Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 27, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great news, looks like a great appointment. The only way is up.... :)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

portlaoisekid

On the face of it , its a great looking set up. Lets hope all the players that he wants on board commit and we can start moving forward as a county again. We have been so poor for so long, its time we sorted ourselves out.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on September 20, 2017, 03:26:59 PM
On the face of it , its a great looking set up. Lets hope all the players that he wants on board commit and we can start moving forward as a county again. We have been so poor for so long, its time we sorted ourselves out.
Agreed. Its a great opportunity. Everything is positive about him. He's the best manager they could have dreamed to get in our current situation. When you think of some of the names bandied about, we should be very grateful. Its a hugely important period coming up for the future of football in this county. Some think we can't go any lower, I'd be very wary of that. Here's hoping we won't.

Tony

Obviously it would have been much better to have him appointed much earlier (post mcnulty) rather than the other managers we got from 2013 - 2017 but hindsight is great.

Better late than never, that is some background team he has set up.

S & C Coach Cannon will be very important. As a sprinter himself, hopefully he can work on improving the pace of the team. Even a yard or two would help. And overall fitness, we badly need it. We're surely one of the slowest teams in the country at present.

Have to say I'm optimistic enough for 2018 in terms of doing well in  Div 4 and building for the future. Hopefully all will commit. I don't think we'll be knocking on Leinster's doors or anything in 2018 but an improvement on the last few years would be positive. Getting to a League final and back to croke park is a realistic target as well as bringing on some more talent. Hopefully Sugrue and setup can do what some of us thought Creedon would do.

Best of luck to all involved.

Giovanni

I would agree with Tony that we must be one of the slowest teams in the country and this is surely one of our most serious weaknesses. While the S&C guy might make some marginal differences here (which would, of course, be a help), I hope the new setup will take a look at some more pacy players from the club scene. Alan Farrell and Eoin Buggie have been good additions over the last while and bring some pace and stamina. We need a few more new ones with more pace along those lines.

I add my good luck wishes to the new management team and hope they get all the support needed both from the County Board and the Laois supporter base.

Butch Cassidy

Have the u17 and u20 roles been filled yet? Be good to have a link between them and the senior role. Ideally we'd have a full time S&C coach overseeing all grades ala Brian Cullen with the Dubs

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Sugrue appointed for 1 year term, I assume if we don't get promoted he will join the long list of managers who will be removed and blamed for the appalling state of football in this county.

http://www.rte.ie/amp/907850/

Laoisguy

1 year contract what does that say?

>:(

GAA-SMART

No point in giving him 3-4 years, if we don't get out of 4 and early championship knock out yee be all on here again calling for heads. Maybe he only wanted a year.

clonadmad

Quote from: GAA-SMART on September 27, 2017, 01:04:32 PM
No point in giving him 3-4 years, if we don't get out of 4 and early championship knock out yee be all on here again calling for heads. Maybe he only wanted a year.

He requested more than a year

GAA-SMART

Makes no difference 1 or 20, if he does a good job then give him the 20 years

Don Draper

Quote from: GAA-SMART on September 27, 2017, 01:04:32 PM
The man spoke of the need to rebuild, etc. They know what he's about. They could at least have shown some courage in their conviction for once and given him 3 years.

BallyroanAbu

1 year or 4 does it matter ? If he is a success he will get longer, if not he will be let go anyway.  I think he is a smart guy, Kearns is from our club is a equally a smart cookie who knows the ins and outs of Laois Club Football.  Don't know piles about Delaney but by the looks of it these guys will be a success and we will have them for the long haul.

It is imperative the county board backs them with serious money to get the right people in the back room.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on September 27, 2017, 03:28:23 PM
1 year or 4 does it matter ? If he is a success he will get longer, if not he will be let go anyway. 
Its about a show of confidence. Of course it means little, especially in the GAA, but its about perception and strength.