

Itchy

Quote from: Cavan19 on December 21, 2020, 06:46:19 PM
We are not going to be the 2nd tier competition for 2021 which is a positive. Hopefully we can get back to Division 2 also.

Why do you say that? Don't we need to get promoted or make Ulster Final.

I think we will get 3 All stars. Ray Galligan is a cert, Thomas Galligan and then either Holla or Faulkner.

Look-Up!

We're Ulster champions so as things stand we don't have to play Tier 2 regardless of our league position.
I don't understand promotion relegation. I assume semis will be top v 2nd from each section. Promotion is 2 finalists?

rodney trotter

The Tailtean Cup starts next year so winning this year's Ulster has no bearing on it.
Cavan will have to either get promoted from Division 3 or win Ulster.

Its the 2 League finalists who are promoted.

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 21, 2020, 08:11:41 PM
The Tailtean Cup starts next year so winning this year's Ulster has no bearing on it.
Cavan will have to either get promoted from Division 3 or win Ulster.

Its the 2 League finalists who are promoted.

"Recommended that Provincial Champions from the previous year – regardless of whether they are Division 3 or 4 Counties or not – are automatically included in Sam Maguire Qualifiers even if they do not qualify for their provincial final in 2021"

From GAA website

rodney trotter

Least that doesn't put as much pressure on the league. But they'll want to get promoted from Division 3. The shorter format with it divided by region based, means can't afford any slip up like against Clare this year.
Derry, Longford and Fermanagh will be dogged teams.

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 21, 2020, 09:38:48 PM
Least that doesn't put as much pressure on the league. But they'll want to get promoted from Division 3. The shorter format with it divided by region based, means can't afford any slip up like against Clare this year.
Derry, Longford and Fermanagh will be dogged teams.
Yes tougher section I'd say. Tipp will be quite happy. They should finish top of their section.

Itchy

Congratulations to Raymond, Thomas and Padraig on their All Star awards. Hard to believe this is where 2020 ended up.

Itchy

Any word on who is on the panel now that there's a date to get started again. I see from twitter McVetty is still in Oz, looks like we may not see him in blue again which is a terrible shame. What about Moynagh? We've a great panel to build on from last year, hopefully with a few additions and a couple of young lads coming in we can keep it nice and fresh and get going again this year.