Started by SCFC, July 27, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monument Road

Quote from: Don Draper on August 28, 2017, 11:43:43 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 28, 2017, 11:40:35 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 28, 2017, 10:53:38 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 28, 2017, 10:36:17 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 28, 2017, 07:55:51 AM
So the clubs are finally going to grow a backbone and stand up to the CB? And THIS is what they are going to make a stand on? We're fucked as a county.

Well I do think if the infamous "Drinkgate" CB meeting hadn't have gone the way it did, myself & Tony would still be arguing over how much time a Mr. P. Creedon should get. I do think that meeting shook the CB a little, and I do think that they were happy enough to retain P. Creedon up to that point.
One delegate telling stories with no evidence to back it up, is an uprising?

No, but several prominent delegates spoke out strongly against his reappointment. (Conway, Lawlor, Burke etc)
I honestly think the CB would have went away, conducted a "review" and come back and proposed him for reappointment if this hadn't of happened. I never mentioned anything about uprising etc but I do think those at the top are politically skilled enough to read which way the wind is blowing.
I wouldn't have thought Billy would have been acceptable to the clubs of Laois, that's why I don't think they will chance it.
The delegates above effectively stood up to the CB on reappointing Creedon, they won't chance putting a stupid appointment in front of them (not saying BS would be a stupid appointment.
I said here months ago that he is the type of character who would be ideal in the backroom, wouldn't have expected him to be given the manager's gig.
Until these delegates vote down something put in front of them by the CB, I believe nothing. Everyone needs their All Ireland tickets.
In this case the club delegates will vote on something put before them by CLUBS.

Don Draper

Quote from: The Monument Road on August 28, 2017, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 28, 2017, 11:43:43 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 28, 2017, 11:40:35 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 28, 2017, 10:53:38 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 28, 2017, 10:36:17 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 28, 2017, 07:55:51 AM
So the clubs are finally going to grow a backbone and stand up to the CB? And THIS is what they are going to make a stand on? We're fucked as a county.

Well I do think if the infamous "Drinkgate" CB meeting hadn't have gone the way it did, myself & Tony would still be arguing over how much time a Mr. P. Creedon should get. I do think that meeting shook the CB a little, and I do think that they were happy enough to retain P. Creedon up to that point.
One delegate telling stories with no evidence to back it up, is an uprising?

No, but several prominent delegates spoke out strongly against his reappointment. (Conway, Lawlor, Burke etc)
I honestly think the CB would have went away, conducted a "review" and come back and proposed him for reappointment if this hadn't of happened. I never mentioned anything about uprising etc but I do think those at the top are politically skilled enough to read which way the wind is blowing.
I wouldn't have thought Billy would have been acceptable to the clubs of Laois, that's why I don't think they will chance it.
The delegates above effectively stood up to the CB on reappointing Creedon, they won't chance putting a stupid appointment in front of them (not saying BS would be a stupid appointment.
I said here months ago that he is the type of character who would be ideal in the backroom, wouldn't have expected him to be given the manager's gig.
Until these delegates vote down something put in front of them by the CB, I believe nothing. Everyone needs their All Ireland tickets.
In this case the club delegates will vote on something put before them by CLUBS.
Lets wait with baited breath.

Tony

Not so sure if Billy Sheehan will get the job, but if he does I'd be pleased enough. He ticks a lot of the boxes:

1: He's passionate about Laois football
2: He's incredibly tactically minded (just look at this article http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/laois-star-billy-sheehan-on-how-to-beat-the-blanket-defence-31386943.html  ) with a good head for the game and a knowledge of how good S&C is paramount.
3: He's committed and hard-working.
4: He has the respect of the players (and any player who doesn't show up just because Billy is named manager doesn't deserve to have the honour of putting on the jersey anyway)
5: He would be prepared to commit to Laois for at least 3 years and knows the club scene inside out.

He has a few question marks over his head, for example: he doesn't have huge experience. But then again which potential canditate does have excellent managerial experience.

I hear Malachy, Higgins and Clancy are not interested.
I haven't heard what John Sugrue thinks but I do believe he'd be another good option, but we don't have many other good options.

What we need most is someone who has PASSION for the county and who will really invest his all into the job. Lillis, TOF and Creedon failed at that. At least we know Billy will give his all. Good luck to him if he gets it.

steven seagal

Quote4: He has the respect of the players (and any player who doesn't show up just because Billy is named manager doesn't deserve to have the honour of putting on the jersey anyway)

That's an important point, he was players rep when he was on the panel, if you talk to anyone that played with him, they always speak very highly of him. Not all Laois fans took to him, but the players loved Billy. Building up a good relationship with the players will be important for the new manager, especially if we bring in a load of young lads who'll need a bit of confidence.

