How to fill the day?

Started by pintsofguinness, July 23, 2009, 08:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

So I'm soon to be unemployed  :-\ 

I've only ever been unemployed once before, for a couple of months and you think it's going to be alright, all the free time to do the things you want, but it's not! It's awful!  I'm thinking the holiday period will end after a couple of days and boredom will strike so I need suggestions on filling my day and my new found free time. 

I'm determined not find myself sitting on the couch, in my boxers, watching "cash in the attic", eating cornflakes and wallowing in self pity at 4 oclock in the day.  Obviously some time will need to be spent on answering bullshit questions on application forms for jobs I'm completley unsuited or over qualified for just so that I can have a small glimmer of hope in my dark tunnell, only to have my hopes dashed when the days and weeks past and I never hear from anyone. 

Then I'll have to spend some time answering the phone from supposedly well meaning family and friends enquiring if I've found a job, as if I wouldnt think of telling them if I had! and from various contacts who never have any good news on the work front and seem to think giving me a list of everyone I know who is unemployed is some sort of comfort.  Then I'll need to set aside some time each day to feel sorry for myself and yous think I'm grumpy now......

...but after that what the hell am I going to do all day every day!!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyrone girl

Is it permanent or being laid off for a while

pintsofguinness

tyrone girl

Not good , hope something works out for u.

In the meantime , no advice on how to pass the day , ul know already about spending your time lookin for jobs etc etc and overqualified etc take what ya can get

Keep urself positive firstly , when ya get urself into bad frame of mind its worst thing ever. I know for me once i start thinking negatively its easy to get urself on a downer.

Keep the head up and try get up early in morns anyway and get urself in some kinda routine. Something will work out for ya all being well. Our jobs are dodgy enough at the min too so im hopin for best more than anything

milltown row

apply for a training course. usually you can get some training in various trades and be 'placed' with someone who usually gives you a few pounds extra 'tax free' and it wont affect your benefits (should you be claiming)

the Gov. at the minute are pushing for re-training the unemployed

if not piss off to the states and play football and get paid.

ONeill

Get as fit as you can. It's probably the last chance to find out what your body is capable of as age will dictate that you'll be rowing against the tide very soon, trying to keep your head above the water and fighting blocked arteries. Walk, run, weights, good food. Daily routine. The first 2 weeks will encounter moments of weakness and saying feck this. After that you'll see small progress. Soon you'll find your mind is unusually healthy and increasingly happy.

In between, learn things - on youtube etc. Art, cars, language, writing, sport, wiring, pcs, electonics. Turn off the TV.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: tyrone girl on July 23, 2009, 09:07:47 PM
Not good , hope something works out for u.

In the meantime , no advice on how to pass the day , ul know already about spending your time lookin for jobs etc etc and overqualified etc take what ya can get

Keep urself positive firstly , when ya get urself into bad frame of mind its worst thing ever. I know for me once i start thinking negatively its easy to get urself on a downer.

Keep the head up and try get up early in morns anyway and get urself in some kinda routine. Something will work out for ya all being well. Our jobs are dodgy enough at the min too so im hopin for best more than anything

Oh I wouldnt be one for postive thinking, even at the best of times.  I'm determined to get up early in the mornings, not sure what I'm going to do when I do get up though.  thanks for the advice though! hope you hang on to yours, I've been hanging on to a job since about last october! 

Milltown, I've already got a trade.
Piss of to the states to play football? Are you taking the piss?  The under10s wouldnt have me!

Oneill, I like your ideas!

pintsofguinness

5ivetimes, why didnt you leave your laughing icon in?

Cúig huaire

Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

DownFanatic

Know a lad who applied there for a volunteering job and he was told he was overqualified for it.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on July 23, 2009, 09:22:26 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2009, 09:16:52 PM
Get as fit as you can. It's probably the last chance to find out what your body is capable of as age will dictate that you'll be rowing against the tide very soon, trying to keep your head above the water and fighting blocked arteries. Walk, run, weights, good food. Daily routine. The first 2 weeks will encounter moments of weakness and saying feck this. After that you'll see small progress. Soon you'll find your mind is unusually healthy and increasingly happy.

In between, learn things - on youtube etc. Art, cars, language, writing, sport, wiring, pcs, electonics. Turn off the TV.
100%

Or just drink wkd and realise we're all going to be wormfood no matter what and you'll be remembered for feck all after 3 months.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cúig huaire

Just think you will get to spend even more time on the board  :o
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

mylestheslasher

Think about starting something up yourself. I don't know what your trade is but is there something you'd like to do? Maybe they do start up grants up north? Do some research and if you suceed no f**ker will make you redundant again!

fred the red

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 23, 2009, 08:58:20 PM
Obviously some time will need to be spent on answering bullshit questions on application forms for jobs I'm completley unsuited or over qualified for just so that I can have a small glimmer of hope in my dark tunnell,

Tip- get someone to proof read your application forms before you send them in!

Our Nail Loney

Is it possible to watch more tv/films than you do already?