Best v Healy

Started by Square Ball, November 20, 2007, 09:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leg End

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
absolutely shocking thread

george best was described as the best player ever to grace the planet by the player who i think was the best ever to grace the planet (pele)... healy hahahahahaha compared to best hahahahahh :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

anybody who thinks that george best isn't in the top 5 players OF ALL TIME watch his performance in the european cup winning side for man utd, players tried to bust him every time he got the ball and he still practically won it on his own....

Before the likes of pog starts to argue yes i think his talent is wasted and no i don't agree with what he did in his personal life but noone can dispute he was a footballing genious
we're here for a good time, not a long time

J70

Quote from: dodo on November 20, 2007, 10:33:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 20, 2007, 10:25:52 PM
Quote from: dodo on November 20, 2007, 10:18:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 20, 2007, 09:55:48 PM
Come on Pints! Best might have pissed it all away and may not have been much of a role model in terms of how to handle fame and fortune, but no other player from the British Isles has ever come close to him in terms of footballing ability.

::)

You disagree that there haven't been any better players, or are you disapproving of my use of the term "British Isles"?

The latter.

Oh well.

MW

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 20, 2007, 10:07:38 PM
Best was 100% the better footballer but Healy has been a much greater servant to Northern Ireland than Best ever was. 

Agreed.

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 20, 2007, 11:23:57 PM
I think with Best it is a case of what might have been. Best had it all, but threw it all away. I dont even think he can be classed as one of the greats, certainly not alongside the likes of Pele and Maradonna.

Hmm. Best had possibly the greatest sheer raw talent of any footballer ever. And he achieved a lot with it - English Championship, European Cup, European Footballer of the Year. Though he could've achieved a lot more.

I think he belongs in the same company as Pele, Maradona, di Stefano and Cruyff.

Actually I think Pele tends to got automatic top spot just a little too quickly. He played on two excellent Brazilian teams, two of the greatest international teams of all time - in fact they were able to win the World Cup without him in 1962.

Maradona carried Argentina to their World Cup win in 1986, and to some extent to their very ugly passage to the final in 1990.

On cold facts Maradona was perhaps even more of a flawed genius than Best - twice-banned drug abuser, in fact drug cheat the second time, his most unsporting goal as famous as his most brilliant (in the same game which kind of sums him up) but up there as arguably the most skilful player of all time.

Dungiven Sur

Quote from: Leg End on November 21, 2007, 01:25:16 AM
absolutely shocking thread

:D :D :D :D

Christ almighty.  Anybody who chooses Healy over Best is an idiot.  Last year he was languishing in the Leeds reserve side and been completely anonymous for Fulham this year  and now he is being compared to Best, f**king ridiculous.

full back

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 20, 2007, 10:07:38 PM
Indeed I'd rather someone like Healy on my team than someone like Best.

Holy fcuk pog, will you ever catch a grip ::)
Healy's achievements over the last 18 months have been superb but to even mention him in the same breath as Best is an insult
I would say Healy himself would be embarassed if he saw the poll

Puckoon

If healy single handedly hands NI qualification tonight, he may be in the same breath as georgie.

SammyG

It's trying to compare apples and tractors. Best is probably the best footballer that ever lived, he could do things with a football that nobody else, before or since could do. Healy is an out and out striker, he's never going to dribble the ball 70 yards, beat 6 defeneders and then dummy the keeper but if you give him the ball anywhere around the box, he'll score more than he misses.

As far as service to NI (which is obviously a different question) then it's Healy by a mile.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: SammyG on November 21, 2007, 03:28:05 PM
It's trying to compare apples and tractors. Best is probably the best footballer that ever lived, he could do things with a football that nobody else, before or since could do. Healy is an out and out striker, he's never going to dribble the ball 70 yards, beat 6 defeneders and then dummy the keeper but if you give him the ball anywhere around the box, he'll score more than he misses.

As far as service to NI (which is obviously a different question) then it's Healy by a mile.

Thats a no, Madonna or Pele top of that pile. If you can show me footage dribbling a ball past 6 international players in an international competion that counts, then I will listen.

Balboa

Its Maradona by a country mile.

Will Hunting

Best or Healy:
Who has been the best player for Fulham?

Mentalman

Quote from: Will Hunting on November 21, 2007, 03:48:09 PM
Best or Healy:
Who has been the best player for Fulham?

You would have to give that time, I mean Healy is just in the door, and Best played in the same side and Marsh and Moore LOL
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Maximus Marillius

If Healy turns out for Tobermore we could ask the same question in 15 years time ;)

A Quinn Martin Production

My God...I agree with SammyG :o 

Taking into account that about half Healy's goals have been scored against so called minnows...how many goals would he have got had it not been for the debacle that was the Sammy McIlroy reign??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ludermor

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 21, 2007, 03:44:36 PM

Thats a no, Madonna or Pele top of that pile. If you can show me footage dribbling a ball past 6 international players in an international competion that counts, then I will listen.

But its accepted fact on this board that top european club teams are much better than international teams