GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2014, 04:21:56 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 04:19:16 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 03:44:04 PM
Now that it's happening, who would you like to see on the matchday panels. Who are hurling and football equivalents of Gary Neville or (shudder) Jamie Redknapp. I don't care who they get as long as they deliver their analysis in a way which shows they actually enjoy the games. If they *don't* enjoy the games, then don't be on the panel.

Hurling: Daith Regan/Michael Duignan/Jamsie O'Connor maybe? Can't see new viewers taking to Cyril, Ger Loughnane or Tomás Mulcahy.
Football : Dara O'Cinneide maybe? Darragh O'Sé? Jarlath Burns? Anyone else untainted by RTE's cynicism?

The thing is, whatever about anchors or commentators there is a potential treasure trove of analysts who could be used. Though I think they might need to be a bit more urban than some knowledgeable people would be, no point in saying something insightful if nobody across the water can understand you :).

I think McStay (not everyone's cup of tea I know), Canavan, O'Cinneide, Conor Deegan and Anthony Moyles would be good options. There are definitely good ex-players and managers that haven't got a good crack at it on a national level that would be excellent.
Do they have to be ex-players or ex managers? Watching Marty Morrissey's thing last year I was thinking journalists are often far more interesting than the former player/manager crowd.
100%. I find Malachy Clerkin excellent and the lad from Wexford on Off The Ball too is spot on.

Zulu

Now that it's happening, who would you like to see on the matchday panels. Who are hurling and football equivalents of Gary Neville or (shudder) Jamie Redknapp. I don't care who they get as long as they deliver their analysis in a way which shows they actually enjoy the games. If they *don't* enjoy the games, then don't be on the panel.

Hurling: Daith Regan/Michael Duignan/Jamsie O'Connor maybe? Can't see new viewers taking to Cyril, Ger Loughnane or Tomás Mulcahy.
Football : Dara O'Cinneide maybe? Darragh O'Sé? Jarlath Burns? Anyone else untainted by RTE's cynicism?

The thing is, whatever about anchors or commentators there is a potential treasure trove of analysts who could be used. Though I think they might need to be a bit more urban than some knowledgeable people would be, no point in saying something insightful if nobody across the water can understand you :).

I think McStay (not everyone's cup of tea I know), Canavan, O'Cinneide, Conor Deegan and Anthony Moyles would be good options. There are definitely good ex-players and managers that haven't got a good crack at it on a national level that would be excellent.
Do they have to be ex-players or ex managers? Watching Marty Morrissey's thing last year I was thinking journalists are often far more interesting than the former player/manager crowd.

Agree and I've often thought that myself. Furthermore they tend to be a bit forthright and balanced.

Bingo

Could be a way back for Richard Keyes as the anchor.  ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on April 02, 2014, 04:35:56 PM

100%. I find Malachy Clerkin excellent and the lad from Wexford on Off The Ball too is spot on.
Is the lad from Wexford not Dizzy Lyng, the ex hurler?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 04:41:16 PM

Gizzy, you're getting mixed up with your aul hi hop.  ;D ;D ;D Not a huge fan of Gizzy, talks a lot of sense but takes a long time to get the right words out. I'd love to see Kieran Shannon involved.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Sorry, I should have said Gizzy. I'm never sure which one it is :) But he's an ex-hurler, not a journo anyhow.

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 04:41:16 PM

Jeeze, would have sworn he was a journo.
Eoin McDevitt to anchor?

seafoid

Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 04:36:52 PM

Agree and I've often thought that myself. Furthermore they tend to be a bit forthright and balanced.
They also have a wider perspective. You don't tend to get much insights into how systems evolve from players - journalists have a longer reference frame as well. And they are used to putting coherent points together
Gerlock was interviewed by Canning over the Christmas about the Clare hurlers and he was very low in content. 

johnneycool

Paul Galvin would give Jamie a run for it in the tight trousers stakes.

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2014, 04:54:49 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 04:36:52 PM

They also have a wider perspective. You don't tend to get much insights into how systems evolve from players - journalists have a longer reference frame as well. And they are used to putting coherent points together
Gerlock was interviewed by Canning over the Christmas about the Clare hurlers and he was very low in content.

God you'd miss Cyrils insight all the same, he can tell you how so and so played with their club in a certain position ages ago.
The man is a walking fountain of knowledge and not a bluffer like some.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 04:51:38 PM
Sorry, I should have said Gizzy. I'm never sure which one it is :) But he's an ex-hurler, not a journo anyhow.

Think he's one now, works with TG4 and has written a few columns with the Indo (I know). Fairly sure he has or is studing for a masters in journalism, or that could be Parkinson.

Michael Foley, Christy O'Connor, Denis Walsh other journos that would do a good job as panelists.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Bingo

If Naill Quinn doesn't turn up for a hurling game I'll be shocked.

orangeman

Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2014, 09:28:56 AM
Liam O'Neill is obviously new to the media game

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0401/606068-oneill-denies-comments-were-insulting/

He added: "Paraic Duffy and I are as conservative and traditional as you will get in the GAA. We are looking at a package here that will satisfy the broad group of people that we are trying to satisfy. "Those that want to constantly refer to those that won't get to see those games will harp on and quite frankly you couldn't please everybody anyway and that's the nature of it."

I would love to see the Apres Match team riffing on that

It gets better - see the Indo.

GAA President Liam O'Neill has heavily criticised RTE for the way they handled the news that Sky would be broadcasting 14 Championship games exclusively this year.

O'Neill says that he felt that coverage of the rights announcement was unbalanced and was heavily critical of RTE in particular.

"An awful lot of the reaction was misinformed because they reacted before the news story," the GAA President told GAA.ie

"That was a bit unprofessional of some people doing that.

"Then, when they got the information, they zoned in on one particular part of the deal. And quite frankly, in relation to last night, we are shocked by the treatment we got from RTÉ. Every single one of the interviews was aggressive.

"RTÉ are our partners. They have got 31 of our games. They have radio, we give them access beyond what would be given to broadcasters in other sports and in other countries. We didn't expect them to be in our favour - we weren't looking for that. We were looking for balance and I don't think we got balance last night."

O'Neill urged GAA fans to look at the deal in its entirety.

"The easiest thing to do, if Páraic and I wanted to get through these negotiations, all we had to do was say no, to do what we had always done," he added.

"But we said we would step out beyond that, and I've admitted last night on RTÉ that when you make a decision like this, of course you are nervous.

"Of course you are concerned that it might not turn out as you want it. But the fact of the matter is we have done it now. We've taken that leap of faith and my message to the followers on the ground would be to sit back and enjoy the games you want to go to and sit back and enjoy the coverage and let's judge all of this at the end of the day."

Zulu

Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 02, 2014, 05:41:11 PM
i wonder how many people here that support the gaa giving sky exclusive rights for some championship games would also never buy a copy of the sun newspaper??

I certainly wouldn't but that's cause it's rubbish. I'm not sure why some are pursuing the Murdoch angle and the, perhaps, dubious morals of his corporation. If we all refused to buy products from corporations with suspect morals and politics with didn't agree with then we'd be living fairly basic lives.

joey brandon

O'Neill and that other finger pointing fckhead are sneaky cowardly lieing cheating deceitful intrustworthy rats. Not bothering to put this to congress illustrate this succinctly.