Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 23, 2013, 12:07:20 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 22, 2013, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 22, 2013, 04:51:01 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 22, 2013, 04:18:21 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 22, 2013, 12:16:43 PM
Nick Grimshaw.

Agreed. Can't stand him. The weemin love him though. Jesus wept.

Radio One axed loudmouth DJ Chris Moyles for him. It was believed that Nick GRIMshaw would appeal to a younger audience. He runs about with Harry Styles from 1D so his 'in' celebrity appeals to the young impressionable teens. He also has a show on BBC3 called something like 'Sweat the Small Stuff'. I have never seen it but by the sounds of his own personal review of it on the radio it sounds just thrilling.

Radio One be's on in our office. I am the second youngest in here. The other's I mock saying that they are trying to hold on to their youth.

Radio One in general kind of grinds my gears- same 8/10 songs over and over. I hear 4 different DJ's during the day:
Nick The Bell-end
Fearne 'I like you on Juice but you blow on radio' Cotton
Scott Mills & then Greg James. But of which I can listen to.

All four stick to the same songs throughout the day.

Can anyone explain this please?

Habitual present tense. Exists in Gaeilge (bíonn sé, mar shampla), but absent from the English language, so this is an attempt to compensate for that absence (the errant apostrophe notwithstanding), more often rendered as 'does be' perhaps.  :P ;)

I was reading lately that them English bastards came over and taught us the English. We mastered it and then they went back to England and changed syntax and pronunciation and left us sounding like dicks.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J OGorman

people taking photos with iPads, grrrrrr

LeoMc

People who use their mobile phones like they are on the apprentice, (speakerphone on and held flat in front of their face) when driving.

THAT IS NOT HANDSFREE!!!

Asal Mor

More slightly irritating than a gear grinder, but the way Americans refer to their national sporting champions as the world champions.

ballinaman

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on November 18, 2013, 01:06:51 PM
Chicargo

Reminds me of an event in boarding school many years ago.

A number of us had spent the summer abroad and on our return in September one of the priests was asking us where we had all been. There was an interesting variety of answers given but we all raised our eyebrows when a difficult guy with many problems who, shall we say, was unlikely to have had either the money or permission to go anywhere, unless he ran away, announced that he had been in California.

The priest was as surprised as the rest of us and asked him what city had he been in.

"Chicargo!" he confidently replied.

The priest smiled and asked him what airport had he landed in.

"Dunno" our man replied, "I was asleep when we got off the airplane".
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

I saw an ad for the K Club headed "You're fairytale wedding"

Very poor
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: AQMP on October 23, 2013, 11:08:30 AM
Quote from: Hardy on October 23, 2013, 10:32:31 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 23, 2013, 09:47:27 AM
Apologies for my bad spelling and grammar. I have brought great shame to my Queen and her language.

On the contrary. That was a fine example of Hiberno-English (which undermines Queenery at every opportunity). I remember enquiring about it here when a receptionist on the phone in Tyrone said to me, "I'll check the computer room - he usually bees there". 'Does be' and 'do be' are the more common version throughout the 26 counties, I'd say.

Excellent explanation FóSB.

From "English As We Speak It In Ireland" by P.W. Joyce:

In the Irish language (but not in English) there is what is called the consuetudinal tense, i.e. denoting habitual action or existence. It is a very convenient tense, so much so that the Irish, feeling the want of it in their English, have created one by the use of the word do with be: 'I do be at my lessons every evening from 8 to 9 o'clock.' 'There does be a meeting of the company every Tuesday.' ''Tis humbuggin' me they do be.' ('Knocknagow.')

Sometimes this is expressed by be alone without the do; but here the be is also often used in the ordinary sense of is without any consuetudinal meaning. 'My father bees always at home in the morning': 'At night while I bees reading my wife bees knitting.' (Consuetudinal.) 'You had better not wait till it bees night.' (Indicative.)

'I'll seek out my Blackbird wherever he be.' (Indicative.) (Old Folk Song—'The Blackbird.')

This use of be for is is common in the eastern half of Ireland from Wexford to Antrim.

(This was published in 1910)

I've heard the "bes/bees" (occasionally "bis/biz") used in Tyrone and Fermanagh.  I rang a client last week and the answer to the question "Is Tom there?" was "He usually bis in the yard at this time of day"

He bes etc is common in Derry City. Its from gaeilge bíonn sé.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Minder

Quote from: laoislad on November 25, 2013, 06:35:17 PM
Peppa Pig.

It's on out house from 7am to 8pm, and I see there is now a Nick Jr station that is just Peppa Pig.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 24, 2013, 10:53:04 AM
Quote from: AQMP on October 23, 2013, 11:08:30 AM
Quote from: Hardy on October 23, 2013, 10:32:31 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 23, 2013, 09:47:27 AM
Apologies for my bad spelling and grammar. I have brought great shame to my Queen and her language.

On the contrary. That was a fine example of Hiberno-English (which undermines Queenery at every opportunity). I remember enquiring about it here when a receptionist on the phone in Tyrone said to me, "I'll check the computer room - he usually bees there". 'Does be' and 'do be' are the more common version throughout the 26 counties, I'd say.

Excellent explanation FóSB.

From "English As We Speak It In Ireland" by P.W. Joyce:

In the Irish language (but not in English) there is what is called the consuetudinal tense, i.e. denoting habitual action or existence. It is a very convenient tense, so much so that the Irish, feeling the want of it in their English, have created one by the use of the word do with be: 'I do be at my lessons every evening from 8 to 9 o'clock.' 'There does be a meeting of the company every Tuesday.' ''Tis humbuggin' me they do be.' ('Knocknagow.')

Sometimes this is expressed by be alone without the do; but here the be is also often used in the ordinary sense of is without any consuetudinal meaning. 'My father bees always at home in the morning': 'At night while I bees reading my wife bees knitting.' (Consuetudinal.) 'You had better not wait till it bees night.' (Indicative.)

'I'll seek out my Blackbird wherever he be.' (Indicative.) (Old Folk Song—'The Blackbird.')

This use of be for is is common in the eastern half of Ireland from Wexford to Antrim.

(This was published in 1910)

I've heard the "bes/bees" (occasionally "bis/biz") used in Tyrone and Fermanagh.  I rang a client last week and the answer to the question "Is Tom there?" was "He usually bis in the yard at this time of day"

He bes etc is common in Derry City. Its from gaeilge bíonn sé.
Check out the chorus...here be's me....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FY6vMFIyE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dl7FY6vMFIyE
The Aristocrat Years

Puckoon

Quote from: Minder on November 25, 2013, 06:37:05 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 25, 2013, 06:35:17 PM
Peppa Pig.

It's on out house from 7am to 8pm, and I see there is now a Nick Jr station that is just Peppa Pig.

Horribly boring books, with terrible illustrations. Kids love it though.

No1

It's not a patch on Ben and Holly right nuff.

seafoid

Quote from: No1 on November 25, 2013, 09:55:27 PM
It's not a patch on Ben and Holly right nuff.
the Octonauts are better
Charlie and Lola aren't bad either
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Gaeilgoir

Ah lads, Paw Patrol is where it is at now....do keep up!!