Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: Bingo on April 23, 2015, 09:53:09 AM
Looks very likely that we are getting our own Parkrun in Castleblayney. 90% of the way to getting all in place and provisional date agreed for June start. Decent course of two laps of the local forest park with a couple of hills thrown in to keep everyone honest! Be great to have on own doorstep.

No runs since last Friday. Had been targeting two races last Saturday and last night, two fast runs a 5k and 10k. Done a very light 5km Friday evening to shake out the legs and woke up Saturday not feeling the best, as day went on the 5km was out the window and I felt like crap.

Haven't had energy to do much Sunday or Monday, so waved goodbye to last night as well. Will get back out tomorrow evening. Rest might do no harm, had a few niggles that were hard to shake off but my god, my head isn't right from missing a few days and in particular a few races that I had looked forward to.

So if anyone knows any decent 10km's in the north east, let me know.

Is Banbridge to far away for you? 10k in three weeks time.  21 may. A wed evening. Tough course plenty of hills.

Milltown Row2

Took my youngest to the Waterworks parkrun.. Still so busy and course changed a but managed to get daughter round in under 30 minutes.... She wasn't happy lol, but she just beat her mum so bragging rights in house
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2015, 02:05:20 PM
Took my youngest to the Waterworks parkrun.. Still so busy and course changed a but managed to get daughter round in under 30 minutes.... She wasn't happy lol, but she just beat her mum so bragging rights in house
Fair play MR. It's great to see families and younger runners out! I'm looking forward to my eldest being old enough to drag along! Numbers at the Waterworks are looking really healthy. I'm still running the DUB when I can. There's been a steady increase in numbers there as well and there are groups of 100+ fairly often - even at the moment when a lot of regulars are away at races of one distance or another. Great to see the park runs going from strength to strenght.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

London Marathon was another success, might be the only one I'd do if I were to do one.... fair play to all involved, couple of friends done it today and they loved it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heffo

Have committed to doing the Dublin marathon - need to get finger in gear now.

naka

Newry has a marathon, half marathon and a 10k on same day
I normally do the half marathon normally a good session afterwards
It's on Sunday 24 May
Bank holiday in 6 counties the next day

muppet

Quote from: heffo on April 27, 2015, 08:43:31 PM

Good man.

What sort of distance/times are you doing at the moment?

Having had a disastrous few months, I am back on the road again. I did 37km in total last week, very slowly mind.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on April 28, 2015, 12:50:13 AM

Good man.

Having had a disastrous few months, I am back on the road again. I did 37km in total last week, very slowly mind.

Doing 10kish once or twice a week - swimming and cycling too - am doing some triathalons too.

Will do the next 10 mile coming up and then a half marathon after that

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heffo on April 28, 2015, 08:21:02 AM

Good man.

Doing 10kish once or twice a week - swimming and cycling too - am doing some triathalons too.

What tri's have you entered?

heffo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2015, 08:27:13 AM
Quote from: heffo on April 28, 2015, 08:21:02 AM

Good man.

What tri's have you entered?

Dungarvan, Dunmore East, Athlone & Dublin City along with some small duathalons

BenDover

how accessible will it be to get into Belfast on Monday? Thinking about taking the OH and the kids down to cheer on the runners. What time would we need to be town for and where are the best viewing points? Still kinda hoping one of the relay teams in work asks for a sub to step in - always enjoy running a leg in this marathon.

Rois

They do very well at keeping most of the roads open apart from the actual route.

I might be a bit biased but I think a great place to watch the runners is on the Antrim Road - lots of space for you to stand, kids getting High 5s from runners, and they really appreciate the support at that stage of the run.  I had a Tyrone jacket on last year watching from there (near Lansdowne Hotel), and even got a few shouts of "C'mon Tyrone" from the runners themselves. 

This year I'm planning to go to Dargan Road to see a colleague who is running the fourth leg, just where they come up from the shore path. 

ballinaman

Fair play Heffo. First step is committing to it! Sounds like you have good base already with the tri training.

Went down to watch the London marathon last Sunday at 14 mile/ 22 mile mark....passes the same segment going to and from canary wharf.

Elites were unreal to see up close, cruising. Ridiculous speed. Massive group of lads hanging onto Paula Radcliffe too trying to get as much support from the crowd by tagging onto her! Got awful pangs of envy standing there watching, some buzz.

Some hero this chap was, fastest marathon dressed as a leprechaun 2.59.30!

Met a lad walking down the stairs to the tube yesterday like John Wayne....just said "Marathon?" to him and he said ya and started laughing. ;D

imtommygunn

If you've kids then ormeau park would be a great place to watch it. There are loads of people at finish line and loads handing out various freebies which I'm sure kids would love. In terms of accessibility there are side streets you could park down though they will be pretty busy as loads of relay runners will park there. I would nearly suggest parking in somewhere like stranmillis and dandering over. Even maybe rosetta.

You can watch an earlier bit on the ormeau road then go into the park by the ozone later when the masses finish. It's usually what I do if not participating though not sure I can be bothered with it this year.

Alternatives are antrim road and city centre though both will be earlier and not last as long. The ormeau road area will have people coming through from about 11 onwards up to early to mid afternoon. There is always a good atmosphere by the ozone at the end.

A boy in the club has the world record for being dressed as a zombie at 3:15 or so BM lol. Has the certificate and all. London was great viewing - would nearly make me want to do one! That fella Martelleti(spelling?) did London in a spiderman suit in 2:17! Madness.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2015, 10:54:45 AM
If you've kids then ormeau park would be a great place to watch it. There are loads of people at finish line and loads handing out various freebies which I'm sure kids would love. In terms of accessibility there are side streets you could park down though they will be pretty busy as loads of relay runners will park there. I would nearly suggest parking in somewhere like stranmillis and dandering over. Even maybe rosetta.

You can watch an earlier bit on the ormeau road then go into the park by the ozone later when the masses finish. It's usually what I do if not participating though not sure I can be bothered with it this year.

Alternatives are antrim road and city centre though both will be earlier and not last as long. The ormeau road area will have people coming through from about 11 onwards up to early to mid afternoon. There is always a good atmosphere by the ozone at the end.

A boy in the club has the world record for being dressed as a zombie at 3:15 or so BM lol. Has the certificate and all. London was great viewing - would nearly make me want to do one! That fella Martelleti(spelling?) did London in a spiderman suit in 2:17! Madness.
Ya, Paul Martelleti did it in 2.30. He won Manchester marathon the weekend before in 2.17, beating Eoin O'Callaghan of Star of the Sea athletic club into 2nd!
Martelleti is a kiwi ultra marathon runner who's moved over to London a few years ago. He's rocked up to a few parkruns I've done and knocked out sub 15 without breaking sweat. He won the one on Saturday in 16.44 as practice for the marathon the next day in the spiderman suit! 1st time he ran in it!