You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tubberman on May 29, 2011, 02:33:53 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 17, 2011, 10:51:13 AM
When people push the button at a pedestrian crossing when they have clearly seen you push it 2 seconds before.

I do that. I'm fully aware of how pointless it is, but I still do it for some reason.
I something push it 2-3 times in quick succession - just to make sure, like!
It's pointless pressing it at all in a lot of cases, it won't stop the traffic any quicker.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 16, 2011, 04:18:20 PM
Quote from: tyrone girl on May 16, 2011, 02:38:31 PM
Wtf is a slicing machine in a supermarket  ???

Thanks TG. I thought I was the only one. Is that another name for a knife?
Not quite a knife, no. but don't worry I'm sure Offaly will have them within a hundred years or so.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tubberman on May 29, 2011, 02:33:53 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 17, 2011, 10:51:13 AM
When people push the button at a pedestrian crossing when they have clearly seen you push it 2 seconds before.

I do that. I'm fully aware of how pointless it is, but I still do it for some reason.
I sometimes push it 2-3 times in quick succession - just to make sure, like!

I heard that in Dublin they on timers during the day and the button only makes a difference at night.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

The Worker

I hate it when people press the button AFTER the light has already went green for them to cross.

lurganblue

Toilet seat lids that don't stay up by themselves

ONeill

Old wheelbarrows with holes in them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Just tip it up and empty them out of it.

Croí na hÉireann

The Cork football fans at the end of TSG introduction/ad breaks. Could they not have put up a clip of the Cork team celebrating instead of lads who were probably at their first game of the year?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

An Gaeilgoir

The Journo trying to smear David Norris on Liveline. Don't care much for Norris, but this is shocking. The Joe Duffy agenda for the presidential race is alive and well. Keep Mary mc A  for the third term. He is a cretin.

muppet

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 30, 2011, 03:53:25 PM
The Journo trying to smear David Norris on Liveline. Don't care much for Norris, but this is shocking. The Joe Duffy agenda for the presidential race is alive and well. Keep Mary mc A  for the third term. He is a cretin.

There would have to be a referendum and then an election.
MWWSI 2017

Lone Shark

I'm not a regular on this thread, but this past weekend reminded me of a bugbear that drives me demented.

As a non-drinker, I still head to pubs and nightclubs regularly, and would normally drink Coke or Lucozade, or at a push, Red Bull. It drives me absolutely spare when you ask for one of these and because they have deals with certain suppliers, you just get Pepsi/Club Energise/Shark given to you without a word said. Then if I say to them that I don't want that, you get that evil glance which tells you that you won't be getting served in a hurry next time you go to the bar, as if I've done wrong. One guy even tried to argue that he'd already opened the bottle and poured it so I'd have to pay for it. Worse still, if someone else is getting the round in, I'm not going to be a p***k and send them back up, but still it drives me demented. God knows the pub is making plenty of margin off the mineral drinkers in there.

I've no problem with a bar having a deal with a certain supplier, that's up to them. I'm quite happy to have 7up or something else instead, but Pepsi is not nice, Club energise is awful and I actually can't force myself to drink Shark, it's that bad. If you don't have what I ask for, is it too much for bar staff to ask if the substitute is okay before just opening and pouring? It's not like I'm going to walk out the door, I just want a drink that isn't torture to force down. 

I mean, I can't imagine somebody asking for vodka and being happy to be given gin, just because it's the same colour, or asking for Budweiser and being given Harp. If you wouldn't do it to alcohol drinkers, why is it okay to pawn off any old muck on the rest of us?

If there is just one bar worker reading this thread who stops that behaviour as a result of reading this, I'll be a happy man.

thebigfella

Quote from: Lone Shark on May 31, 2011, 01:26:00 PM
I'm not a regular on this thread, but this past weekend reminded me of a bugbear that drives me demented.

As a non-drinker, I still head to pubs and nightclubs regularly, and would normally drink Coke or Lucozade, or at a push, Red Bull. It drives me absolutely spare when you ask for one of these and because they have deals with certain suppliers, you just get Pepsi/Club Energise/Shark given to you without a word said. Then if I say to them that I don't want that, you get that evil glance which tells you that you won't be getting served in a hurry next time you go to the bar, as if I've done wrong. One guy even tried to argue that he'd already opened the bottle and poured it so I'd have to pay for it. Worse still, if someone else is getting the round in, I'm not going to be a p***k and send them back up, but still it drives me demented. God knows the pub is making plenty of margin off the mineral drinkers in there.

I've no problem with a bar having a deal with a certain supplier, that's up to them. I'm quite happy to have 7up or something else instead, but Pepsi is not nice, Club energise is awful and I actually can't force myself to drink Shark, it's that bad. If you don't have what I ask for, is it too much for bar staff to ask if the substitute is okay before just opening and pouring? It's not like I'm going to walk out the door, I just want a drink that isn't torture to force down. 

I mean, I can't imagine somebody asking for vodka and being happy to be given gin, just because it's the same colour, or asking for Budweiser and being given Harp. If you wouldn't do it to alcohol drinkers, why is it okay to pawn off any old muck on the rest of us?

If there is just one bar worker reading this thread who stops that behaviour as a result of reading this, I'll be a happy man.

It's illegal to actually to substitute a brand with another without the consumer agreeing, if you asked for Cola they could serve you rolla cola ;)

Hardy

One time in the rugby club bar in Drogheda, I was getting a round which included a Paddy. I saw the barman fill a Powers. I said nothing until everything was in. Just as I was about to pay, I said "hold on" and I picked up the whiskey and had a good look at it. Then I took a sniff and said to the barman "that's not Paddy, that's Powers". Dirty look, whiskey replaced, not a word.

I'm small-minded enough to have taken great pleasure from that and a small victory for the punter against the massed ranks of the contemptuous floggers of alcohol is no harm.

HiMucker

Quote from: Hardy on May 31, 2011, 02:25:39 PM
One time in the rugby club bar in Drogheda, I was getting a round which included a Paddy. I saw the barman fill a Powers. I said nothing until everything was in. Just as I was about to pay, I said "hold on" and I picked up the whiskey and had a good look at it. Then I took a sniff and said to the barman "that's not Paddy, that's Powers". Dirty look, whiskey replaced, not a word.

I'm small-minded enough to have taken great pleasure from that and a small victory for the punter against the massed ranks of the contemptuous floggers of alcohol is no harm.
you should have taken a swig aswell  :D

Puckoon

We were out to dinner a few months back at a pretentious fecking place at an invitation to join another couple. I asked for a Tanqueray and tonic (figuring in this place it would be the guts of 10$). The bar maid took the order and proceeded to pour the gin and then she started making something off to the side. Wasn't sure what she was at until she handed me my cocktail and it looked like watered down snot. I asked her what it was and she said "Oh yeah, we make our own tonic in here". Anyone who drinks tonic knows its the sharpness and the bite that most tonic drinkers like and this was like a flattened, herbacious american style lemonade. I was only able to get  about two sips out of it but in true stupid Puck fashion I didnt say anything and paid $9 for the fecking thing.

Dinner for two that night was 130$ and I went home and made a sandwich. Pretentions fuckin hole.