BallyroanAbu

Tony don't know where your getting that Higgins, Clancy are not interested.  Don't know about Malachy or Sugrue.   Billy Sheehan is not a passionate Laois Man, thus Neymar is passionate for Barcelona when he kisses the badge.  Tony I have no doubt of your passion for Laois.  Billy is a passionate GAA MAN,  but his allegiance to this county is one of convenience.   He was only here as long as it suited him and he has returned because it suited him.  I am sure he is a nice fella on a personal level,  but in my opinion he is petrol on a fire.  It is not of his making, but the County Board should they try to implement this will further drive a wedge between themselves and some of the clubs they claim to represent.  I honestly have no idea how you make Billy a passionate Laois Man.  Tony you called me an idiot when I told you Creedon was a dreadful appointment(that was last September), you also claimed that he was popular with the team (they died with their boots on for him ???).  Well I am telling you the appointment of Billy Sheehan has the possiblity of being a whole lot worse(I don't doubt he has some coaching ability) but like Creedon he has no hope of being universally popular among the Laois GAA public, in fact he is quite the opposite, he is very polarising.  Without the fans, clubs, sponsors and potential players being behind you, it makes any chance of success nearly impossible.

I don't forsee Billy doing much in 3 years except getting out of Div 4 but hey ho whats 3 wasted years.

While I am passionate for Laois Football,  I won't be a mug for it.

The Monument Road

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 28, 2017, 03:14:55 PM
Tony don't know where your getting that Higgins, Clancy are not interested.  Don't know about Malachy or Sugrue.   Billy Sheehan is not a passionate Laois Man, thus Neymar is passionate for Barcelona when he kisses the badge.  Tony I have no doubt of your passion for Laois.  Billy is a passionate GAA MAN,  but his allegiance to this county is one of convenience.   He was only here as long as it suited him and he has returned because it suited him.  I am sure he is a nice fella on a personal level,  but in my opinion he is petrol on a fire.  It is not of his making, but the County Board should they try to implement this will further drive a wedge between themselves and some of the clubs they claim to represent.  I honestly have no idea how you make Billy a passionate Laois Man.  Tony you called me an idiot when I told you Creedon was a dreadful appointment(that was last September), you also claimed that he was popular with the team (they died with their boots on for him ???).  Well I am telling you the appointment of Billy Sheehan has the possiblity of being a whole lot worse(I don't doubt he has some coaching ability) but like Creedon he has no hope of being universally popular among the Laois GAA public, in fact he is quite the opposite, he is very polarising.  Without the fans, clubs, sponsors and potential players being behind you, it makes any chance of success nearly impossible.

I don't forsee Billy doing much in 3 years except getting out of Div 4 but hey ho whats 3 wasted years.

Its a fact. Both not interested at this stage

BallyroanAbu

Thats rubbish, why did they bother been interviewed if they are not interested.  I would think attending the interview would be a statement of intent.   

High Fielder

Maybe they just went in out of courtesy. You've done enough canvassing for them here that they probably got an invite. Do you know for certain if they were interested or not? Would Billy's qualifications not be better, having been a number 2 with Cork?

town1980

as i stated he must have qualifications to coach but the qualification to manage is a  totally differant art lads thats the key point and not many people have that skill,coaching in cork is different than managing cork,but if he gets it ill wish him the best of luck 

High Fielder

Same old Laois. We know better always. Still haven't got the players.......

OTF

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 28, 2017, 03:14:55 PM

Universal approval  !!!    are you for real, ask Micko ( during his time in Kerry) Ger Lougnane, Dave Fitz,  Harte,   Paudi,  Rochford,  have the county love him the other have well.....Laois no different at least ???

If we had Jim Gavin and the funding available to him where would that get us next year or  the year after  ???   division 3  and probably back to  division 4. because we simply don't have the players.

BallyroanAbu

Sustained  cash will get you along way regardless of talent.  You may not win All Irelands but you will be competitive. 

High Fielder

You have to have the talent. The local Championship shows how weak Laois really is. I commend ANYONE who wants to come in and give it a go. I wouldn't envy them in the slightest because in my opinion the standard of player is the worst it has ever been. The whole manager thing is a smokescreen. We don't have the players but nobody wants to admit that. Give it to Billy, Sugrue or whoever and just get on with it. Try to make things better in the future.

town1980

Is there a meeting tonight on this?

Tony

Ballyroanabu, if he's not passionate about Laois football, then why does he attend nearly all Laois games, bringing his two young kids draped head to toe in Laois gear with him?

I for one do not understand some people's anger for him. Sure he was out of line sometimes on the pitch but he gave his absolute all for Laois every time he played with us and was very proud to play for us. I don't believe he was the most talented player at all but he made up for it with heart and determination. If he brings the same attitude of determination to the managerial role, we can do a lot lot worse, in my opinion.