You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Have said it before and will say it again.  People foostering around with laser cards at the till to pay for small purchases.
Also anyone who buys drink at a pub with a laser card.

Oh and being unable to read a paper without half of it being about Love/Hate.

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Hardy

Quote from: Canalman on October 22, 2013, 05:25:36 PM
Have said it before and will say it again.  People foostering around with laser cards at the till to pay for small purchases.
Also anyone who buys drink at a pub with a laser card.

Oh and being unable to read a paper without half of it being about Love/Hate.

Whaddaya gonna do when we're a cashless society?

(I'm there already.)

muppet

Quote from: Under Lights on October 22, 2013, 04:51:01 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 22, 2013, 04:18:21 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 22, 2013, 12:16:43 PM
Nick Grimshaw.

Agreed. Can't stand him. The weemin love him though. Jesus wept.

Radio One axed loudmouth DJ Chris Moyles for him. It was believed that Nick GRIMshaw would appeal to a younger audience. He runs about with Harry Styles from 1D so his 'in' celebrity appeals to the young impressionable teens. He also has a show on BBC3 called something like 'Sweat the Small Stuff'. I have never seen it but by the sounds of his own personal review of it on the radio it sounds just thrilling.

Radio One be's on in our office. I am the second youngest in here. The other's I mock saying that they are trying to hold on to their youth.

Radio One in general kind of grinds my gears- same 8/10 songs over and over. I hear 4 different DJ's during the day:
Nick The Bell-end
Fearne 'I like you on Juice but you blow on radio' Cotton
Scott Mills & then Greg James. But of which I can listen to.

All four stick to the same songs throughout the day.

Can anyone explain this please?
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on October 22, 2013, 11:14:20 PM
Nick Grimshaw.

Radio One axed loudmouth DJ Chris Moyles for him. It was believed that Nick GRIMshaw would appeal to a younger audience. He runs about with Harry Styles from 1D so his 'in' celebrity appeals to the young impressionable teens. He also has a show on BBC3 called something like 'Sweat the Small Stuff'. I have never seen it but by the sounds of his own personal review of it on the radio it sounds just thrilling.

Radio One be's on in our office. I am the second youngest in here. The other's I mock saying that they are trying to hold on to their youth.

Radio One in general kind of grinds my gears- same 8/10 songs over and over. I hear 4 different DJ's during the day:
Nick The Bell-end

Habitual present tense. Exists in Gaeilge (bíonn sé, mar shampla), but absent from the English language, so this is an attempt to compensate for that absence (the errant apostrophe notwithstanding), more often rendered as 'does be' perhaps.  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 23, 2013, 12:07:20 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 22, 2013, 11:14:20 PM
Nick Grimshaw.

Nick The Bell-end

Habitual present tense. Exists in Gaeilge (bíonn sé, mar shampla), but absent from the English language, so this is an attempt to compensate for that absence (the errant apostrophe notwithstanding), more often rendered as 'does be' perhaps.  :P ;)

Thank you for the succinct explanation. I really wish I had learned my grammar better.

I have heard 'does be' and 'do be' alright but never '<something> be's'.
MWWSI 2017

Under Lights

Apologies for my bad spelling and grammar. I have brought great shame to my Queen and her language.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Under Lights on October 23, 2013, 09:47:27 AM
Apologies for my bad spelling and grammar. I have brought great shame to my Queen and her language.

Unfortunately, that's what happens when you listen to Radio One on a regular basis. It sucks the intelligent life out of it's listeners.
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

Greg James.

Another complete bellend.

I wasn't a particular fan of Radio 1 when I was in their core demographic and had Chris Moyles or Sarah Cox shouting at me every morning but it's beyond tripe now.

Mind you, the DJs are still better than any of the tosspots on Cool FM.

Hardy

On the contrary. That was a fine example of Hiberno-English (which undermines Queenery at every opportunity). I remember enquiring about it here when a receptionist on the phone in Tyrone said to me, "I'll check the computer room - he usually bees there". 'Does be' and 'do be' are the more common version throughout the 26 counties, I'd say.

Excellent explanation FóSB.

From "English As We Speak It In Ireland" by P.W. Joyce:

In the Irish language (but not in English) there is what is called the consuetudinal tense, i.e. denoting habitual action or existence. It is a very convenient tense, so much so that the Irish, feeling the want of it in their English, have created one by the use of the word do with be: 'I do be at my lessons every evening from 8 to 9 o'clock.' 'There does be a meeting of the company every Tuesday.' ''Tis humbuggin' me they do be.' ('Knocknagow.')

Sometimes this is expressed by be alone without the do; but here the be is also often used in the ordinary sense of is without any consuetudinal meaning. 'My father bees always at home in the morning': 'At night while I bees reading my wife bees knitting.' (Consuetudinal.) 'You had better not wait till it bees night.' (Indicative.)

'I'll seek out my Blackbird wherever he be.' (Indicative.) (Old Folk Song—'The Blackbird.')

This use of be for is is common in the eastern half of Ireland from Wexford to Antrim.

(This was published in 1910)

AQMP

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 23, 2013, 10:20:19 AM

Unfortunately, that's what happens when you listen to Radio One on a regular basis. It sucks the intelligent life out of it's listeners.

Now Benny, don't have me to start.

AQMP

Quote from: Hardy on October 23, 2013, 10:32:31 AM

On the contrary. That was a fine example of Hiberno-English (which undermines Queenery at every opportunity). I remember enquiring about it here when a receptionist on the phone in Tyrone said to me, "I'll check the computer room - he usually bees there". 'Does be' and 'do be' are the more common version throughout the 26 counties, I'd say.

Excellent explanation FóSB.

From "English As We Speak It In Ireland" by P.W. Joyce:

In the Irish language (but not in English) there is what is called the consuetudinal tense, i.e. denoting habitual action or existence. It is a very convenient tense, so much so that the Irish, feeling the want of it in their English, have created one by the use of the word do with be: 'I do be at my lessons every evening from 8 to 9 o'clock.' 'There does be a meeting of the company every Tuesday.' ''Tis humbuggin' me they do be.' ('Knocknagow.')

Sometimes this is expressed by be alone without the do; but here the be is also often used in the ordinary sense of is without any consuetudinal meaning. 'My father bees always at home in the morning': 'At night while I bees reading my wife bees knitting.' (Consuetudinal.) 'You had better not wait till it bees night.' (Indicative.)

'I'll seek out my Blackbird wherever he be.' (Indicative.) (Old Folk Song—'The Blackbird.')

This use of be for is is common in the eastern half of Ireland from Wexford to Antrim.

(This was published in 1910)

I've heard the "bes/bees" (occasionally "bis/biz") used in Tyrone and Fermanagh.  I rang a client last week and the answer to the question "Is Tom there?" was "He usually bis in the yard at this time of day"

gallsman

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2013, 11:16:40 AM
Some cultured Belfast folk:

Here be's me = I said.

Yer man toul me to get out of his shap.
Here be's me, "Fack aff, y'aul scroat."

Here's me wha?

AQMP

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2013, 11:16:40 AM
Some cultured Belfast folk:

Here be's me = I said.

Yer man toul me to get out of his shap.
Here be's me, "Fack aff, y'aul scroat."

Did ye not deck the aul ballix?

BennyHarp

Quote from: AQMP on October 23, 2013, 10:48:47 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on October 23, 2013, 10:20:19 AM

Now Benny, don't have me to start.

I was listening to Radio One this morning! It must have attacked the part of my brain which helped me understand how to use an apostrophe to show belonging. :o
That was never a square ball!!