GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Old yeller on February 12, 2015, 07:43:02 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2015, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: Old yeller on February 12, 2015, 07:31:05 PM
Why would anybody care whether the games are played by "natives"? I dont get it.

What do you mean by natives?
Someone referred to non irish in other countries as natives earlier.

That was me. I think if a sport is to take root, it has to draw from native non-irish as well. If it's to always stay as a pastime for irish ex-pats so be it , but any growth would have to feature the 'natives'.

BennyHarp

Why would anybody care whether the games are played by "natives"? I dont get it.

It's great watching non irish kids enjoying the game. I took an enhancement at my 6th form college whereby, with help from the county Games development officer, we put a group of students through their foundation and level 1 coaching certificates.  Once this was completed we allocated them a local primary school were they coached the game to year 4,5 and 6. Most of the lads involved in the coaching were non Irish, but were a massive asset to what we were trying to do. As part of the process we took one of the primary school teams from leeds to Birmingham for a blitz and the team was made up of lads from all different colours, creeds and backgrounds. (Even a young Samoan kid in goals) While they were training for the event they were as enthusiastic as any irish kids would be and their skill level even after just a few sessions was superb. Unfortunately most of the better ones were either signed by Leeds Utd, Leeds Rhinos or Yorkshire cricket clubs and it was difficult to attract them away from that. That to me is the challenge and if we want to develop the game then we need to make GAA as attractive as an alternative. Being on a Sky may not be the reason why this might happen but it adds to credibility of of the game. Gaelic football is too good a sport to be kept to just the Irish, let's get everyone playing and see where it takes us.
That was never a square ball!!

Eamonnca1

If you propose a motion to unilaterally change the terms of a legally-binding contract, it's a good bet it's going to be ruled out of order. Better that than have it pass only to be ruled illegal on a court of law.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 12, 2015, 08:52:52 PM
If you propose a motion to unilaterally change the terms of a legally-binding contract, it's a good bet it's going to be ruled out of order. Better that than have it pass only to be ruled illegal on a court of law.

The proposal was for AFTER the current deal expired as far as I am aware.

Zulu

Why wouldn't we want non-Irish playing our games, especially when we are playing them in their countries?

Btw, I agree Benny we need to work towards making GAA an attractive alternative to the main sports. We may lose some of the more talented players but that's going to happen anyway so we should focus on providing players with a decent, structured season.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on February 12, 2015, 09:27:38 PM

Why wouldn't we want non-Irish playing our games, especially when we are playing them in their countries?

Btw, I agree Benny we need to work towards making GAA an attractive alternative to the main sports. We may lose some of the more talented players but that's going to happen anyway so we should focus on providing players with a decent, structured season.

Yes, that's the key thing, though that's even difficult at senior level here.
That was never a square ball!!

sheamy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 12, 2015, 08:52:52 PM

2017. Do pay attention.

Still, they ruled it not either a rule or an enactment of a rule which is kinda hard to argue with.

Better luck next year!

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2015, 09:44:07 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 12, 2015, 09:27:38 PM

Yes, that's the key thing, though that's even difficult at senior level here.

True, but easier at underage level I hope if we get enough players who will at least pick GAA as their second sport. Were looking to link up with Yorkshire schools and underage clubs btw so if you've anything going on in your area let me know.

rosnarun

almost impossible to give a decent, structured season when you are dealing with 4 seperate entities and treating them all with(Ahem) Parity of Esteem
Senior Club hurling and Football along with Senior couunty hurling and Football are not allowed to clash esp in dual counties some county football championships are posponed indefinetly un till the county is out of the Hurling championship for the sake of one or two players
this is madness and some one has to bite the bullet and maybe completley seperate all 4 or else we will be discussing this in 20 years time
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Minder

Jim McGuinness & JJ Delaney have joined the team
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JoG2

Quote from: Minder on May 05, 2015, 12:47:16 PM

does his level best to ruin the sport, then join's Murdoch's Sky trying to promote the thing. Good man Jim !

orangeman

Quote from: JoG2 on May 05, 2015, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 05, 2015, 12:47:16 PM

does his level best to ruin the sport, then join's Murdoch's Sky trying to promote the thing. Good man Jim !

Strange way of looking at it but I understand where you're coming from. I see it as Sky getting a high profile manager who has been there done that and would have more than a little insight into defensive systems that are now prevalent.

rrhf

I would suggest that he will have more cleverness and insight to offer than the topless darts style of punditry  favoured by Rte.

Main Street

Will the new pundits, Jim McGuinness & JJ Delaney raise the profile of Sky Sports, from a few hundred viewers to a little bit more than that, or a little bit less?  definitely good news though, is that Sky Sports have the exclusive on the other semi-final side,  the dark (darker?) side of the Ulster championship draw.
Hundreds of thousands of  GAA aficionados will be doing something else that day, other than watching that Ulster semi final. That's not a bad thing, is it?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: rrhf on May 05, 2015, 09:23:47 PM
I would suggest that he will have more cleverness and insight to offer than the topless darts style of punditry  favoured by Rte.

That's an awful thing to say about topless darts.