You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: Orior on July 22, 2011, 12:52:36 PM
People who use the term "Early Doors"

Never heard that one before. When would it be used?
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Quote from: ziggysego on July 22, 2011, 03:38:59 PM

Ron Atkinson used to use it a lot. Used to have soccer connotations, but I think it's sort of morphed into Lahdahn speak for 'Early'. Which is nice.

'He's decided to take the man on early doors, and the big lad's gotten eyebrows to the cross. Spotters Badge for the pass'.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 22, 2011, 03:44:11 PM

Ron Atkinson used to use it a lot. Used to have soccer connotations, but I think it's sort of morphed into Lahdahn speak for 'Early'. Which is nice.

'He's decided to take the man on early doors, and the big lad's gotten eyebrows to the cross. Spotters Badge for the pass'.

It's went and gotten its own tense too, obviously.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

I enjoyed this article last week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14201796

I got this cracker in an email today...

"We need to huddle internally tomorrow to decide how we want to conduct this study"

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 22, 2011, 03:44:11 PM

http://www.dangerhere.com/ronglish.htm

Spotter's Badge for me.
The Aristocrat Years

paco

Rushing to get the house phone only for it to stop ringing as soon as I pick it up, I don't know why people still bother with house phones! I'm going to dispose of mine.

I use the term "early doors" fairly often, didn't know about it's cockney origins though. You learn something new every day. What's so gear-grinding about it?

Forever Green

Ger Canning on the Sunday Game hurling. That man f**king infuriates me

lawnseed

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 30, 2011, 03:53:25 PM
The Journo trying to smear David Norris on Liveline. Don't care much for Norris, but this is shocking. The Joe Duffy agenda for the presidential race is alive and well. Keep Mary mc A  for the third term. He is a cretin.

david norris...
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

AhJaysusRef

'Outsiders' referring to the GAA as a sport, as in "Do you play GAA."

No I play hurling.

Cold tea

Quote from: paco on July 23, 2011, 01:46:25 PM
Rushing to get the house phone only for it to stop ringing as soon as I pick it up, I don't know why people still bother with house phones! I'm going to dispose of mine.

Cheaper calls than mobile phone, especially for international calls. very easy for emergency services to trace you if you ring and can't talk for some reason.  Your battery wont run out in a landline, some places like out of hours doctors need a landline to ring you back if you are sick at night or weekends etc, landlines won't loose signal.

Eamonnca1

Tony Baloney

Men wearing flip-flops.

I even saw a bloke wearing multi-coloured espadrilles the other night.

What has Ireland become?

Hardy

maggie

Men wearing flip flops is grand. Now men wearing sandals with white ankle socks, that's just wrong.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2011, 06:47:28 PM
Men knowing what an espadrille is.

You'll be glad to hear I had to google that. So that's what them things were in the Miami Vice days.