You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ONeill on August 20, 2012, 11:05:27 AM
I'd go down to Cork, Kerry, Dublin and Portugal. I go up to Portrush, Dungiven, Bushmills and Muff. Completely geographical.

Are you sure?

ONeill

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 20, 2012, 11:16:00 AM
I'd go down to Cork, Kerry, Dublin and Portugal. I go up to Portrush, Dungiven, Bushmills and Muff. Completely geographical.

Are you sure?

Muff =
Latitude   55.06724030
Longitude   -7.26916720

Glenavy =
Latitude   54.59212000
Longitude   -6.21411000

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ONeill on August 20, 2012, 11:20:49 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 20, 2012, 11:16:00 AM

Are you sure?

Muff =
Latitude   55.06724030
Longitude   -7.26916720

Glenavy =
Latitude   54.59212000
Longitude   -6.21411000

Fair enough, geography was never my strong point, I always thought Muff was more southerly than that!

5 Sams

Everybody in Newry that I know goes UP to Dublin and Dundalk...might be someting to do with the big hill out of the town..then again you DOWN to Kerry, OVER to Galway, OUT to Hilltown.
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

We always went up to Dublin, though it was South. I don't think it has anything to do with elevation, the compass or Irish. I think it's always up to the capital. In England they always go up to London from all directions. But then they also go up to Oxford and Cambridge and get sent down from them if they act the latchico.

If you think that's confusing, try dealing with directions west of the Shannon or in West Cork/Kerry. You'll be in Annascaul, heading West and you ask for directions to Ballyferriter.
"Go back to Dingle and turn right", you'll be told.
- "What? I thought I was heading towards Dingle. I know I haven't passed it already."
"No. It's a few miles on. Go back there and turn right".

This comes directly from Irish, where the same word, siar, means both backwards and westwards and it's very common, even in Limerick.

5 Sams

Even in Dingle anywhere over the bridge at Milltown is "back wesht".
The Aristocrat Years

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 20, 2012, 11:29:58 AM
Everybody in Newry that I know goes UP to Dublin and Dundalk...might be someting to do with the big hill out of the town..then again you DOWN to Kerry, OVER to Galway, OUT to Hilltown.

Nearly right, OUT OF Hilltown, not to!

Hardy

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2012, 11:36:17 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2012, 11:32:46 AM
In England they always go up to London from all directions.

Don't think that's true.

I'm fairly sure it is. Certainly among the upper classes. Google "going up to London".

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2012, 11:23:50 AM
Do you go up to Crumlin or Antrim?

Antrim is more an "out to" place. Like Lisburn or Banbridge.

I go to the tanning salon in Crumlin.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Just googling around and some are suggesting you go "up" to London because the railways called the line towards London the "up" line and the other the "down" line. But where did they get that in the first place?

maddog

I would always say down to Dublin or up to Belfast as thats the direction its in generally. In Birmingham i've never heard anyone say up to London its always down to London.

Onion Bag

I would say down to Dublin and down to Belfast, i cant believe this conversation is still going on
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Onion Bag on August 20, 2012, 01:22:21 PM
I would say down to Dublin and down to Belfast, i cant believe this conversation is still going on

You're the one keeping it going ;)

Onion Bag

What about you BCB, what would you say?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Onion Bag on August 20, 2012, 01:25:52 PM
What about you BCB, what would you say?

Same as I said earlier!

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 20, 2012, 10:39:10 AM
I  go down to Belfast and up to Dublin, as do many people I know.  I would imagine it has more to do with colloquialisms than anything else.  May have originally derived from the the Irish language or maybe it has nothing to do with it.  It certainly isn't something that warrants a gear grinding session but it is symptomatic of the style of conya (another colloquialism there!) that flows from thon gobdaw's mouth!