You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: ONeill on December 23, 2015, 04:57:43 PM
Forgetting things. 40 is the turning point. Can't remember who's called what.

Can't remember what I came on here to say....

Sure you must have forgotten turning 40 at this point...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on December 23, 2015, 04:57:43 PM
Forgetting things. 40 is the turning point. Can't remember who's called what.

Can't remember what I came on here to say....
Fcuk off!  :D

Eamonnca1

Quote from: CiKe on December 23, 2015, 12:27:19 PM
It must have been on here before but people parking in spaces reserved for people with disabilities...always makes me feel like taking a key to the side of the car...particularly if is an SUV...

If they have a disabled placard, let them tear away.

CiKe

Obviously talking about those that don't but to be honest, also annoys me those that do but who occupy disabled spaces in supermarket when not travelling with the person who has reduced mobility (we have one but wouldn't dream of using for disabled space if daughter not with us...though happy to use it for loading bays if she isn't!)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: CiKe on December 25, 2015, 07:56:00 PM
Obviously talking about those that don't but to be honest, also annoys me those that do but who occupy disabled spaces in supermarket when not travelling with the person who has reduced mobility (we have one but wouldn't dream of using for disabled space if daughter not with us...though happy to use it for loading bays if she isn't!)
Unfortunately big supermarkets etc. don't have he resources to police this. The people who do it are c***ts of the highest order. I do mention to the odd punter but I was nearly caught badly once so need tread carefully.

Eamonnca1

How do you know they're not there to pick up a disabled person?  My approach to that situation is to mind my own business and say nothing.

Windmill abu

QuoteObviously talking about those that don't but to be honest, also annoys me those that do but who occupy disabled spaces in supermarket when not travelling with the person who has reduced mobility (we have one but wouldn't dream of using for disabled space if daughter not with us...though happy to use it for loading bays if she isn't!)
Unfortunately big supermarkets etc. don't have he resources to police this. The people who do it are c***ts of the highest order. I do mention to the odd punter but I was nearly caught badly once so need tread carefully.

Why not?. Are you seriously suggesting that the major supermarkets cannot afford to comply with the basic requirements in law for ALL their customers.  They employ security staff inside their stores and staff to collect abandoned trolleys in the car parks. Either of these roles could be expanded to ensure their parking guidelines are observed.

Why go to the bother of painting disabled parking spaces if you have no policy of enforcing them?

Never underestimate the power of complaining

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Windmill abu on December 26, 2015, 03:05:12 AM
QuoteObviously talking about those that don't but to be honest, also annoys me those that do but who occupy disabled spaces in supermarket when not travelling with the person who has reduced mobility (we have one but wouldn't dream of using for disabled space if daughter not with us...though happy to use it for loading bays if she isn't!)

Why not?. Are you seriously suggesting that the major supermarkets cannot afford to comply with the basic requirements in law for ALL their customers.  They employ security staff inside their stores and staff to collect abandoned trolleys in the car parks. Either of these roles could be expanded to ensure their parking guidelines are observed.

Why go to the bother of painting disabled parking spaces if you have no policy of enforcing them?
They won't make money out of enforcing it. They will by having security to deter shoplifters and a constant supply of trolleys to prevent customers going elsewhere.

What is Ziggy doing about it?  ;)

CiKe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 25, 2015, 10:01:37 PM

How do you know they're not there to pick up a disabled person?  My approach to that situation is to mind my own business and say nothing.

They may be in some cases. If they have a disabled badge my base assumption is that anyone who knows what it is like to care for a disabled person would not abuse that badge. However on umpteen occasions I have seen able bodied  people walk out with the shopping and get into a car with not a disabled person in sight. I am perhaps very righteous about this because it is a new situation for us but it drives me bananas.

Wasnt someone who had a badge just some c*nt but i I called a guy out on it recently and he said sure it was only 5 minutes. it might be 5 minutes for him but it could be 15 minutes till I find a bloody parking and my kid going absolutely apeshit in the back all the while (if we have to drive more than about 15 minutes we will only do so when she is sound asleep as she just gets too stressed in the car seat)

redzone

The only time it is alright is when there is 5/6 disabled spaces beside other free and nobody is using them then I don't mind somebody using one of them. Don't think anybody would have a problem there

illdecide

It's extremely difficult to police disabled parking, not everyone with a disability is in a wheel chair. People may seem okay but they may well have a disability that you don't know about. All public disabled parking bays are not allowed to display a wheel chair symbol in the space for this reason although private parking like super markets still use the symbol. TBH I'd say there are only very small minority who would abuse the system and I'd say it would be extremely rare for someone with a disability that can't get a disabled parking bay to park in.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

CiKe

Quote from: illdecide on December 27, 2015, 04:49:41 PM
It's extremely difficult to police disabled parking, not everyone with a disability is in a wheel chair. People may seem okay but they may well have a disability that you don't know about. All public disabled parking bays are not allowed to display a wheel chair symbol in the space for this reason although private parking like super markets still use the symbol. TBH I'd say there are only very small minority who would abuse the system and I'd say it would be extremely rare for someone with a disability that can't get a disabled parking bay to park in.

True there may not be disabilities you might not notice but pretty sure not the case in these instances. Not sure what situation is like at home but am living in Madrid and can tell you happens a lot more often than you might expect. As redone says if there are ample spaces and you are hopping in and out I don't have a problem but relity is that in any city centre shopping centre or supermarket you never get enough spaces - would be exceptionally rare that we can drive in and just find a free disabled bay. As I said, perhaps is because is a recent thing for us drives me crazy- which is what this thread is about!

armaghniac

TBH I'd say there are only very small minority who would abuse the system

Such faith in human nature.

Quoteand I'd say it would be extremely rare for someone with a disability that can't get a disabled parking bay to park in.

I wonder?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on December 27, 2015, 06:30:56 PM
TBH I'd say there are only very small minority who would abuse the system

Such faith in human nature.

Quoteand I'd say it would be extremely rare for someone with a disability that can't get a disabled parking bay to park in.

I wonder?
There were none available when I went to the shops in Armagh today. I did my usual straw poll and of the 4 occupied disabled spaces, 2 of the cars had no badge displayed. Wankers.

Hardy

If you have a sprained ankle or a cracked rib or temporary projectile vomiting but you don't have a disabled badge, are you justified in using one of these spaces?